October Goals Thread

Options
Let's get into those fun costumes for Halloween!

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1. Start running again for the fall runs and increase protein intake to balance it out.
    2. Weight training.
    3. Reduce caffeine intake.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Already?! Where does the time go? And yeah, I've skipped these for the last few months, but I've been doing some awesome, and some not awesome stuff.

I'm using this plan to learn how to run a half-marathon. The funny part is that I don't have a race to compete i; I'm just doing this to see if I can stick to something difficult and a often painful. I hope to continue the daily plan, and keep increasing my distances/speed. The end of October will put me at the halfway point, and have me being able to run for almost an hour. NEVER thought I'd call myself a runner.

I've decided that I want to start logging my food again, including the cheats. I'm committing to honesty and accuracy (when possible). having a food scale at home and work helps. Also, I think I want to go a month of not cheating on Keto. During Halloween, of all months.

I'll be closing on my house on Halloween. So this month will be a brokestatus budget. Avoiding so many good concerts, taking a break on the dating thing, and trying to eat as cheaply and easily as I can afford. Should be a great way to dial back on the alcohol, too.

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    • Continue to log everything - EVERYTHING. Sometimes I get a little sloppy and lazy.
    • Continue to stick with my surgeon's plan to increase strength training and HIIT training
    • Work on stopping my grazing - I have a habit of it in the evenings, I am making a conscious effort to end that.
    • Improve my water intake! I do all right but I can do better for sure.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    I'm using this plan to learn how to run a half-marathon. The funny part is that I don't have a race to compete i; I'm just doing this to see if I can stick to something difficult and a often painful. I hope to continue the daily plan, and keep increasing my distances/speed. The end of October will put me at the halfway point, and have me being able to run for almost an hour. NEVER thought I'd call myself a runner.

THANK YOU for this link. I have to say that I'm going back to running mostly because I'm restless without it but I never fell in love with it, so I'm not sure if it will stick. This may help. The challenge in it interests me more than the running, to be honest.

I've also slacked off on logging food since I hit goal. I'm trying to test how I gauge my own limits so I'm mostly just signing on at this point to check here and keep up my streak. Maybe I should add that to my goals as well.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Darebee has become my favorite site. I recommend it to everyone.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the link, I have a hard time with running because of my bad knees (years of too much excess weight). I do C25K sometimes because my knees can handle that, so I looked at the Darebee "From Walking to Running" program and I really like how it looks so I might try it as an alternative. Thanks for sharing!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I went back to the September goals thread to compare the start of the month with the end:
    1. Make sure to hit my protein goal daily--including weekends when I tend to slide
    2. Incorporate exercise on one weekend day each week
    3. Continue current weight/cardio routine
    4. Go to bed earlier
    5. Consistently plan, shop, and cook for meals

I think these goal hold up for October too as they're where I need the most work. @anbrdr I'm closing on my house soon, like within the next week or two. It's stressful!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1. Kettlebells or yoga at least 2 x week.
    2. Running 30 miles a week minimum. Try for another 70 mile week this month.
    3. Stop procrastinating work activities that I don't enjoy. It interferes with my overall mental health.

I'm running a 10k this month. I'll post pictures of my costume!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    • Continue to log everything - EVERYTHING. Sometimes I get a little sloppy and lazy.
    • Continue to stick with my surgeon's plan to increase strength training and HIIT training
    • Work on stopping my grazing - I have a habit of it in the evenings, I am making a conscious effort to end that.
    • Improve my water intake! I do all right but I can do better for sure.

I'm like a bottomless pit in the evening! Inevitably, I overdo it at least once a week and suffer the consequences. Not enough to make me barf but enough to make it really uncomfortable.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Like @amandacanales said

I'm like a bottomless pit in the evening! Inevitably, I overdo it at least once a week and suffer the consequences. Not enough to make me barf but enough to make it really uncomfortable.

