Living the Lifestyle Thursday 9/22/16

Options
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Topic: Worth it

Question: What makes a food “worth it” to you?

Replies

• MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    As part of my somewhat tardy acceptance of “for a lifetime,” I’ve been thinking about what makes a food “worth it.” Sometimes it is being able to eat a particular item in a quantity that satisfies (baby carrots, cut up fruit). At other times, I am judging a food by its flavor. Real mozzarella and real parmesan cheese make a difference to me in my cooking, while I’m okay with fat-free sharp cheddar slices on my breakfast sandwich. Sometimes the “worth it” factor is who I am with or where I am. Special occasions or seldom repeatable events make some food decisions worth it.

I’m not very introspective by nature. Thinking about why I am eating a particular food, and taking the time to decide if it fits one of those categories has been a learning process for me. Changing my thinking from "No, I can't eat that!" to "Yes, I can eat that, but do I want to eat it?" Is taking some time.

Thanks in advance for your responses! I'm traveling today and won't have much opportunity to check back in during the day.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've come to appreciate that I'm a "texture" eater.

What I mean by that is I'm not a foodie or anything like that. I really don't have a developed palate that can tell the difference between average and fancy food. I don't get all of the subtle distinctions in flavors that play off of each other. I don't generally get the flavor combinations that allow different wines to pair properly with different foods.

Instead, I often enjoy the texture of foods, and I think that's what I often respond most to. For example, I love pasta with just a bit of cheese melted in as it gives it a unique "goopy" feel. I care a lot about just how crunchy versus chewy a slice of pizza is. I like my salmon cooked in a particular way so it's more firm than slimy feeling. Etc.

Thus, I don't make a big deal about "spending calories" to make sure I've got real cheese, or full-fat cheese, in my meal. In general I don't find desserts to be that critical to my enjoyment, and so they're not "worth-it" to me (mostly). Instead, I'm usually very happy with simple meals that aren't too laden with sauces and other high-calorie add-ons.

With that said, having a glass of wine or a beer with a meal (on the weekend) is nearly always "worth it!" This has been the biggest challenge to my weight-management efforts, and I think I'm having some success lately because I've finally managed to curtail my extra weekday alcohol intake!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Like Steve wrote, I also don't have the ability to discern the different between ordinary and fancy food. I also have texture issues which has turned me off of many fruits and veggies at an early age.

Chocolate, though, is a part of my daily food intake as it is worth it to me. But generally something that I have made. Most commercial stuff I can take or leave.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    Texture also is a big deal for me. However, taste is the most important thing. I eat for flavor.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pondering this, I think I'm a visual eater. If it looks good, I want to eat it. I'm in California and we have laws that restaurants have to put calorie counts on their menus and boards. This has helped me a lot - I look at something, then look at the calorie tag, and decide, if via appearance of the food, the item is worth the calories/points. Starbucks is a prime example of this - I used to get pastries there once or twice a week when I'd get a coffee. WOW - that's some high calorie stuff - no more impulse pastries for me.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Worth it...sometimes means I really enjoy it, but don't eat it often and the version I am contemplating to consume, must be well done/cooked well. Typically around dessert.

The foods I eat everyday that are "healthy" - the right portion - generally work within my lifestyle are also "worth it."
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    1) Is it something that I find tasty?
    2) If yes to #1, does it fit within my calories for the day?
    3) If yes to #2, then go ahead and track and eat.
    4) If no to #2, are the consequences of choosing to eat this food really worth the consumption?

YMMV...
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Taste for sure. If it is mediocre or good but not great it is just a big meh{?} for me. Doesn't mean that my usual fare has to be off the charts as it does not.
    I do try to add seasonings etc to make my daily eating tasty but it isn't off the charts "worldclass" by any means.
    "Treats" (for lack of a better word) had better be great. Pizza too has to be great or why bother.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    Taste is the big one for me. In fact that's where the problem can start for me. If it has a great taste I really can go overboard if not careful. I figure though I'm not by my self when it comes to a good pastry or a good creamy bisque or something like that. I also have come to like a small amount of chocolate like two kisses and a glass of skim milk before bed. Overall though if it doesn't taste good I just don't go for it.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I usually ask myself these questions to decide if something is worth it:
    1) Does this food provide health benefits?
    2) Does this food fit into my calorie goals?
    3) Am I going to regret not eating this food?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Good question.

Depends. Guess I'm a volume eater. Thing I always want to know is if the portion is going to be enough to satisfy me. Sometime I just want filled with fuel. Sometime I want a treat. But I always want to get enough. One Girl Scout cookie wouldn't satisfy me. I'd better just stay away.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    The food's got to be good. Maybe it's homemade, maybe not but it's well prepared and flavorful. It's often but not always something I can't or don't get in my own zip code. If I'm on my game, it's something to savor, not snarf. I've surprised myself in that I've found I'd rather eat a little of something really good than a lot of something mediocre. Oh, and 'worth it' to me can come from any of the food groups. I'm an equal-opportunity eater (and drinker).

Worth it with respect to indulgences is as much about the experience as it is the food. If it's just me shoving food in my face like in the 'good old days', nothing yet has rung the worth-it bell. However, one of the things I like about WW is it can be done in different ways on different days. So if there's a special occasion or spontaneous event that can push something up the worthiness scale for me.