Could it be...

that I am a fat burning machine? or is it too soon.

From 12/09/16 my Total carbs have averaged 15 - 20g a day. I had a blip on 19/9 and went up to about 100g so probably knocked myself out of Ketosis, but got right back on it the following day, and have continued to keep my carbs down.

Yesterday I was having a brilliant Keto happy day, until I was bought a muffin from Starbucks.

I wouldn't normally have thought twice about eating it, but it sat on the plate in front of me for about 20 minutes. I don't know if it was my umming and ahhing beforehand, but when I gave in and ate it, I didn't really enjoy it, so I followed it with a handful (or two) of my fave candy (peanut M&Ms) which had also lost their appeal. I went to bed early before I could eat any more crap that I was not even enjoying.

Woke up this morning craving bacon and eggs. No sweet cravings and no (as yet) adverse effect on the scales. I am down 6 oz from yesterday morning (I know I should not weigh daily).

Fasting today until about 1800hrs (21 hours) and am then having bacon and cheesy eggs with mushrooms, which I am really looking forward to. I am not hungry or craving anything at the moment.

Could it be that I am fat adapted or is this just a lucky fluke?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    It means you burned through those carbs and are fresh out and back to burning fat.
    You've no doubt fired up some fat burning mitochondria that previously sat collecting dust and have probably got them chugging along happily providing energy by now, but you still need a small amount of glucose everyday for the brain and even though it's not the ideal way to provide it, your body used those carbs right up without a hitch.
    You only very temporarily pauses ketone burning. A healthy system is metabolically flexible and will snap back and forth without any trouble.
    This really would only be a problem if it became a consistent thing or caused you to fall off the wagon or if you're IR or diabetic and threw blood sugar and insulin into a tailspin for a longer period of time.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    welsh_cake wrote: »
    (...)
    Fasting today until about 1800hrs (21 hours)
    (...)
    Could it be that I am fat adapted or is this just a lucky fluke?

If you're able to go 21 hours without feeling hungry, it's a good symptom of keto adaptation. It means you're running on fat as energy and enjoy elevated ketones as well.

Isn't it just wonderful that feeling of freedom? :)