replacement for heavy cream

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a low carb, but not so high calorie food to use instead of heavy cream? I made two AMAZING dishes yesterday, both required heavy cream. I made them, ate them then logged into MFP and the calorie count was so high.

First meal was a baked spaghetti squash, filled with heavy cream, garlic and cheese...OMG died and went to heaven!

Next meal, was a copycat chicken divan that I just ate for lunch and was amazing as well :)

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You can try half and half - but that will have more carbs (I think - I have never actually used it myself)

What about coconut cream/milk? The ones in the can that is used in Thai curries.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Second the above. Also I will add, keep in mind that while portions are smaller and more calorie-heavy on Low carb, they are also more filling.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Split the cream with water
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    If it's an indian recipe (like curry) you can use some heavy cream, then suppliment the rest with coconut milk and full fat plain yogurt, the lowest in carbs you can find. Heavy cream is just a thickener but yogurt will work great too, just keep an eye on the carbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    cashew milk - if you can find the plain unsweetened kind
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I use any liquid I want then thicken with Xanthium or Carb Quick if it needs thickening. I keep coconut milk/unsweet vanilla almond milk and stock on hand at all times for sauces.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Split the cream with water

This.