How long have you maintained your weight on LCD?

Options
huango
huango Posts: 1,007 Member
edited September 2016 in Social Groups
Hola,
How long have you maintained your weight on LCD?
In this time, how many ?slip-ups? have you had?
How many times did you have to lose the weight again?

I've only been on LCD for 20 days, and I'm loving my lack of carbage cravings.

But I was reading the thread: "For those who gained it back," and it made me think about my ability to do this long-term.

@Koldnomore posted:
"Do yourself a favor and don't actually do anything you won't be able to keep up for the rest of your life"

Can I go without:
- giving into carbage?
- eating handmade gnocchi?
- enjoying a refreshing glass of margarita?

I think because it's only Day 20 of my diet, and
I had yummy tasting alternate options (roasted chicken and saute shishito peppers),
that I was able to eat a controlled "cheat" treat of 0.5cup of roasted tri-color organic potato.

How do I control my carbs addiction once I reach my goal weight and start adding SOME carbs back into my diet?
Or do I really go through life not eating 80% of the food out there?

Our family is going to Asia for 3.5weeks vacation next year.
I do NOT want to stay low-carb while on this trip, because I want to eat and try many things:
- noodles
- rice
- tropical fruit
- treats, etc.

How do I NOT gain back all my weight?

Appreciate you sharing your experience.

Thank you,
Amanda

Tonight's diner:
14432979_10210926113254755_1344312774417855789_n.jpg?oh=db651b9ebef36c879417c152e8386e0c&oe=5878A59F

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

It's the want for doing things you're not doing that can create the failure...
    Can you go off the rails for vacation and come back home and get back on plan? Then do it. If not, then don't.
    I've maintained the same weight for a year now, however, I've not yet achieved all the fat loss I actually desire. But I am only a 23 BMI, so I figure, I could totally stop here if I wanted to.
    I've never gone off plan on purpose (had done hidden sugar in sauce once that made me feel unwell) and I love the food I eat so I don't have any plans to.
    Other than fluctuating between a 5 pound weight variance, I've not had any regains.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've done keto, and I'm finding it very easy to stick with. I really don't have cravings for food I should not eat, and I love the food I can eat. I still have 30+ lbs to lose, and I can't imagine going back to heavy carb consumption after feeling so good with this woe.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    2 years and 4 month @ maintenance.
    5.5 of those months are via lc/hf.
    I've maintained regardless of what I ate.
    Knowing what caused me to gain, gives me the answer to how to maintain.
    I ate too much.
    I stopped eating too much.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am with @Koldnomore. I was 63 when I cut out sugar and all grains for pain management that by default put me in a Keto WOE. I have maintained for 18 months now. The cravings left starting after two weeks and have not returned so so far not overeating or overweight issues. I ate somewhat over 50 grams of carbs daily most of this past June and it was a very bad experience that I never plan to repeat.

Have a great trip.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Maintained since Feb 2013 with a bit of an upswing (10 lbs) over the past several months (emotional eating due to parental health issues - dementia). Still fit my clothes though, so I count it as maintenance, getting serious again about getting under 80 carbs net per day (I maintain easily at 100g) to get back to my happiest weight. In maintenance I normally do 1 higher carb meal 1x a week - planned in advance - usually for a special occasion out. I tend to eat low carb even when vacationing because that's what tastes good to me.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <shrink>
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I generally vacation from food tracking and exercise when I vacation...which means I took basically the whole month of July off this year...gained 6 lbs...now I'm back to tracking, exercising, and losing.

Maintenance for me is not keeping the same weight every day, but keeping within a 5 lb range (usually)...so if I'm ok on the weight, then I don't stress about tracking every bite, or having a bowl of pasta or rice or ice cream or whatever. But, when the day comes that I'm not within that 5 lb range, then it's time to get serious and start tracking accurately and saying 'no' to the things that I know are going to put fat on me. For me, it's easy to switch between maintenance and losing as needed - that's not the case for everyone. You are the only one who can figure out if that's the case for you.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I have never 'maintained' my weight. I've just always cut carbs to the bare minimum and done a few fast days and lost weight.
    I have occasionally plateau-ed, but that's just a blimp on the progress. If I want to keep weighing what I weigh, I up the fat intake slightly. If I want to go down a bit, I eliminate fat to just cooking and natural food content, and don't add any extra.
    I simply don't eat (simple) carbs at - all.

Down from a UK size 12 - 14 to a UK size 6 - 8. lost around 32lbs since late March.

Husband is down nearly 60lbs since late March, and going strong, no longer diabetic and from a size 38" - 40" waist to a 32".
    To be honest, he's had more 'deliberate' carbs than I have, but we're different people, with different systems and different likes/dislikes.

As far as we're concerned, this is it, for life. And we love it.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight in late April, I had added some Intermittent Fasting and Extended Fasting to my LCHF WOE. I am staying between 3-5 lbs. below my goal. I love the foods I eat, so I just say no to the things I can't have and stay successful. So I am concentrated on the good stuff not the negative.

I had been eating the Zone 40c/30p/30f for a long time, gaining and losing over the years. This time I started with Keto, 20 net grams per day. Now I am more like 50 grams per day, some days slightly over, others I might even be under the 20, just depends on what I feel like eating.

I am a former artisanal bread baker, if I can give up bread anyone can. It was a passion of mine. Now I am learning to bake with nut flours and stevia, etc. It is fun and I can easily duplicate any goodies I want to eat. I do not have a sugar tooth, I am a salty gal. So desserts were never the issue for me. But chips and pasta can do you in, I eat pork rinds as chips and my pasta is zoodles these days. I don't miss the old stuff at all.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I answered a few months ago when 1st posted but will update.
    5/2013: Begin weightloss
    5/2014: Hit goal weight
    Maintenance: 3 years and a few months.

The vast majority of the time I monitor calories (~1500/day) and monitor macros (HFLC). Sometimes I don't track. Sometimes I stray a little on my food choices (vacations). All of the time, I keep my immediate food environment (home) stocked properly for HFLC.

This goes through my head frequently:
    7lw41x1ikbsq.jpg

Amen, sistah. Words to live by, day in & day out.

I tend to hear the same old BS refrain, "you can't maintain on LC," but you're living proof to the contrary. Kudos.