Lab results

Options
Doctor never called, but they are posted on line. I'm 38 and never had any done before so nothing to compare to.

Cholesterol 0-200 mg/dL 206
TRIGLYCERIDES 0-150 mg/dL 166
HDL >40 mg/dL 30
LDL 0-100 mg/dL 143
TC-HDLC RATIO 0.0-4.4 mg/dL 7

CREATININE, RANDOM URINE 78
MICROALBUMIN, RANDOM 0.0-29.0 mg/L 9.4
MICROALB/CRE RATIO RANDOM <30.0 mg/g 12.0

GLUCOSE 70-100 mg/dL 143
Reference range applicable to fasting specimens only
*******Based on recommendations from the ADA and AACE, the
fasting glucose reference range has been changed to 70-100
mg/dL. This change is effective May 17, 2010***********

Blood Urea Nitrogen 5-25 mg/dL 12
creatinine 0.7-1.5 mg/dL 0.9
BUN/CREATININE RATIO 6.0-20.0 13.3
GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE >60 > 60
If patient is African-American, multiply result by 1.21
Chronic Kidney Disease: < 60 ml/min/1.73 square meters
Kidney Failure: < 15 ml/min/1.73 square meters

Sodium 133-145 mEq/L 141
Potassium 3.5-5.5 mEq/L 4.6
Chloride 96-108 mEq/L 100
CARBON DIOXIDE 21.0-32.0 mEq/L 22.5
CALCIUM 8.5-10.5 mg/dL 9.7
TOTAL PROTEIN 6.0-8.3 gm/dL 7.0
Albumin 3.2-5.6 gm/dL 4.3
GLOBULIN 1.9-4.4 gm/dL 2.7
ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO 1.1-2.3 1.6
Bilirubin, total 0.0-1.2 mg/dL 0.4
AST (SGOT) 10-42 U/L 23
ALT( SGPT) 10-60 U/L 28
Alk Phos 42-121 U/L 71

Component Standard Range Your Value
White Blood Cell Count 4.8-10.8 x10-3 8.2
RBC 3.8-4.8 x10-6 4.7
Hemoglobin 11.5-16.0 g/dl 15.0
Hematocrit 35-47 % 44.1
MCV 79-98 fl 93.8
MCH 27-32 pg 31.9
MCHC 32-37 g/dl 34.0
RDW 11-15 % 13.7
Platelet Count 130-400 x10-3 212
MPV 7-11 fl 12.8
NEUTROPHILS 41-85 % 68.0
LYMPHOCYTES 15-48 % 22.3
MONO % 0-12 % 6.6
EOSINOPHILS 0-5 % 2.5
BASO % 0-2 % 0.6

GLUCOSE, FINGERSTICK 65 - 120 mg/dl 155

Component Standard Range Your Value
HbA1C 4.0-6.0 % 5.5
HbA1C VALUES MAY NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT MEAN BLOOD GLUCOSE
IN PATIENTS WITH HEMOGLOBIN VARIANTS SUCH AS HbF, HbS.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Was this a fasting glucose level, or no?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    A couple things stand out here.

First, the HbA1C makes no sense at 5.5 as that would be considered normal, although just barely as 5.6-6.4 is pre-diabetic. However your blood glucose near the top is 143 and 155 at the bottom. Both of those are very high if those are fasting numbers. Those would be what you would expect either from a diabetic or at the peak for a non-diabetic after a carb heavy meal.

The other issues are for your cholesterol. There has been a lot of new research around these numbers. Basically, your HDL is lower than you want (should be above 40). Your LDL is higher than you want (below 130 for most, below 100 if diabetic), but most concerning is your triglycerides being above 150. Of all the numbers, triglycerides are the ones showing the most correlation to CVD (Coronary Vascular Desease - i.e. heart attacks, clogged arteries).

Within the LDL, there are actually two types of LDL. One is benign. The other is very bad. Studies indicate the higher your HDL, the lower the bad LDL and higher the benign LDL in terms of percentage of overall. Studies also indicate the higher your HDL, the lower your triglycerides.

Triglycerides are elevated by high carbohydrate intake. HDL is elevated by high fat intake with some indication that unsaturated fat MAY raise it more than saturated, although that seems to be debatable.

I have seen some of your other posts, so I know you are fairly new to this new WOE. Given you do not have a baseline to which you can compare these numbers, there is no way to know if these are improved from what they were before. The only way you can make sure you are on the right path is to have these done again in the future.

I would not be surprised if your doctor wants to repeat these in about 3 months. As I mentioned to you in another response, I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist next before beginning any treatment. S/he would likely want to re-run these tests as well. What I did initially after being diagnosed with T2D, was spaced my first Endo appointment to the 3 month mark to in order to be able to see benefits of my changed diet. It ended up being closer to 4 months, which was OK. My numbers did show significant improvement in by the time I saw her.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Basically, your HDL is lower than you want (should be above 40).

There are gender differences in HDL recommendations - men above 40; women above 50.

• Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    All tests were done fasting. 4 months keto, scared to think what they could have been before.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The differences between the drawn glucose level and the fingerstick is not really unusual. There will almost always be a difference in these if drawn concurrently. Yep, our bodies are that weird AND a glucometer is not the end all be all in glucose testing. Fingersticks are a reference and not considered gospel in the clinical setting. Of the two readings, I'd be more inclined to trust the venous draw. If the blood was drawn arterial too, there'd be another discrepancy. So I wouldn't worry over the differences, but would like very much to know if you were completely fasting for the draws - as mentioned those are kinda high for a non diabetic if fasting and that doesn't correlate with the A1C.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    Was arterial draw. Fasting from 9pm to 11am when blood was drawn.

