Just getting started...

Options
hollycreel
hollycreel Posts: 16 Member
I've been doing a lot of reading and research, and I am going to try this style of eating for 3 months to see how I do. I could really use some friends or advice on this. Any tips on which is better? Paleo or Keto? And what is the scoop on cheese, and yogurt? I have tons of questions and sometimes my reading leads me to conflicts... sage advise from others would be most welcome. Thanks and Peace! :)

Replies

• CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi, this forum has lots of info. I’ve done both Paleo (starting up again), and Keto years ago. Keto was more restrictive, sort-of Atkins-ish. I actually like Primal better and plan to adapt to that way of eating after completing the Whole30. On keto, I would obsessively check my ketones and it drove me nuts. On Paleo I’m able to eat 2 servings of fruit and still remain in ketosis, but I no longer check every day.
    My advice to you is do your research, weigh the pros and cons of each, however, either way of eating is an improvement compared to the standard american diet (SAD). Friends request sent.

Paleo - http://robbwolf.com/
    Primal – http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2Z9HFmIVC
    Keto - http://www.theketogenicdiet.org/
  • hollycreel
    hollycreel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I look forward to reading more, and I hope to find what works best... :)
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me! i'm doing a whole30 and then tentatively plan to transition to primal.
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've been on here for a while, but am in serious need of a re-boot! After my bridal shower this weekend things have just been going downhill. We can support each other. And I'm active in the forums in this group usually. I did keto/Atkins back in middle school with my mom, and I got down to an ideal weight. I was also swimming competitively everyday, so that helped! I'm really liking primal better, because it is easy to go keto without feeling deprived. Also, paleo/primal is much more about REAL whole food...back when I was doing Atkins I had a lot of artificial sweeteners and stuff like cool whip and all that. Gross. My food and eating philosophies have changed so much since then. So I love primal and paleo for that at least...I don't have many folks on my friends list talking about diet cokes and sugar-free processed foods. :) Do what is best for you though!! :) I'm sure you'll notice a change in how you're feeling even by the end of the first week! Remember not to get discouraged after you have a massive loss the first week or two, then it tapers off to just a pound or two a week. That doesn't happen to everyone, but it does to me, and it's definitely not as encouraging as the large amounts of weight lost the first couple weeks. You'll feel better though for sure!!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've been on here for a while, but am in serious need of a re-boot! After my bridal shower this weekend things have just been going downhill. We can support each other. And I'm active in the forums in this group usually. I did keto/Atkins back in middle school with my mom, and I got down to an ideal weight. I was also swimming competitively everyday, so that helped! I'm really liking primal better, because it is easy to go keto without feeling deprived. Also, paleo/primal is much more about REAL whole food...back when I was doing Atkins I had a lot of artificial sweeteners and stuff like cool whip and all that. Gross. My food and eating philosophies have changed so much since then. So I love primal and paleo for that at least...I don't have many folks on my friends list talking about diet cokes and sugar-free processed foods. :) Do what is best for you though!! :) I'm sure you'll notice a change in how you're feeling even by the end of the first week! Remember not to get discouraged after you have a massive loss the first week or two, then it tapers off to just a pound or two a week. That doesn't happen to everyone, but it does to me, and it's definitely not as encouraging as the large amounts of weight lost the first couple weeks. You'll feel better though for sure!!

This, plus I feel like primal is more sustainable for the rest of my life - I can still eat fruits, sweet potatoes, rice (ok, I eat closer to perfect health diet - rice is 'safe starch' that is still allowed) occasionally. You don't have to strictly follow one plan - adapt it to meet your body and goals. Make your own rules! :)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I eat mostly paleo with a little butter thrown in here and there. I'm on the autoimmune protocol, which further restricts things, but the health benefits and pain relief have been worth it.

I wish I'd known about this 20 years ago! (OTOH, I wasn't hurting 20 years ago, and I don't know if I would have been so motivated to stop eating things like fresh baked bread.)