Thomas's +50 Day Challenge

Options
VRHockey
VRHockey Posts: 62 Member
Hello all,

My goal is going to take me longer than 50 days but I want to see how far I can get in that amount of time.
I am aiming to get to about 170 or so. Gotta get the fresh winter bod right?

Pre-Challenge Check-In:
Weight: 219 lbs
Waist: ~36 in.
Weekly Weight Loss: 0 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 0 lbs
% of Goal (14.3 lbs): 0%

I took pics and will post them at some point. Just too pooped since I JUST finished my first round.

Replies

• VRHockey
    Options
    Day 1 completed (mostly)

Audioshield: 20 minutes
    Thrill of the Fight: 10 minutes (only recorded 1/2)
    Holopoint: 14 minutes

Average bpm: 144
    Highest bpm: 162
    Est. Calorie burn: 377

Next time I plan to record them all together instead of individually but I figured that there was some tutorials or something I would need to go through so I took "breaks" to not count that.
    I had to stop early due to being exhausted and how much I was sweating. I was concerned for any damage to the headset from me slipping or just per sweat.

All in all though, I love this. I can't wait to do tomorrow's set!
  • VRHockey
    Options
    After some rest and dry off, I went back and did Holoball.
    Loved it

Holoball: 24 minutes
    Average bpm: 135
    Highest bpm: 162
    Est. Calorie burn: 306

I feel a lot more comfortable calling it a day after that
  • TheBoa1
    TheBoa1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You should look into a leather face shield for your device. I'm a heavy sweater and it helps me a ton with keeping the sweat away from the headset and not accumulating on the foam.
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Face shield? Got a link to one?
  • mcoppola07
    mcoppola07 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    https://vrcover.com/

I think he's talking about this. Personally, I just wear a sweatband under the Vive and set up a lot of fans around my area. To each his own!
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Ah, I see. I have a box AC that is right next to my workout area. I didn't think I needed it as low as I apparently do but I think that should resolve it
  • LepperMessiah1
    LepperMessiah1 Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey Thomas, off to a great start there! I'm really hoping that Gen 2 will be lighter and more breathable, because the sweat factor is definitely an issue. Sounds like having the AC cranked and blowing directly into your play space will work.

Here are some links to the products I use to promote breathability/ventilation:

Bandana: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9IUKP8/
    Sweat Band: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JS64LU/
    Standing Fan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4QP8N2/
    Floor Fan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R1Q0OG/
    Bluetooth Earbuds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJLMBSO/

Personally, I'm reluctant to use the waterproof VR cover (which I do own) to workout with. Seems to me like the pleather material doesn't breathe, and it would actually make me sweat more and increase the humidity inside the headset. I may pick up a pair of the cloth VR covers if and when they appear on Amazon. I hear they are fairly absorbent.

As it is, the bandana and the headband absorb quite a lot of sweat, it's really only the foam that sits on my cheeks that gets fully saturated, but no sweat ever seems to get any further than that.

On a related note, the weighted vest I use makes me sweat a lot more. It's comparable to wearing a trash bag. Lol.
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Day 2 complete! (Man I'm beat)
    Audio shield: 13 minutes
    Thrill of the Fight: 10 minutes
    Holopoint: 22 minutes
    Holoball: 16 minutes.

Recap:
    I get wayyyyyyyyyy too into Holoball, so tomorrow I will be switching audio shield and it.
    I also have a shoulder issue from the Army which usually doesn't stop me from doing too much but it is flaring up during Thrill of the Fight, so I might have to rotate that one and not use it regularly.

Sweat:
    I recharged and used my Jam Bluetooth headphones and that helped quite a bit as did dropping my AC 5 degrees.
    Depending on how the next few days go, I might still invest in a headband/bandana or at least a fan as my AC is crap at moving air.

iyj3h2k8sbxw.png
  • VRHockey
    Options
    So, before I go to sleep, I see if I am in the negative or positive with calories.
    Today I would have been -100 calories (bad thing by MFP)
    I overcorrected too hard and now have 472 extra calories I could spend.
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    Great workout! 825 calories is a really solid number for a 1 hour workout. I hear what you're saying about HoloBall... it's really not the ideal cooldown game, because if you get really into it, you're going to be going at a much harder pace.

