Overdue update and a question

Options
So... It's been a while since I posted or even visited but sometimes it's better if I go off into my corner for a bit to keep from being too obsessive. ☺ Here's my update.

Since mid-July when I started lifting weights again regularly and stopped my short experiment with low-calorie dieting I have settled in at around 1600 calories per day, sometimes a bit more. I will increase more but doing it very slowly. I tried adding more faster and felt stuffed and bloated a lot so I dropped back some. (Gallbladder removal may have something to do with that since it seems to have impacted my digestion a lot.)

I work out three days per week with dumbbell and some bodyweight exercises, will move up to 4x week soon. No real cardio, but I do walk some most days. I've gained 4 lbs (which is kinda freaking me out I admit) but my measurements haven't changed in a statistically relevant way. Just fractions of inches which could be where I put the tape from month to month.

Which brings me to the question. I hope that's indicating some muscle growth but I can't see any difference in measurements or photos. My strength has increased some as I have been able to increase weights a bit. Does that sound like a positive change and not just adding body fat?

Thanks, I always appreciate the comments and advice here!

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    That definitely shows that good things are happening! A lot of times the changes won't show visibly right away, but the fact that you are being able to lift more and that your weight increased but measurements barely moved is a huge indicator that things are changing for better! The weight increase could be in you muscles, bines, tendons, ligaments. For sure it is not fat. You are doing an amazing job by listening to your body while increasing your calories slowly. Also, as I remember, you have a small frame, so 4 lbs of fat would show right away!

Keep doing what you are doing, you are on the right track! Dicth the scales and marry the measurement tape!
    This article talks about how long it takes for lifting to show results: http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-long-to-see-results-from-lifting/

Thanks for giving an update!
    Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Tereza already said it, but yes those are great changes happening! The strength increase is a big one! Its awesome when you are lifting heavier, that is what brings on the muscle gains:)

Keep on going. You are doing well and dont worry about the scale. Not worth it.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • girlfighting50
    girlfighting50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @terezatoledo @Raynn1 Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I would say I have a small frame. 5'6" with wrists too small for most bracelets. :) That's one reason I wonder where those 4 lbs are since I'm not seeing any real difference in measurements. I'm doing new photos tomorrow and will be moving to the next level in my workout program next week - 4 days/week and more weight where I can. I'll just keep that going and see what happens.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @girlfighting50
    Great update! Yes, increase in strength is fantastic progress. You should most definitely be celebrating that!
    EM2WL does require a lot of patience, which sometimes is just dang hard! But all the work you are putting in now will compound together over the next few months and you will start feeling and even noticing differences.
    On the stomach bloat, it's a completely normal part of the process. I just posted this link on another post but thought it can't do any harm to leave it here for you too.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-to-deal-with-bloat-during-your-metabolism-reset/
    Keep going!
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator