Rice

JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
I know it's not a big LCHF food, but has anyone experimented with different types of rice? Someone I know said basmati rice doesn't spike her blood sugar. Anyone try various types and experiment? I might, but I'd like a jumping off point if someone already has. I love wild rice. I might be able to work a small bit into my macros.

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    We were told by a dietitian that basmati rice did not spike blood sugar. We did not test directly but when we were eating the diabetic diet recommended by the dietitian, including basmati rice, my DH's bs did not drop, it climbed. Then we went low carb and things got a lot better fast. So we put the basmati away.

Wild rice is a grass rather than true rice. But it is still very high carb and not small in the calorie division either. It has more fiber but ..... IMO, within the context of your macros, sure, but I would really have a look at it before I included it often.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I didn't have any while in the losing phase. Have had it twice since May of this year and it caused a runny nose. I wasn't ever diabetic, si I can't advise about blood sugar. I don't believe it will ever be a regular thing for me.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Interesting. Yes. And it would have to be severely limited. My worry would be carb cravings it might cause.

Still. I think it could be tried.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    I've only had rice once since going keto and that was in a sushi roll. I didn't notice any undue reactions but I am not diabetic. I have no way to test my blood sugar response.

I remember back in the day I read the old Atkins book and he was saying how no one likes to eat plain rice, it's just a carrier for sauces, butter, and stuff and as such it's easily eliminated when going low carb...well I did like to eat plain rice. I was really bad at controlling my portions with it too. I'm doing so well without it I probably won't ever add it back into regular rotation.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Nah. I'm not much of a rice girl. More of a pasta girl. Luckily there are some low carb substitutions for that. :smile:
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    I would love some pork fried rice...hmmm
  • JessicaLCHF
    Nah. I'm not much of a rice girl. More of a pasta girl. Luckily there are some low carb substitutions for that. :smile:

None that I've found that I like. I just do without. I tried the Atkins the other day. Awful.

But then, I'm the type that can't stand my "potatoes" to taste like cauliflower. Ew. I'd rather just skip them than have some sort of weird sub. My tastebuds rebel.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I did have some basmati rice the other day, all worked into my macro's, about 4 tablespoons of boiled rice with a high protein and fat dinner. Tasted heavenly, but brought on the carb cravings. Cannot comment about the blood sugar effect though.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Yeah. Cravings are what I'm worried about. I'm reworking a burrito recipe using low carb wraps for my daughter and on the fence about adding a little rice or nixing it altogether.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Depends on how you both react to carbs, personally I can eat some potato chips and be OK, bread has no effect but the rice! It really got to me. Which is funny as I have had rice noodles in the past and was perfectly fine afterwards.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member

None that I've found that I like. I just do without. I tried the Atkins the other day. Awful.

But then, I'm the type that can't stand my "potatoes" to taste like cauliflower. Ew. I'd rather just skip them than have some sort of weird sub. My tastebuds rebel.

Zuchinni noodles do it for me as a spaghetti sub. They oddly have the taste, and texture. Especially when mixed with a rich cheese sauce and some other things.

I've made lasagne today, and the keto pasta recipe included eggs, cream cheese, and Psyllium husk. Haven't tasted it yet so I can't tell you how it is. On it's own it tastes a bit eggy, but might taste better in the lasagne. I'll give it a go Monday. :smile:
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member

I m the same way. I would rather just skip the food rather than rry to substitute it...its not even close to the same thing (to me, I know people who swear by it tho)
  • JessicaLCHF
    I've used the cream cheese pancakes for lasagna noodles. And enchilada tortillas. They work. They even hold up to next day reheating well. But they taste funny, so I've only made them a few times. Saw this cartoon and it cracked me up. So perfect.

l7et2jlqhbcz.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    ^^The only times I've made soul bread, I've had areas that were very gooey - almost wet. I am certain that some cream cheese clustered in these areas during baking and that part is not good at all.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Try converting it to resistant starch. Cook it a day ahead, cool it in the refrigerator for 12 hours, then reheat it. I made s)ome potato salad that way - because we get potatoes from our CSA that needed to be eaten. I could eat about 50% more than I can when I just cook them and eat them hot.

The theory is that the cooling for 12 hours converts some of the starch in the rice to resistant starch that your body can't digest. If it can't digest it, it can't turn to glucose (same effect as fiber).
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    ^^The only times I've made soul bread, I've had areas that were very gooey - almost wet. I am certain that some cream cheese clustered in these areas during baking and that part is not good at all.

My Dad bakes bread so I asked him to make a loaf of soul bread for me and it turned out like that. But he apparently didn't leave it in long enough and had misread the time. My Mom made a loaf and it turned out awesome! had my first sandwich in 8 months when she baked that for me. I even used some to make grilled cheese sandwiches which were delicious. Haven't tried making it myself yet. I think I'm going to make the bacon cheddar version when I go home on leave. Or wait until I visit my parents up North and have Mom make it, lol! That, and the pumpkin version.

• JessicaLCHF
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Try converting it to resistant starch. Cook it a day ahead, cool it in the refrigerator for 12 hours, then reheat it. I made s)ome potato salad that way - because we get potatoes from our CSA that needed to be eaten. I could eat about 50% more than I can when I just cook them and eat them hot.

The theory is that the cooling for 12 hours converts some of the starch in the rice to resistant starch that your body can't digest. If it can't digest it, it can't turn to glucose (same effect as fiber).