I also have shoulder issues (congenital shoulder instability) and TTotF has occasionally caused me issue. Have you tried switching your dominant side? I found when I reversed my stance, that gave my shoulders a break.

I wish MFP had a calorie rollover/calorie adjustment feature. I had to create a custom "workout" and a custom "meal" to serve that purpose.
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Day 3 (The day of pain)
    Holoball: 24 minutes
    Holopoint: 11 minutes

My shoulder was not pleased with yesterday. Stiff most of the day, in pain for all of it. Went lighter on today's workout than I wanted to but I have no intention of injuring myself further. Fortunately, I will be playing some lighter games on the Vive tonight with some friends, so while not too fantastic, it will hopefully keep me in the blue range.s1jt1nid1fr6.png
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    My shoulder was not pleased with yesterday. Stiff most of the day, in pain for all of it. Went lighter on today's workout than I wanted to but I have no intention of injuring myself further. Fortunately, I will be playing some lighter games on the Vive tonight with some friends, so while not too fantastic, it will hopefully keep me in the blue range.

Not sure what the extent of your shoulder issues are, but always good to tread carefully when it comes to shoulders.

Here's a shoulder rehab circuit I've used to great success with my own shoulder issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Day 5
    Holoball: 11 minutes
    Sword Master VR: 22 minutes
    Holopoint: 11 minutes

First off I want to say that I appreciate the help you guys have given me for my shoulder but it is an ongoing issue with the VR and not a lot I can do about it until they check it out.

Well, I took yesterday completely off and it helped. While still a bit sore, it is more akin to the usual level of pain, so easily manageable. I also changed from Thrill of the Fight to Sword Master VR. While I did not get the same level as Thrill of the Fight, I am still in the early phases and only using one hand at the moment. The ability to switch between hands between fights was exactly what I needed. The only reason I had to cut today short was that I forgot to charge the controllers, so one died mid Holopoint. Charging them currently and I'll probably end up playing an hour or so of Audio shield. I love playing that game outside of my workouts. It is low key but gets me up and moving enough to really make a difference. r5kr3peyg8y2.png
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Day 5.5
    Audioshield
    Sword Master VR
    Onward

I wanted to lose some more calories and ended up losing myself in these 3 games. I am satisfiedjjrjm248a04h.png
    with the results
  • TheBoa1
    TheBoa1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Over 1600! That's incredible even in 2:30 hours. Basically a day's worth of food. I see you included Onward on your list. How active are you while playing it? I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.
  • VRHockey
    Options
    I played Onward for that last hour. While I wasn't too active there is a fair amount of moving and positioning which keeps you more active than other games. I'd say it is a good choice for cool down as you are moving but there isn't a huge amount.
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    You da marathon man!
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Day 6 (With more to come)

Holoball: 28:58
    Sword Master: 23:18
    Holopoint: 6:59
    Audioshield: 17:44

Started using the "Lap" feature to clock the different games. Much easier!
    I wasn't able to get the room temp low enough before I started playing and still haven't purchased an additional fan. This being the case, I had a higher amount of sweat and had to take a break mid Sword Master and then with Holopoint. I will be playing more Audio shield and Onward later today, got more calories to burn :)

1piqz2xyypwx.png
  • VRHockey
    Options
    Day 6.5

Holoball
    Sword Master
    Audioshield
    Onward

I just felt like playing what sounded good until I had burnt off more calories than I had today.
    Pretty happy with the results, even if it was only JUST BARELY in my favor6tx2r5fapedh.png
    6.5.png 53.1K
  • VRHockey
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I did a bout of Space Pirate Trainer. I found that if you only use the shields, and only use them in sword mode, you can get an okay workout from it.