Injury or just need a break?

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
I'll start by saying I realize the advice of a medical professional should be sought. But, with all of the lifting experience of the people here maybe someone can give me some insight.
I have had pain/soreness in my left arm, mostly, when doing any upper body lifts. I notice it most during OHP, incline bench or anything that engages my shoulder. I do feel it a bit in the right arm but worse in left.
I had been doing PHUL for weeks and first felt the pain then and then went on vacation in July. I did no exercise for a week, other than splashing in pools and in lakes. I'd hoped it was just overuse and would heal up but when I got back to training the pain was back.
It doesn't hinder my every day life, just bothers me while doing certain lifts. It feels to me like muscle pain, in my bicep. I could go see my GP but wonder if anyone here has had this kind of injury? In 2 yrs of lifting this is my first injury.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    By "bicep" do you mean in the middle of the muscle, or near one of the joints? And by "doesn't hinder" do you still feel the pain but it's bearable and you can work through it, or do you not feel it at all unless you do certain activities?
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    It's hard to pinpoint, but I'd say it feels like the middle of my bicep. Pain seems to come from upper arm between shoulder and elbow. Doesn't hurt to bend elbow without weight. I do feel some pain when i press my arms upward without weight. Shoulder or tendon issue, maybe.I don't feel any pain during normal daily activities. Probably it would hurt if I liftmy 35lb child up high. I'm taking her to the playground later so I will test it out.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it *could* be coracobrachialis tendonitis or similar.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Off to google that now! Thnx @Fittreelol
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    That could be it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have some similar pain/soreness/inflammation similarly where my brachialis is too. The best thing I've found is just direct soft tissue manipulation (choose your method). I just dig my thumb in where it hurts the worst and loosen everything up. It's amazing how much it can help and how quickly. Common with pressing movements from what I've seen and experienced.