Warning - I'm thinking of leaving (on a jet plane)

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
I hate to go, but I wanted to give this warning to all others out there. I updated my iPhone with the update 10 and MFP was glitchy (as it is after every update), so as usual I uninstalled and reinstalled it. DON'T. If you are not a premium customer at the outrageous prices they charge (IMO), DO NOT DO IT. All your old data will be held hostage. This never happened before, it's another new UA "feature". I hope UA keeps this warning and doesn't delete this post.

I can't see any of my old foods. I can't see my weight loss progress for the last two years. When I try, I get a friendly notice from MFP that if I want to "export" my old data I can... if I go premium. So all my old meals are gone. All my tracking now useless.

I'm very disappointed in this. It's obvious everyone of us will at one point HAVE to reinstall MFP. Maybe your phone will die, you'll upgrade to a better phone, whatever. When that happens, you will have your data held hostage for the first time. This is a new thing. I've reinstalled it plenty of times in the past and this never happened before.

I hope MFP changes it. Based on how much they listen to our requests (i.e.: scale weight, net carbs), I doubt it. I'm considering paying ten bucks a month to get the old info back but the Yankee rebel in me is balking at rewarding what I see as an underhanded greedy move on their part. Plus every time I need to reinstall it I'd have to pay the monthly fee (or just get the yearly). With as often as Apple updates and as often as something on MFP doesn't work after an update, things aren't boding well.

I'm looking into Atkins app, which works - but you can't set your macros, and no status update. Two things I'll miss.

Anyway, wanted to say bye before just leaving. Haven't made a final decision but my foot is definitely out the door. Atkins app offers carb counting at least (lots if trackers focus on calories too much for me) but I'll definitely miss this community. :/

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Weird. I updated and am having no issues.

Could you, perhaps, use the atkins app for food (though it has a limited database) and use us for community?
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options

Could you, perhaps, use the atkins app for food (though it has a limited database) and use us for community?

But did you uninstall and reinstall it? That's the issue, not just the Apple update. I'm warning ppl about that.

And maybe, I do like your idea. Until UA decides the community is a premium feature too. :/ I'm so soured on them right now!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

But did you uninstall and reinstall it? That's the issue, not just the Apple update. I'm warning ppl about that.

And maybe, I do like your idea. Until UA decides the community is a premium feature too. :/ I'm so soured on them right now!

Ah, no. I didn't. I need more tea!
    I hope you stay!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Yes please stay! This community is awesome :heart:
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I owe a lot to MFP, learned portion control and calorie count over the years. Although, I no longer log, I would hate to see that go away except for those that can afford to pay $10/month? I am not willing to pay $120 a year for that and there are many alternatives to these discussion boards on the internet.

Not being familiar with I-phone, can you just do a factory reboot? I have an old Android phone that still works with MFP.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even know if I lost all my data. But, I can understand how frustrating it would be.

Still, I stay for this group. I long ago stopped logging or using any other features. Other low carb groups are fine, but this one is practically my home.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started logging with the stupid easy keto app, but I still log on here for this group. I am new to keto, so this group is fabulous...tracking however with MFP was not fab to me for keto.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    yeeeeah. If MFP does it to me, I'll be really mad. But I have a Spark People account I could go log on. But I didn't stay here for the logging. It will be very irritating to rebuild my frequent foods somewhere else, but I'm here for the group, so I'll stay until they put community under a pay-wall. Then we can just defect elsewhere.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Reddit keto, perhaps?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I track my keto on an old fashioned spreadsheet lol thinking of adding my salts there too to keep track of that too.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Reddit keto, perhaps?

Yeah, but what about the non-keto peeps though. I don't belong there anymore either, unfortunately. Is there a LCHF reddit? I know there is a general low-carb one but the last time I looked it wasn't active.

We have an external site to port the LP over to. So it's searchable for non-members. Dragonwolf made the barebones. It just takes work and time to port it all over, and me learning how to use the thing. I'm pretty computer savvy, but I tried to learn C++ once...yeeeeah, that didn't happen. Too much dumz in this here head. So I'm trying to figure that out and focus on getting that done given this new possible hiccup.
  • baconslave
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Reddit does have a LCHF one. No need for mass evacuations though or panics. Lets just wait this out and see what develops.

@JessicaLCHF- so you log in and it gives you a screen about having to pay for Premium to access your data? Is that right?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - I think she just said it is basically like her account was wiped. All the historical data is gone, unless she wants to pay premium to ask for it back.
  • sihung7
    sihung7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can't you get all your data from the website?
    I use a mixture of the website and the app for logging depending what is easier for me at the time. But unless you delete your account you should be able to get your old data from the website.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    sihung7 wrote: »
    I use a mixture of the website and the app for logging depending what is easier for me at the time. But unless you delete your account you should be able to get your old data from the website.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's your log in (username and password) that would have to be wiped to lose all your info? I don't see uninstall/reinstall would make you lose what you have.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Yeah, this! I use two computers and two mobile devices to access mfp. I can see the same data across all, it's stored centrally on their servers, not on your device. Though I get what you're saying about your frequent foods, that does vary by device, but I just go and copy from another day.

P.S. Don't leave us!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I looked in the help section on this and there was a post with someone with the same issue, there wasn't a resolution posted but the mfp person said to contact them via email for assistance with it. might be worth emailing mfp to see if there is something they can do to fix it, might be a glitch.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I know the IPhones can be a bit twitchy, I log on using the computer not my IPhone, try logging in on your computer.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options

I was just thinking the same thing. It's your log in (username and password) that would have to be wiped to lose all your info? I don't see uninstall/reinstall would make you lose what you have.

It does tho. On my phone. I can still see it on a computer I mean it is still THERE. It's just I can't get it on my phone unless I export it all back into my phone which NOW you need premium to do. It is ridiculous.

As far as only ten bucks a month, that's overpriced. I'd pay maybe two. We don't even have cable tv cause it's too expensive. I don't think I get ten dollars a month benefit out of MFP.

What I might do is stay for the community/sharing of information and log elsewhere - prolly the Atkins app - where my details won't get wiped every time I have to reinstall MFP.

Anyway. I just wanted to warn other users to be careful not to just delete and reinstall the app if it gets glitchy. Either live with it, and never change phones, or pay the price if you want your old data back.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited September 2016
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Reddit does have a LCHF one. No need for mass evacuations though or panics. Lets just wait this out and see what develops.

@JessicaLCHF- so you log in and it gives you a screen about having to pay for Premium to access your data? Is that right?

No, I log in fine. Just all my old meals are gone. All my calorie counts are 0 for everything before last night's dinner when I reinstalled it. And my weight progress is gone. I have nothing in my weight loss graph. When I try to "see" old progress charts or old food entries it says "Do you want to export your old data? Upgrade to premium to get old data exported", something along those lines.

I mean, I could start from scratch and start logging again just fine. My macros are still set properly. It's just that I can't see OLD data. It's irritating. AND there are twice as many ads and pop ups as the one I had before. I think it's a new version that's been released where the app has a few changes. Like no old data and more ads.