I wasn't expecting anything good. That's for sure. Before keto I was a mess. Only ate junk and lots of it. Starred may 12th at 362# am 290 today.

The dr ordered me a blood sugar kit and it reads in the 90s. While the one I purchased reads 20 above. So not exact. Lol

He did say he does those tests every 3 months so I guess we'll see.

Thanks for input. I see him Thursday.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    With your trigs high like that, I would request a FULL thyroid panel. Being undiagnosed/untreated hypothyroid (or anything thyroid condition) is actually a huge cause of oddly high trigs (in addition to the other things mentioned above). Also, with your active weight loss, your LDL, total cholesterol, and trigs will be artificially elevated due burning fat stores, which typically releases stored hormones and such creating a temporary increase in cholesterol into the body... Your numbers will improve as you continue on low carb - AND as your weight stabilizes (long way off for me!)...

TSH is what docs like, but it's really pointless. It's more about the pituitary than thyroid. But anything over a 1.5 uIU/mL would tell me you have something thyroid going on, for your age (very similar to mine, and that number is per my endocrinologist).

I would ask for T4: total and free; T3: total, free, and REVERSE; and the antibodies tests (anti-TPO and anti-TgAp which is short for thyroglobin - dont' know how they get one from the other).

Other supporting tests would be good too, particularly B12 (especially if you are on Metformin) and D3 (affects EVERYTHING)... http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/

But yeah, I know what you mean when you get scary numbers, and you're already doing and feeling better!!! Scares you about how bad it was when you were in denial (it did me, too). Best of luck, and keep on. I bet in 3 months, you are going to knock your doctor's socks off!!!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

There are gender differences in HDL recommendations - men above 40; women above 50.

I was not aware of that difference. Probably since I'm not a woman as you may be able to tell from my pic. ;)

However, that makes this number even more concerning being only 30.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

I was not aware of that difference. Probably since I'm not a woman as you may be able to tell from my pic. ;)

However, that makes this number even more concerning being only 30.

You're right it is more concerning that's why I wanted to let her know about the difference.

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Doctor never called, but they are posted on line.

Your fasting glucose is elevated according to two different tests, your HDL is in the tank, triglycerides and LDL are a bit high, and your doctor hasn't followed up? If I returned numbers like that, my PCP would have his nurse call me the same day, wanting to schedule a glucose tolerance test ASAP, and telling me he'd sent a statin prescription to my pharmacy of record!
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    He was suppose to call me the same day. I'm not sure what happened or if he's even seen the results. The lab posted them. I already had a follow-up scheduled when I left that day.
    Glucose tolerance test is crazy right? More sugar than I eat ever?
    Statins scare me too.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congrats on your weight loss! I wish you all the best in getting your numbers under control, I would imagine you've probably come a long way already considering how well you're doing with your weight loss. I'm a T2 diabetic and it's definitely scary seeing numbers like that, but this woe can make it very manageable. Good luck to you.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm very much a data person so thanks for sharing your numbers. I want to get labwork done too ASAP because it's been about a year since I've been eating keto/low carb meals and I need to see where I'm at.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    He was talking about Lisinopril for kidney protection before the lab results. This shows my kidneys are good? It's all Greek to me. haha
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    He was talking about Lisinopril for kidney protection before the lab results. This shows my kidneys are good? It's all Greek to me. haha

Did you start the Lisinopril and was your BP @ your normal? It's just a curiosity question.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So the glucose was after taking in sugar for their tolerance test? I'm not surprised it was high then.
    I'm also not surprised your A1c is below the diagnosis range. First, because I think the diagnosis range is too lenient and second because you probably have lots of times of low blood sugar from hyperinsulinemia that balances out the averages between highs and lows. That was my sisters experience. She was diagnosed as hypoglycemic and I kept trying to explain that didn't mean she never had high blood sugar but her doctor never tested that and he clearly didn't understand insulin resistance. That's how she progressed very quickly to T2D.
    What are your blood sugars like on a daily basis eating keto? Do you check them?

I also wouldn't worry about the LDL and concentrate on getting the HDL up.
    Trigs can be high when you're losing weight. Right? That's the way I understand that. I've always heard not to worry about them during the weight loss process.

What kinds of fats are you including in your diet? Any veggie or seed oils?
    Are you following keto well or having episodes of falling off the wagon?
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would write down all your questions before you go back to see your doctor. Make the list here and there will be some good comments popping up to help you talk with him, as in more targeted questions that will give answers you can understand. Sometimes doctors withhold certain info, simply because we don't ask the right questions or project to them that we can understand the answers.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    I did not take a glucose test.
    I did not start any meds. BP has always been normal.
    I average under 20 total carbs a day (mostly lc veggies) had one 45 total carb day in 90 days.

The meter I bought seems to run high compared to my moms and the new one the dr ordered for me. The new meter says 90's ( was told to test fasting and before dinner.) One time I was curious so I checked and the new meter said 96 and the old meter said 128. The old meter was running me 110-140's. That is fasting, 1 hr, 2 hr. I have tested different drinks (Diet Coke every 15 mins for 3 hrs to see if spike) Seems to me its staying pretty level-ish. Never gotten a low reading.

I use butter, coconut oil and olive oil regularly.
    How do you raise HDL?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, eating fatty fish, coconut oil and exercise should all help raise your HDL numbers.