Is there a "pre C25K" plan?

Options
ravenstar25
ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
I read the tips pinned to the top of the group and I've done them all. I'm under a doctor's care and on medication. my doctor wants me to lose weight. This summer is the second time I've tried to start c25K - the first time was in the winter.

Each time I've started it, within a week I've developed serious respiratory illness. The first time I thought it was bad luck or maybe a problem brought on by running in cold weather. The second time I became suspicious. I found out that extreme exercise can cause a drop in the immune system. C25K isn't meant to be extreme exercise but I am very heavy (~250 pounds, 5'5".) I didn't run fast - I can barely go above a slow jog at my fastest anyway.

I really want to do this but I can't go on making myself sick, I nearly put myself in the hospital with a fever over 103. I was trying to do the 20 minutes with 90 seconds walking in between 60 second jogs, repeated 8 times, with a warm up and cool down of just walking. Is that too long, maybe? Should I try doing this for 5 or 10 minutes? has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm so disappointed because I lost five pounds during the week and a half I was able to keep it up. I have a recumbent exercise bike but that doesn't seem to work off the pounds.

Replies

• MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, and I would advise you to do "one week" at a time, even if it takes a month for you to be comfortable doing it, until you are comfortable to move to the following week. I pushed myself to hard too and I am back on the wagon as of last week. Hang in there. You're looking for progress, not perfection! :)
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've not come across a pre C25K plan. The only suggestion I have is you start with fast walks and build up to a very, very slow jog once you feel you're able to. I read you burn just as many cals walking as you do jogging. Or, as the previous poster suggested, just stick with day 1, week 1 until you feel strong enough to move to day 2, week 1 and so on.

How ever you move, it's all beneficial.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Pre-C25K is walking. Can you walk for 30 minutes straight? If so, can you walk briskly for 30 minutes straight?

This is what I did, just walking. When I started I was over 280lbs. I did two sets of 15 minute walks per day, just trying to walk as briskly as I could. Add stairs to the routine.

I didn't start C25K until I had lost 50 lbs.

Considering how hot it is, there is nothing wrong with just getting your walking in.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in that your weight may not be the problem. I am 5'1" and started C25K at 235lbs and I didn't have any respiratory problems. I mean I struggled with my breathing because I was so out of shape but as soon as I stopped running I was able to get my breath back no problem. Are you certain that you don't have any underlying respiratory issues?

I agree that you should take it one day, one week at a time. Go as slow as you possibly can and repeat days/weeks as often as you need to. If you have to stop jogging before the time is up go ahead and stop and walk until you are able to jog again. This is not a race. Barring any medical reason you should be able to be successful at your own pace.

Keep in mind there is no shame in walking if that is what you have to do!!! Best of luck to you :)
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Considering how hot it is, there is nothing wrong with just getting your walking in.

Oh yeah the heat definately has an impact on breathing during exertion and boy has it been HOT!!!
  • whirlybirdknits
    whirlybirdknits Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can you walk for 3 miles at a reasonably fast pace? (I'm not talking speed walking here, more like under 20 min per mile.) I would work on that first if you can't. Time yourself and see where you are now. Get some music that's slightly faster than your current pace and play it as you walk. If you can't hold a walk for 3 miles, you're going to have a lot of trouble holding a run. Maybe take the first week or so of the C25K program and just do a faster walk for the "run" segments until you build up some walking speed and endurance.

http://walk.jog.fm/workout-songs has a search function based on pace. Find some songs you like that are a little challenging to keep up with (but won't kill you). I've had lots of success speeding up my walking using this site!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I used to do that and was diagnosed with reactive airways and exercised induced asthma. You might want to visit a pulmonologist.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started my pre C25K program that I came up with on my own. I am 5'6 started at 240 and am currently at 228. I am so out of shape that it hurts. I go to my local high school and run their track as it is softer easier on the body and level. My neighbourhood is very hilly causing me to have shin splints and pain.
    I can't run the actual c25k program. I can't even run a minute. So I downloaded an interval run app plugged in numbers I think I could handle and went from there. I have 30 min as my goal first 5 min are warm up walking, followed by 20 min of a 30 sec run/2 min walk pattern ending with 5 min cool down. I can barely handle this but I do what I can. I try pushing myself a bit harder by making the last run little bit longer. I will do this for 2 weeks of 3x per wek then increase run to 45 sec while decreasing walk to 1 min45 sec. See how that goes and keep increasing/decreasing until I am at the c25k start.

Maybe you cant do 30 sec, maybe 15 or 5. Don't worry about number just that you are trying and working at it.
    First get you lungs checked out.
    Try aqua running too maybe that might help
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest just start out walking, build up your walking, till your walking OVER 5K ( if you don't already do this ... :S)
    then add in the C25K program you won't do 5K at first so you will have already walked way further than your going to be running :D
    I'd also start upping the cardio before starting the C25K

And maybe try different C25K programs ... I tried the NHS one and soon ended up switching they arent all made up the same read the breakdowns and see what you think will work...

X
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of the C25K but I've been preparing to do it for a long time by doing a lot of walking. I would get an app like map my walk and just go out walking every day. You can then monitor your times and speeds. I've always walked a good bit despite being overweight but I went from about 3mph to over 3.5mph. I made sure I was taking in hilly routes as well. It got to the stage that I was doing over 100 miles per month and so I thought that was a good sign that I was ready to do a bit more.

I would say I got injured on my first attempt which I think is because I tried going too fast. I now take it much slower. I would suggest you speak to a doctor though before you do anything just to check you don't have something underlying. Perhaps they could do an exercise ECG just to ensure you don't have a condition that lies dormant until you raise your heart rate.
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bluefin software has an app called powerwalk that I would consider good training for the Ease into 5k app.

http://www.bluefinapps.com/#ourapps
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!

I do have asthma and use an inhaler for it. I make sure to use it before going out but maybe it's not enough? I walk on a pretty regular basis and wanted to do something more. Maybe I just have to build up more gradually to get my lungs used to it. I was having trouble gasping for air and getting the stitch in my side problem at about 10 minutes in. I like the brisk walking instead of jogging idea. I'm going to try that!
  • eaglesgirl
    eaglesgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I wrote this a while ago (2011). I'm still trying to get my husband to write it up as an app:

http://coacheaglesgirl.blogspot.com/2011/07/pre-c25k.html?m=1

I hope this helps.
  • ToFDancergirl
    ToFDancergirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a heart defect and needed open-heart surgery when I started Couch to 5K. There is a 1 mile running program that I needed to complete before the C25K. I don't remember the name of the app and no longer have the phone I used at the time, but there is one out there. I also started VERY SLOW. I think I was sometimes running only at 3.8 mph. I also only run on the treadmill indoors, which might help if your respiratory illnesses or asthma are triggered by cold (or hot) weather.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    there is this app that does everything from the first mile to marathon training. seems like something you might be able to grow with
    running trainer