How do you handle Holidays while being Low-carb?

Options
huango
huango Posts: 1,007 Member
Question: How do you handle Holidays while being Low-carb?

Do you take a break for the Holiday meal, such as Thanksgiving dinner, skipping the stuffing and pumpkin pie, etc?
Or do you just take a break and get back on track the next day?

I'm barely 1 month into LCD so I haven't encounter a Holiday yet.
I'm okay with taking a break for the meal, but is it easy to get back on track?
What do you do with the leftovers?

We usually go to NYC for family and stay 2-4 days, so that could be 4 days of eating out and family bringing all sorts of goodies (such as empanadas (meat turnovers) and dessert.
I don't know how to deal with it, and am quite nervous.

I also don't know how well I'll deal w/ the Halloween candy being in the house, with my 2 kids and sweet-tooth husband. I know I can't make them donate ALL of the candy to the military.
Last year, we donated 2# when we had 10# PER CHILD!!

Appreciate your suggestions from your experiences,
Thank you,
Amanda

Replies

• ravensdiet15
    ravensdiet15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'll be eating carbs on Thanksgiving for 2 meals and then getting right back on track the next time I eat. I'm not sure how easy it will be getting back to low carb considering I have only been doing this WOE less than 2 weeks now. But I don't plan on falling off the wagon until T day and then again for about 4 meals around the Xmas holiday. I think knowing I could easily undo all my losses will help get me right back to it!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm skipping the halloween candy this year and doing no chocolate all October - this is a huge change for me since I eat chocolate every day and usually go quite crazy around Halloween.

I don't know about Thanksgiving this year, usually I just have the one meal where I don't fret the carbs, and I avoid them once they become leftovers.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit that come Thanksgiving day, I will definitely have a small helping of stuffing and mashed potatoes with gravy on my plate but it is a small amount, I think I can still stay around 50 carbs. My actual favorite of Thanksgiving is the crispy turkey skin so YUM. We usually get a Honey Backed Ham from honey backed ham company for Christmas and use the same side dishes. Thankfully, I am not a dessert person so that won't be a problem.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    The holiday I encountered when I first started was Christmas. I have a huge family so I had multiple dinners.

I ate turkey, salad, roast veggies, and brought my own dishes that others ate too. I drank very little booze at that time, maybe one vodka with club soda. I was about two months into my journey.

Don't ask about Easter lol.

You might be like me and more vigilant in the beginning, but even if you slip up, be disciplined enough to get back on the wagon the next day.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on eating off plan for thanksgiving since there are so many options for lc anyways I am making a lc pumpkin pie though. Halloween I will pass out cheese itz instead of candy so I won't have it in my house and between my hubby and boys they eat up the candy quickly so I hardly get any anyways lol Christmas is tough because of tamales (which are not l/c) but I found a lc version so I might make a dozen of those. I will allow myself a bowl of menudo (Mexican tripe soup with hominy) this season, it's my favorite :)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Last year I took a dish of something I knew I could eat, and stuck to low carb for the rest for Thanksgiving. Since wine gives me a bit of leeway to eat a slightly higher carb content meal without impacting my blood glucose, I'll probably take advantage of it to add a roll to my meal for the day. For Christmas, I made some low carb spritz cookies. They were ok, but had a weird cool sensation in my mouth because of the sweetener I used - and - the carb count was very close to the carb count of normal spritz cookies. I ended up finishing off the regular spritz cookies at the rate of 2/day (a quantity that fit in my calories and within the 20 grams of carb I could tolerate per meal).

The only thing I really feel deprived about is bread - and, a glass of wine will let me have a piece without harming my health.

I may go over on calories (I'm starting maintenance on Monday), but even that's not too likely since the only thing I can really increase is my consumption of fats - and I'm just not that fond of fats that are not connected to either bread or sugar.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This will be my 4th holiday season. 2013-losing, no problem. 2014 & 2015 maintaining, no problem. 2016 while the 4th, will be the 1st LC/HF. I all ready foresee the outcome. No problem.

I'll do the same thing I have done the last few years: Save most of my calories for the main meal so I can (and will) sample a little of everything. I know generally what foods will be there and it will be the same delicious holiday foods as previous years. Generally full of carbs.

I strive to keep my carbs <20 on an ongoing basis. I know that won't occur on Thanksgiving Day but it won't be extreme. I also know I won't overeat regarding calories. I don't think one day of small quantities of highly carby foods will significantly disrupt my life.

I've learned in the last 6 months of LCHF that occasional small bites of "carby stuff" here and there do not cause my Dystonia to erupt in uncontrollable involuntary spasms, make me feel ill and/or disrupt my digestive tract. Honestly, I think I'll be fine with a small sample of many high carb things.

In regards to my Dystonia AND weight loss/maintenance: I don't have food fear. I'll taste it all. I have control over HOW MUCH I eat of anything. HOW MUCH is the key for me. I have total control of that.