Interesting theory! The burritos I'm making are made ahead and frozen so that's a win.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Hi, I am allergic to grains ( but not celiac) and eat rice every day. Basmati is a white rice, and I suspect it spikes the blood sugar too. What Michael Mosely said, was that brown rice that has been in the fridge for 12 hours, ( use reheated) loses the starch spike, so it does not spike blood sugar. I cook up a big batch and keep it in the fridge anyway, and only found out about this long after I use it this way. So it may back up what Jessica says above.

There is a big difference in my physical reaction to fresh hot rice and the re-heated variety - I do not get that seratonin high from the reheated.

Do not forget there are purple and black rices too....much like brown in health/fiber.

HOpe this helps a little bit. Beejay
  • neohdiver

Interesting theory! The burritos I'm making are made ahead and frozen so that's a win.

I don't know that it works for all carbs. The research I've read focuses on potatoes and rice. I've only personally tested it on potatoes.
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    Dr. Fung writes in The Obesity Code, "The addition of vinegar for sushi rice lowered the glycemic index of white rice by almost 40 percent," but I haven't made any yet and hesitate to test it since I miss rice and don't want to slip up too much.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Tried some basmati rice yesterday. But I was out and forgot my blood meter. Then I decided the naan looked really good tucked around the rice and the chicken masala. Then I got a mango lassi.

Well. I do one cheat meal a month. And it WAS October 1st.

Lol. Ok. Well, it was yummy. Back on today. No more rice.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Another interesting factoid: my stomach growled for the first time in a month this morning! So odd. I'd forgotten the feeling of being hungry. Interesting.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Does it make that much of a difference? I wonder about that, not for me but for my middle son. He would live on potatoes and rice if I let him. Perhaps I should ensure that I always have some leftovers in the fridge so he can snack more easily and healthfully than bread or crackers. (He lives on beige food - I swear.)

Off the top of your head, do you know any good directions I should go to learn more about this?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    I would love some pork fried rice...hmmm

@KetoLady86 ...here you go. Now you can have you pork fried rice and eat it too:

http://www.djfoodie.com/Fried-Rice

I've tried this recipe and it's very good! The only things I changed was that I used shrimp instead of ham and I used Miracle Rice instead of caulirice and by making that one substitute, I cut the carb content per serving size by bout half. Been craving it lately so am probably going to have to make it again soon!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member

@midwesterner85 ...Try cooking your next batch of soul bread either in 3 muffin top pans or 3 hamburger bun pans for 18-20 minutes total. No goey or wet spots guaranteed.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited October 2016
    You can get brown basmati (that's what we use most often - from California or Texas which has the lowest levels of inorganic arsenic), also other really good filling sorts of rice we buy are Chinese Black Rice and Bhutanese Red. Beautiful on the plate and higher mineral content including iron in the black rice. My Hubby gets 3/4 cup cooked and I get 3 tbs cooked as a treat that I always eat at the very end of my meal, plain. I'm like @anglyn1 that way. I only eat it every three weeks or so. I never buy Arborio any more.... sigh.... I could just eat 4 cups of risotto in a flash. Sad about that as I am northern Italian and we like our rice more than our pasta. We also prepare our rice like pasta in a large amount of water which is poured off when cooked lowering any arsenic by 50%.
    Here's a link for interesting rices if they aren't carried in your locale: http://southchinaseas.ca/red-bhutanese-green-bamboo-forbidden-black-just-three-of-the-nine-premium-rice-varieties-carried-by-south-china-seas/
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    @JessicaLCHF here's an easily understood scientific article on how to cook your rice so it's higher in resistant starch. Very quick & simple and a nice explanation of the food chemistry.
    http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-discover-a-new-way-to-cook-rice-that-could-halve-the-calories
  • neohdiver
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Does it make that much of a difference? I wonder about that, not for me but for my middle son. He would live on potatoes and rice if I let him. Perhaps I should ensure that I always have some leftovers in the fridge so he can snack more easily and healthfully than bread or crackers. (He lives on beige food - I swear.)

Off the top of your head, do you know any good directions I should go to learn more about this?

It was about a 50% increase in what I could tolerate. For potatoes you just cook them normally and let them cool. Theoretically the more cycles of cooling and reheating, the more conversion to resistant starch. I oven roasted them potatoes and onions with rosemary and garlic oil, cooled them, reheated them and tossed them with balsamic vinegar, cooled them, and then reheated them when I was ready to eat them. Prepared this way, I could eat about 250 grams of potato salad (mostly potato) - a pretty healthy serving.

Here's an research piece demonstrating the impact on blood gluose: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4616456/

In a quick search, I didn't re-find the main article I read that was straightforward and addressed the question of reheating. If I find it later, I'll add it to the thread.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited October 2016

Here's an research piece demonstrating the impact on blood gluose: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4616456/

@neohdiver -

What was the outcome of putting chilled potatoes through your glucose meter mill?

If I'm reading that article right, they set themselves the very modest target of BG=162, 2 hrs. post-prandial, as a yardstick for success.
    A post-meal glucose target of 9.0 mmol/L achieved within 1 to 2  hours after a meal has been suggested as long as hypoglycemia is avoided. Based on the present study, it was found that mean 2-hour post-prandial glucose levels could be adequately maintained below the suggested targets in patients with type 2 diabetes....

Not exactly the lowest bar in town!

• JessicaLCHF
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @JessicaLCHF here's an easily understood scientific article on how to cook your rice so it's higher in resistant starch. Very quick & simple and a nice explanation of the food chemistry.
    http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-discover-a-new-way-to-cook-rice-that-could-halve-the-calories

Huh! Coconut oil! Very interesting! I'm sending this link to my daughter. We're def gonna have to do some experimenting!