TMI: Excessive Gas

Options
anbrdr
anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
OK, so I'm a year out, and have had this problem for the last month or 2. I am building up excessive and somewhat painful lower gas like every day. Sounds like I'm tearing a hole through reality. It's thankfully not odorous, but it's extremely powerful, loud, and takes a while to feel, um, decompressed. Luckily it's controllable, and is difficult to release while standing/running.

No changes in my diet, really. Still eating low carb and keeping an eye on the macros.

Am I alone on this one?

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have no wisdom to share, but I wanted you to know that you're not alone.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    I thought it might be running related, but didn't find anything in the searches.
    Looked around the net for info, but I doubt it is a twisted/obstructed bowel.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    To be honest, it is likely just another development in your body; your gut bacteria reestablishing and such. Purely anecdotal, but I feel like when I'm consistent with my probiotic supplements that I have less gas.

At almost a year out I developed dumping like symptoms for about a week...only it couldn't be dumping because it was happening whether I had eaten or not. My surgeon was about to order an EGD when my symptoms resolved as quickly as they started.

Trust me, there are much worse things that can happen when you become a runner. There are things that can happen that no one ever tells you about! Things that you would never even think about happening! The horror!
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Oh, *kitten*, what am I in for? I know people can end up leaking from every hole, which sounds horrid, but not the worst thing in the world.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @anbrdr have you thought about trying a probiotic?
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Oh, *kitten*, what am I in for? I know people can end up leaking from every hole, which sounds horrid, but not the worst thing in the world.

"Leaking" is one way to put it!
  • anbrdr
    Options
    I have not looked in to probiotics yet.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @anbrdr I would definitely check out probiotics. They can help readjust your gut :) Maybe even look into trying kefir which has a lot of probiotics, just watch the sugar content. The one my daughter likes has 26g of sugar!
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Wow, that's my daily allotment! eek. I know I can get them in pill form. thanks for the suggestion, I'll order some tonight
  • Angelaabickford
    Options
    I'm five days VSG post op. Obviously I'm in a different place than you and my body is still adjusting, but my gas has been bad. My stomach is constant rumbling and then it makes it's way through my system. I tried the gas-x strips and it made the gas stop instantly! Might help you too!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @anbrdr - how have you been feeling?
  • anbrdr
    Options
    About the same. Constantly feeling like I need to "expel". And when I do, it's mighty forceful.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is your new superpower.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Ha ha - new superpower -
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @anbrdr seriously though I would say to reach out to your doctor or maybe an allergist? Wondering if you have developed a food allergy or intolerance which is causing this?
  • anbrdr
    Options
    will do. Nutritionist appt tomorrow, so I'll be there anyways.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Good luck!