Thanksgiving Day is a day of food, family and football. Steelers play @ 8:30. :)
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Halloween isn't a huge thing here, we will have some sweets to hand out but I can resist them and hopefully we'll get rid of them all on the night.

We don't have thanksgiving although I have a friend studying here from America so I might try to find something for her. If so I'm happy with turkey and veggies.

Xmas is always the big issue for me and it's been a point where I've lost my way in the past. We have work meals and parties etc etc. Right now I think I'm going to try staying wheat free and largely sugar free for most of it - again I can have mainly meat and veg for the meals. I'll probably be totally off plan for 3-5 days or so over the Xmas season - and on one day I have work Xmas lunch followed by a memorial meal for a relative so goodness knows what I'll do!

Right now I'm focusing on staying totally on plan until mid-December. I guess then I'll look at how I'm doing and assess how strong I am.

In the past I've taken 14 days off plan and got back on the wagon without a hitch, and a couple of days which have knocked me off for months. If you can it's always better not to come off plan at all but for some of us, even knowing that the carbs aren't worth it doesn't mean we don't sometimes need to check!
  • Laurashar34
    Laurashar34 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I also don't think there's anything wrong with deciding to eat "non food" stuff if you are fully aware that you may feel like crud for a while, may gain some weight back and may have some blood sugar issues if that's a condition you're working on. If you can get right back on plan and not beat yourself up and not get mad at yourself or cry about any increase on the scale, then you're probably in an emotionally healthy place with food and it will be a temporary set back.
    Couldn't agree with this more. One of the things I love most about this WOE is it's completely changed my whole relationship with food and, unlike previous diets I've tried, this is more of a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix. I went on holiday two weeks ago and took a break from counting carbs. Although I put on 4lbs after the week, I knew this would happen and I got straight back on the plan the day I got back. Pleased to say I've dropped those extra pounds - and another one - in the past two weeks.
    I think it depends on how tough you'd personally find it to get back on track after a break.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    <snip> If you decide to allow off plan eating for the these special occasions, I highly recommend deciding what your definition of special occasion is because it can be very easy to bend an already flexible rule to start allowing extra non foods in.
    Does that include the very special, only baked once a year, award winning, other worldly cookies the old lady in the office brings in on some random day? Does it include an impromptu pot luck at your church? Does it include the very nice gift basket of muffins your neighbor gives you? You know what I mean.
    If you do decide to allow off plan eating, make sure that it's a conscious choice of when, how often and how much you are comfortable with because if you don't set your personal limits, you may find yourself re-introducing yourself here come January with a regretful tale

As someone who does eat off plan on occasion this is excellent advice. Along with having an idea in my head of occasions and situations where I'm comfortable making an exception I also mark every single time I eat off plan on the calendar with an X. An exception every few months or so is ok. An exception every month is not, that's a slippery slope that will land me right back where I started (excessive, out of control eating).

It's incredibly easy to fool yourself with the "special occasion" exceptions if you're not vigilant. Set your boundaries up front - when you're not under the carb influence :D - and commit to sticking to your plan.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh! I was also thinking about Xmas the other day and ways to keep moderate carb during it and I think I am going to make myself low carb almond brittle and low carb cookies but only on Xmas eve. That way I can limit whatever else I may eat as I will still have 'treats'.

I used to make Keto desserts now and then but don't really bother these days as I'm happy with a square of dark choc. But for Xmas I'll break a couple out.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Last year I was able to stay away from all holiday foods beginning with Halloween...except for one rather sad yet comical day after Thanksgiving binge. I lost about 12 pounds during the season making it worthwhile to me, as well as proving it can be done.
    I decided that holiday food was not needed as my regular foods are very satisfying.
    My Issues with carb slippage always stem from emotional pain and I had

accepted that would be present during that season.
    Actually I had more problems with lapses after the holiday season...possibly because I was not vigilant about my emotional wellbeing after they were over.

This year I have weight to lose again, so I will probably do much the same thing.

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a one week all inclusive vacation next week. I do not intend to cheat at all when I'm there. I plan on drinking vodka soda, rum and diet coke, and dry wines (possibly some tequila shots??) and just focusing on eating meats and salads which I know will be available. My goal is not to lose weight on this trip, but to maintain my weight. If I end up losing weight then, woohoo! I know how crappy I feel when I have carbs so to cheat on my keto diet is really just cheating myself of the opportunity to feel good and lose or maintain my weight.

At Christmas and thanksgiving dinners I intend to bring two dishes that are keto friendly. I know I can then eat the turkey, ham, and veggies (smothered in butter, of course). I don't usually want dessert these days anyway but I also intend on bringing a few atkins endulge bars in my suitcase on holidays and in my purse for family dinners, just in case. It's all about making a plan and doing the best you can to stick with it. You may have a different experience than me though.

• Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread and I am appreciating the discussion. Since I am Jewish, the big eating holidays are just upon me. It starts with a luncheon at my synagogue for Rosh Hashanah: noodle pudding, brownies, fruit salad, bagels and cream cheese. I can't eat any of that. So I will just have to bring my own food.

