Meal plan

Options
Hello, I am starting 5:2 when I am back from holiday. I think for the first few days doing my 500cals I may try and stick to a late breakfast and dinner. What sort of things do you eat that are low cal and filling pls xxxx

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hi Charlotte. For fast days I tend to keep it simple and it depends on my mood. I'll either have three small bowls of oats (eaten English porridge style) which I'll eat between 4pm and 10 pm, or I'll have one small bowl of oats and a meal of grilled chicken and a mountain of vegetables.

On non-fast days, I just aim for 1600 cals or thereabouts (sometimes over, sometimes under) and try to eat food that I will be eating for the rest of my life rather than 'diet' food. So while I may be getting all my fruit and veg in, I'll also stop by chocolate treats too and occasional pizza ^^
  • charlottetaylor123456
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Hi Charlotte. For fast days I tend to keep it simple and it depends on my mood. I'll either have three small bowls of oats (eaten English porridge style) which I'll eat between 4pm and 10 pm, or I'll have one small bowl of oats and a meal of grilled chicken and a mountain of vegetables.

On non-fast days, I just aim for 1600 cals or thereabouts (sometimes over, sometimes under) and try to eat food that I will be eating for the rest of my life rather than 'diet' food. So while I may be getting all my fruit and veg in, I'll also stop by chocolate treats too and occasional pizza ^^

Thank you for your help. Is that 1600 your TDEE? Mine is 2300 for non fast day which seems a lot! I like the idea of 3 bowls of porridge! X
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Fast days - I skip breakfast and eat a 100-150cal lunch. Today 250g green beans and a small egg in a broth. Dinner was 200g spiralized cucumber / 200g bell pepper / small onion stir fried with 100g of tuna (in water). For 'dessert' there was room for a high protein fat free greek yogurt with 2 fresh plums and a tsp chia seeds. I very the veg, but the broth for lunch and the greek yogurt with fruit are fast day staples. In winter I often make 4kg of veggie soup or veggie/chicken chilli. I portion them to 150-200cal and freeze them. Then there is less thinking to do ;-)

General rule of thumb for me - keep protein high and grain carbs low, because protein keeps me full and grain carbs make me ravenous ;-) Still like them, but I try to keep them a bit limited.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »

Thank you for your help. Is that 1600 your TDEE? Mine is 2300 for non fast day which seems a lot! I like the idea of 3 bowls of porridge! X

I work out an average TDEE once a month, based on my data from the past month, and then use that to decide what calorie goal to aim for each day. I'll stress that I only aim for my goal - some days I eat over 2000 cals, others I'm below 1400.

When I last worked out my TDEE, it was 1785 cals - but I'm pretty sedentary so this was no surprise! To lose a pound a week, I therefore need to eat 1600 cals five days a week and 500 cals two days a week.

To work this out:

1) Add up total calories in (meals eaten for the last 30 days) plus calories of weight loss for the month (pounds multiplied by 3500), then divide that sum by 30 for a daily average TDEE.

2) Multiply that by 7 to get a weekly TDEE. Then subtract what you want to be your calorie deficit for the week. I usually subtract 3500 cals as I'm roughly looking to lose a pound a week.

3) Subtract 1000 cals - which represents the two fast days, and divide the remaining number by 5 to get the average calorie goal for the non fast days.