Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread up.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Are the portions satisfying? I remember eating Lean Cuisines that seemed more like appetizers than full meals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Skip the Atkins Chili Con Carne. I never would have even bought it but sent hubby to store to buy four frozen things to try. I also really dislike all the Atkins pizzas. There's an off-putting taste to the crust. I'd rather not eat foods than eat poor substitutes of foods. The chili tasted fine but it's so easy to make your own crock pot of meaty low carb chili!

Speaking of which. With the fall weather here in Vermont, I'm thinking a pot of chili is a terrific project for today!
    I didn't mind the pizzas... they have a decent texture. I added pesto. :smile:
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Are the portions satisfying? I remember eating Lean Cuisines that seemed more like appetizers than full meals.

They are to me. I even usually leave a little cause I'm satisfied (I often log 7/8 of it). But I've noticed my portions are smaller on LCHF.

Went to a buffet yesterday and ate one plate of food - not even all that. Not normal for me. I think my tummy has shrunk in more ways than one.

I eat around 1400 cals a day. Some days it's a struggle to hit 1000 tho. I had one day I was almost at 2000 and then I noticed a MFP logging error (said I drank over 500 calories of black coffee).

So. Yes, for me. Totally satisfied. Hubby too (and he's no slouch).

Lean Cuisune. Eh. Prolly all carbs and sugar with no satiating fat. ;)
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lunch today is Atkins Orange Chicken.

Photo on box. v4z8jkmdcxao.jpg

Actual photo I just took after the 5 minutes, 30 sec. microwave heating time.
    lsei241qcbud.jpg

The taste is actually pretty good. Asian. There's a slight off-taste/chemical taste to the orange sauce. But overall it's pretty good. I'd give it an 9/10, especially as it's a flavor I've been missing (orange). I'd definitely buy this again. It's got just a touch of heat. Really enjoyed the sauce, and these specific veggies are ones I don't normally have so it's nice for variety (bok choy, edamame, carrots and water chestnuts).

7 net carbs.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lean cusines never filled me up, but these do for the most part. My solution from my old LC days was to keep bird's eye steamfresh bags of broccoli, or the broccoli/cauliflower mix in the freezer. Mix 1/2 a bag with your saucy frozen meals. There is usually enough sauce to cover the veggies, and bulks up the meals.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Good tip. I might do that for hubby. He has a bigger appetite than me. But weighs less and loses faster. So unfair.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    All of these look very yummy, esp the Teriyaki stir fry. And I love the idea of adding more veggies to sop up the extra juice.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Ugh. Horrid. Skip the Roasted Turkey with Garlic Cauliflower "Mash". I'm already not a fan of mashed fake taters using cauliflower cause it always seems to me like prechewed cauliflower soup. This is no exception. So, I guess that's a positive. If a good company can't make a good facsimile, I shouldn't feel bad if I can't.

The "Mash" is nothing more than watery cauliflower soup. It tastes like (wait for it)... cauliflower. Only you have to eat it with a spoon, and it seems as if the boiling water wasn't drained properly.

The turkey tastes fine, but the gravy has a processed flavor I don't like at all. I give it a 0/10. Almost inedible, IMO.

ahdc9img8gn5.jpg
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the Beef Merlot product on the Atkins website. It has a link to the ingredients list. I see a lot of undesirable ingredients: wheat, modified food starch, caramel color, canola oil, corn oil plus things I'd have difficulty typing. (I can't copy / paste.) So this is why I never buy them. I'd love it if there were a low-carb Paleo version.

https://www.atkins.com/products/frozen-meals/lunch-dinner/beef-merlot
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for trying these. I have been holding off supplementing my cooking with Atkins frozen meals because most frozen meals are so bland and boring. Glad you are reviewing these as you eat them. I am following the new Atkins diet and they are always emailing me about the products.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Best so far: Beef Merlot, Beef Teriyaki, Orange Chicken, Chicken Margherita, and the breakfast bowls. I also liked the chili but didn't think it was worth the cost. The others I think are all worth the cost and I'll be buying them.

Worse: Pizza, Turkey with Mash, Lasagna, and Chicken Parmesan with Pasta.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the thanks for the reviews. I have purchased one of your "likes" to give it a try. I do notice that I have to keep an eye on the calorie content as well.
  • rotay60
    rotay60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My fav is crustless chicken pot pie
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I will get some of these just to have as "emergency food" if we have an extra busy week and don't have stuff prepared for meals or something.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bumping up so others will see this.

I have bought a couple of the recommended ones as emergency food. Have not tried them. If you are gluten free they probably won't work for you.
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reviews. I think I'm definitely going to try the Beef Merlot. Since I cook just for myself, I haven't made pot roast in a while because of the volume of leftovers.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Ugh. Horrid. Skip the Roasted Turkey with Garlic Cauliflower "Mash". I'm already not a fan of mashed fake taters using cauliflower cause it always seems to me like prechewed cauliflower soup. This is no exception. So, I guess that's a positive. If a good company can't make a good facsimile, I shouldn't feel bad if I can't.

The "Mash" is nothing more than watery cauliflower soup. It tastes like (wait for it)... cauliflower. Only you have to eat it with a spoon, and it seems as if the boiling water wasn't drained properly.

The turkey tastes fine, but the gravy has a processed flavor I don't like at all. I give it a 0/10. Almost inedible, IMO.

ahdc9img8gn5.jpg

Yuck. The photo of the cauliflower looks unappetizing. They didn't need to leave all that liquid!
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

I found them to be more filling than the Lean Cuisine and WW. They are a little higher in calories than the others.