Reading other people's diaries

Options
2»

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI: Your log-in streak still goes on, even if you don't submit/complete your diary.

So if MFP doesn't let you complete it because it's under calories, it's OK. It still counts.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    @jessicalchf lol who does that! MFP doesn't yell at my if I track 0 calories or some oddly low number such as 400 calories (perhaps I tracked just my breakfast but I still ate lunch and dinner but just didn't track those). If I'm not tracking, I still log in and check the forums and like @samanthaluangphixay mentioned, you still get your streak for logging in. Not sure why anyone would put fake food in.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had 1,400 calorie goal for awhile, but was always hungry - even when eating less than 20-30g of carbs. I struggled to get 100g of protein most days, but had lots of fat. I was still pretty hungry most days. So I abandoned that and figured I would try to stick with carb goals and ignore calorie goals. That lasted less than a week before I started gaining so fast. It might not have been fat, and a week isn't long enough to certify a gain, but the increase was averaging more than 1 lb. per day, so I couldn't let that continue.

I knew 1,400 was too low to be satisfied, but it is very difficult to lose and much more than that with my current activity level. I won't have time to increase my activity for a few weeks anyway, but I decided to raise my goal to about 1,600 for now.

I log everything (except I don't always log diet sodas - 0 calories, but had intended once to log it for sodium data), including supplements (because they have a few calories). My typical week-day looks like this:
    breakfast: Coffee w/ protein powder, MCT oil, margarine, HWC, fiber.
    lunch: varies - either a salad with some meat in it, or bun-less burgers or brats or hot dogs
    dinner: varies even more, but usually meat and/or veggies. This week, I'm going through a pack of pork steaks which will last most of the week. By de-thawing a package of 5 steaks, that works well for me. They get cooked on my counter-top (George Foreman) grill.
    supplements: I take tons of vitamins and supplements, so there are calories mostly in the fish oil.

Yesterday, I had my typical breakfast, 2 brats with mustard for lunch, naked pork steak for dinner, and supplements. I was a over on calories by a bit more than 100 (the pork steak was almost a lb. of meat) even after exercise, but that could have been avoided by eating 1 fewer brat for lunch or cutting the pork steak to a smaller piece (or exercising more), or skipping the MCT oil in coffee.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I still feel like I have to log because there are many "hidden" carbs that if I don't log, I know I will go way over. My diary would probably scare you in the other way though because being over 3000 is pretty normal. When using Fitbit before moving to MFP a couple months ago, I think I even broke 5000 a couple times. I am very active and need to average 3000+ to maintain weight which is why it takes a concerted effort to keep my carbs below 25. When I look at sausage that may have 2g carb per serving, but I am going to eat 4-6 servings at a meal, that adds up quickly.

Logging has definitely helped me identify which brands of certain foods are better than others in terms of these "hidden" carbs. It has also helped me get a better hold on just how many nuts I should eat in a day as those are foods that are very easy for me to overeat.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I still feel like I have to log because there are many "hidden" carbs that if I don't log, I know I will go way over. My diary would probably scare you in the other way though because being over 3000 is pretty normal. When using Fitbit before moving to MFP a couple months ago, I think I even broke 5000 a couple times. I am very active and need to average 3000+ to maintain weight which is why it takes a concerted effort to keep my carbs below 25. When I look at sausage that may have 2g carb per serving, but I am going to eat 4-6 servings at a meal, that adds up quickly.

Logging has definitely helped me identify which brands of certain foods are better than others in terms of these "hidden" carbs. It has also helped me get a better hold on just how many nuts I should eat in a day as those are foods that are very easy for me to overeat.

Yes, "hidden carbs" has started to become a challenge for me and I'm usually (except for that week) nowhere near your calorie level. It is especially easy with peanuts and peanut butter because it adds up sooo fast. Sat. morning, for example, I woke up with low BG, went crazy, and ate glucose tablets (which I needed), and then immediately went through a good portion of a jar of PB. Weighing before and after showed I had nearly 50g of carbs... all before even getting dressed for the day. :(
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Cause I WANT TO!!! Sob.

:p

I don't know. Cause it finishes the day? I like seeing each day what they think I'll weigh in five weeks and beating it? Who cares?

You can! (If like me you want to.) :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have days where I'm hungry and those days I eat a lot and others when I'm not very hungry at all so it would look like I barely ate. I just follow my hunger cues.

I'm sure my diary probably looks pretty low to some because I'm only 4'11 and don't need as many calories as others do. Also I have zero appetite most mornings so I just drink coffee with cream for breakfast on weekdays. I'm definitely someone who likes to eat more at night so I eat light during the day and have a big dinner.
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My meals Monday thru Friday are the exact same thing. I find it easier for my brain and my pocketbook. I know for a lot of people, that is not an option. You can feel free to peak at my diary... but it might put you to sleep! :) I stick around 1200-1300 cals a day and that seems to be working out pretty good for me ATM.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Some people have huge meals one day and fast until dinner the next day. It works out to be the same calories but they have them all in one big meal rather than spread out over the day. I'm sure it took time to work up to that but yeah I've seen that a few times. Personally I've gotten used to skipping breakfast (other than a coffee) and eating my food during lunch/supper and maybe a snack at bedtime.
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I log pretty faithfully Mon-Fri but once the weekend hits I may not even log at all. I do usually eat one larger meal a day though and a snack later on after that. Most days I don't eat anything until after 5:00 PM. I'm just not hungry in the morning at all and can definitely skip lunch no problem. With this WOE I'm just not hungry that much anymore.