Yom Kippur, the day of atonement, is a 25 hour fast. We break the fast together with similar food. So again, I will have to bring my own.

I think the easiest thing for me to bring both communal meals will be deviled eggs and a vegetable salad. Good! Now I don't have to think about it any further!

For Thanksgiving, my favorite food is pecan pie. Sickeningly sweet, I know. I only eat it once a year. I don't care much about stuffing or mashed potatoes. Since I make the meal, I can make mashed cauliflower for myself, and eat that, turkey, and brussel sprouts with hazelnuts. I will try to find a lower carb portion of pecan pie, too.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Great responses here. Just a couple additions:

First, plan right now what you will and won't eat. If you wait until you are at the meal(s) with your family and friends, it is too late. You are far more likely to eat something you will regret.

Second, Tim Noakes said something in his interview for the Keto Summit yesterday that I found 100% true for me. The longer I have been LC, the more things that didn't seem sweet before now seem sweet. Sensitivity to sweet is much higher. The example he gave was milk, which is his highest carb food. For me, it is the occasional cashew in some mixed nuts. I never realized how sweet they are. He, like me, also avoids all the artificial sweet stuff because it just acts as a trigger to make him want more sweet stuff. It is the same with some other carbs for me as well like popcorn which I would eat way too much of at a time.

Third, beware of what Dr. Eric Westman calls trigger foods. Popcorn was one for me. It is that easy to eat food that is easy to overeat. These can even be LC foods like pepperoni slices or pieces of cheese that are common finger foods at a holiday get together. Of course, there are many HC foods like chips that fall into this category.

Personally, I will not be going off plan. The longer I stay LC, the less appealing these foods are to me. For me, going off plan seems like a way of possibly making these more appealing and more of a temptation again. It doesn't seem worth it. It is like when I quit smoking decades ago. If I was drinking, I would sometimes have a few smokes which only made me want them when I wasn't drinking. Once I had quit smoking even when drinking, it got to the point that when I tried it again, it just tasted totally disgusting.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'll be OK for Halloween, just won't have candy in the house. We have very few trick or treaters and plan to give out packs of Davids sunflower seeds.

For Thanksgiving, I love stuffing. In my past, I've even made stuffing sandwiches. I'm fine with just meats and veggies and will have a small portion of stuffing then move on. I'm not big on pies and cakes so that won't be an issue. I think I'll make a low carb cheesecake version just in case.

Christmas is much the same, except for the holiday work party. Last year we went to a Brazilian steakhouse with all you can eat meats so I was in heaven and couldn't help but stay on plan. With a different boss this year, I'm not sure how that will play out. I can usually make do with a meat and a vegetable. As a norm, I don't drink alcohol so I don't have to worry about making that work.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Halloween will be okay because I'm in my late twenties so I'm over the going out to the club for drinks scene. It's not really a cooking holiday and I don't have kids so candy in the house is not an issue. I'll probably get candy for the kids in the neighborhood but honestly the idea of any added sugar milk chocolate candy does not appeal to me like it once did.

Thanksgiving, well I'm skipping that with my family who lives out of town so I'll be at home so no need to make a really big meal for just myself.

Christmas and New Years....this will be tough not because of the actual holiday but because I'll be in Costa Rica and Panama for 3 weeks. I KNOW I'm going to eat high carbs, I'm just going to accept it. I'll surely kick myself out of keto and resume it when I get home, hopefully it doesn't mess me up for several weeks after. I'll try to look for low carb options that are NOT salads when I can. I can't do salads for 3 weeks.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We have lived out in the boonies for 18 years and not once have we had a trick or treater. So Halloween is not an issue. Thanksgiving, we go to Golden Corral and meet up with our son and his wife, and can choose what we eat there. The holidays, sadly, are not an issue for us since most of our loved ones have passed and our other child lives too far way. My husband's company has not had a Christmas party in years. I guess you can say, my plan is avoidance.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    I'll be OK for Halloween, just won't have candy in the house. We have very few trick or treaters and plan to give out packs of Davids sunflower seeds.

For Thanksgiving, I love stuffing. In my past, I've even made stuffing sandwiches. I'm fine with just meats and veggies and will have a small portion of stuffing then move on. I'm not big on pies and cakes so that won't be an issue. I think I'll make a low carb cheesecake version just in case.

Christmas is much the same, except for the holiday work party. Last year we went to a Brazilian steakhouse with all you can eat meats so I was in heaven and couldn't help but stay on plan. With a different boss this year, I'm not sure how that will play out. I can usually make do with a meat and a vegetable. As a norm, I don't drink alcohol so I don't have to worry about making that work.

@MiamiDawn - Last year someone posted an awesome recipe for low carb stuffing based off of almond flour muffins or something. Also, soul bread seems like it would work really well for this, without carbivores noticing a difference. Just FYI...