Sleeping like a caveman...

Options
So since I hit ketosis I've been having nights were like clockwork 2 am hits and I wake up. Usually I can go back to sleep other nights I wake up and have to move. Bathroom, go get fresh air etc.

Anyone else experiencing this on Keto? I've been trying to find some info online but so far no actual science but I've come across a few articles stating its a preprogrammed human trait to wake up to make sure your camp isn't being stalked by tigers and such!

Curiosity kills the cat!....

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Lol! I haven't read that article but yes I also experience this. I make sure to not drink caffeine after 2pm. And also, take mag supplement just before bed. That seems to help a bit.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well.... we're there any tigers? :smile:

I've heard different things about it. Some people just find they need less sleep. Some people are waking up because of needing to go through the bathroom more often in the beginning. But mostly it seems like I hear there has been no change in sleep or that sleep is improved in some way. I had no effect that I could ever tell.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb, not necessarily keto and I was having this problem, but I started taking a topical magnesium right before bed and now I rarely wake up and can always go immediately back to sleep.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've named it the 2AM wake-up call. The call has been with me most of my adult life. I had a doctor once that told it was not normal and I needed sleeping pills, which were declined. Since then I read somewhere on the internet that it is normal for many people, that some people actually get out of bed to do things, and when they go back to bed it is called second sleep.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    I've named it the 2AM wake-up call. The call has been with me most of my adult life. I had a doctor once that told it was not normal and I needed sleeping pills, which were declined. Since then I read somewhere on the internet that it is normal for many people, that some people actually get out of bed to do things, and when they go back to bed it is called second sleep.

Oh yeah this happens to me too sometimes. I'd get up to go to the bathroom, and when I go to bed again, I can't fall asleep. Then I get up and go play video games for a few hours.

And then I get sleepy again (generally 2-3 hours before my alarm goes off) and go back to bed.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm actually sleeping better. I used to have insomnia either from stress or hormones and be up from 2 or 3 on. I am sleeping so solidly now and if I wake up I can go back to sleep.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm sleeping way better than I ever did now that I'm keto. I used to be up 2-3 nights a week watching late night tv because I couldn't sleep. Now I'm out way before midnight and eyes are closing before I ever hit the bed some nights.

It's crazy because I've fought with insomnia my entire life and can't even tell you the medications I've taken over the years for it. Had I known I just had to stop eating bread? Crimeny...
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Both me and my husband both wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break. Most likely it's because we are drinking a lot of fluids before bedtime, him with pop and me with tea. Between tea, coffee, and water I have to take quite a few breaks in the day.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This is me! Clockwork! 2am. I'm awake anywhere from 1/2 hour to the rest of the night. I take a magnesium supplement before bed, have tried sleepy time tea, alcohol, etc. The good thing is that I'm not really tired during the day like I'd expect to be. I've been getting up and doing stuff just cuz it seems like such a waste laying there in bed watching the clock tick by. I've come to the realization that maybe I don't need all that sleep afterall and at least I'm still resting.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    http://www.livescience.com/12891-natural-sleep.html

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

Waking up in the middle of the night was considered normal for our ancestors! I know if I get up for some reason and go back to bed I sleep much better on my 2nd sleep! :)
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    http://www.livescience.com/12891-natural-sleep.html

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

Waking up in the middle of the night was considered normal for our ancestors! I know if I get up for some reason and go back to bed I sleep much better on my 2nd sleep! :)

I sleep deeper on my 2nd sleep. But then I'm always sad when my alarm goes off and I need to get up. :neutral:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I get a 1am wake up call. But mine's menopause. :D
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I get a 1am wake up call. But mine's menopause. :D

Yup, those hot flashes wake me up in the wee hours of the morning every single day! I was hoping LCHF might help, but no luck so far.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me all the time too but I blame menopause, not keto. I'm hot, then I'm cold, then I'm hot, then I'm cold...blargh!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've been waking up at 2 a.m. since last March, when a six day hospital stay completely destroyed my old sleep patterns. For a while I was able to read a little then get my second sleep. Now we have two six month old kittens who regard 2 a.m. as prime time and are outraged if I wake up only to abandon them. The pitiful cries from the other side of the bedroom door are too heartbreaking to ignore. "Buuut we taut we wuz going ta plaaaaaaay."
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So since I hit ketosis I've been having nights were like clockwork 2 am hits and I wake up. Usually I can go back to sleep other nights I wake up and have to move. Bathroom, go get fresh air etc.

Anyone else experiencing this on Keto? I've been trying to find some info online but so far no actual science but I've come across a few articles stating its a preprogrammed human trait to wake up to make sure your camp isn't being stalked by tigers and such!

Curiosity kills the cat!....
    Just the opposite. I'd wake up when my meals consisted of a normal or higher amount of carbs. It was probably from blood sugar crashing. But on LCHF, my blood sugar is more stable, I sleep through the night, and I struggle to wake up. Good luck!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am constantly waking up between 2am-3am, never thought about it as a cave man thing, I thought it was just down to my sleeping issues. I am well known to be a terrible sleeper at the best of times at the moment. But yes, like clock work, I wake up pretty much every night.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly hormones, ladies -- which in my case means staggeringly low cortisol, high progesterone, staggeringly low estrogens, and a slightly off-kilter thyroid level. My sleep is often appallingly bad, so much so that I have to stop driving sometimes.

A lot of the time night-time awakenings are due to inappropriate cortisol levels. If your cortisol is high at 2 a.m., you'll wake up.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    I think it's mostly hormones, ladies -- which in my case means staggeringly low cortisol, high progesterone, staggeringly low estrogens, and a slightly off-kilter thyroid level. My sleep is often appallingly bad, so much so that I have to stop driving sometimes.

A lot of the time night-time awakenings are due to inappropriate cortisol levels. If your cortisol is high at 2 a.m., you'll wake up.
    For me it's staggeringly low PROGESTERONE. My ratios are absurd. Even with supplementation.