I feel like this too - after work after an hour and a half commute home, I am like a bottomless pit - including days I work from home. I know this is head hunger and I need to stop it in its tracks. My goals:

Have options that won't kill my appetite for dinner when I get home, or keep a cooler in my car with high protein snacks

Get to the gym 4x/week or more (currently 3 plus walking my dogs 2x/day)

Get back to my kettle bell class (been out for 2 years due to a shoulder injury..hurt it a bit yesterday so this may not be achieved in October)

Reduce my carb intake

Experiment with even more Bariatric friendly recipes
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1. Try to get to the gym at least 3 days a week.

2. On days that I don't make it to the gym, take a walk around the neighborhood.

3. More water!

4. Prepare more meals at home/better meal planning.

5. More salads with protein.

6. Try a Zumba class?

7. Eat more healthier snacks/reduce carbs
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    1. Continue to track daily
    2. Get my 10K steps in plus a few more
    3. Stop evening snacking unless I plan those calories into my daily intake
    4. Participate in an organized group fitness activity
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    1. Continue to log my food & exercise
    2. Increase my walking. Definitely not getting enough right now!
    3. Increase my resistance & kettlebell exercises.
    4. Continue the "daily struggle" to get enough protein. Averaging 75-79 a day is hard since protein drinks are disgusting and protein bars aren't much better!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @StevenGarrigus if you are in the soft foods stage, maybe try mashed potatoes with cheese, soups made with protein powder, or eat the chicken/meat in a broth, try the Ricotta Bake from The World According to Eggface, Eggface also has a great slow cooker pot roast which is awesome, very mushy oatmeal or cream of wheat and mix some nut butter into it, scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with cheese, tuna or egg salad made in a blender, and there are protein soups that may work well, maybe even chili where the meat is ground very well.

A few good sites for recipes and/or products:

The World According to Eggface
    Bariatric Eating
    Bariatric Choice
    Bariatric Foodie

Hope this helps and good luck!

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    After maintaining my goal weight since May I feel like I'm not focusing enough on my protein and my energy level is down, so this month I am going to really work on that.

1. Log every meal and focus on Protein
    2. Stop grazing in between 9-noon
    3. Increase water (maybe with a little protein in it)
    4. Continue exercise daily and increase strength training this month

I know my energy level will improve if I stick to this.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    @StevenGarrigus if you are in the soft foods stage, maybe try mashed potatoes with cheese, soups made with protein powder, or eat the chicken/meat in a broth, try the Ricotta Bake from The World According to Eggface, Eggface also has a great slow cooker pot roast which is awesome, very mushy oatmeal or cream of wheat and mix some nut butter into it, scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with cheese, tuna or egg salad made in a blender, and there are protein soups that may work well, maybe even chili where the meat is ground very well.

I've started my "week 7" diet. With my particular surgeon, at week 6 I was able to add salad greens, soft beans, ground beef and ground turkey. I've done good with everything in my week 6 stage and eating that George's Chilli from Culver's was like heaven!

I'm definitely going to look into the Ricotta Bake and the slow cooker pot roast! I'm also going to look into the soups with protein powder. It would be fantastic to be able to add protein to things I am already eating for an extra boost. I would really like to get closer to 100 grams of protein daily within the next month or so, especially since when adding exercise your protein requirements go up.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!~

• anbrdr
    Options
    I think I was convinced to sign up for an 8K race next weekend. It'll be my first race, and a little more distance/time than I'm used to running. Kind of excited for it.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    1. Kettlebells or yoga at least 2 x week.
    2. Running 30 miles a week minimum. Try for another 70 mile week this month.
    3. Stop procrastinating work activities that I don't enjoy. It interferes with my overall mental health.

I'm running a 10k this month. I'll post pictures of my costume!

Week 1 (2-8 Oct) Check-In
    1. Check! 1 hours of kettlebells and 30 minutes of yoga. Looking good for this week too since I'll be on a business trip near one of my favorite yoga studios.

2. Check! 50 miles!

3. Fail...sort of. I tackled some, procrastinated some. I'm distracted by costume creation for my kids and home improvement projects.