Let's talk about Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »
    6mimi wrote: »
    I've never been a coffee drinker. I had like 1 coffee a year, but I tried BPC to hit my fat macro and loved, wow. Now I wake up craving it. I make it with cream and stevia, but might exclude those again. I am not sure if stevia spikes my blood sugar. Anyone have experience and seen a difference?

I use liquid stevia just for this reason.

>:) or o:)

I haven't noticed it it spikes my blood sugar, but I have to avoid artificial sweeteners because they give me bad headaches.

Stevia
    The powder is bonded to a carb.

>:) or o:)

Today I learned something disappointing :(

Also my gummy multivitamins have 3 grams of carbs per serving. Should have noticed earlier :( If it's too good to be true...

UGH I feel you... I bought some from Costco only to open them and realize.. DUH of course they are sweetened.. they are gummies! I try to save a few carbs at the end of the day to fit them in.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Gahhhhh, for months now I have been putting liquid Stevia in my log for my bulletproof coffee when I use powdered Stevia. I knew powdered Stevia had some carbs but didn't think it really added up. I was wrong! I had to add the Publix brand of Stevia that comes in a tub to the food database because they only had the version that comes in the packets. After I added it to the database and then added it to my log for today, it added 8 g net carbs!
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Gahhhhh, for months now I have been putting liquid Stevia in my log for my bulletproof coffee when I use powdered Stevia. I knew powdered Stevia had some carbs but didn't think it really added up. I was wrong! I had to add the Publix brand of Stevia that comes in a tub to the food database because they only had the version that comes in the packets. After I added it to the database and then added it to my log for today, it added 8 g net carbs!

This powdered stevia business seems to be very screwy...

It's not possible to be zero calorie and have carbs! Carbs contain calories, 4 calories for each gram of carb to be exact. And if the manufacturers are blending the stevia with carbs and the majority of the product is a carb and not stevia, then that just seems like a lie... very strange, I just think the online nutrition facts must be rounded wrong or something. My nutrition facts on my Stevia in the Raw say 0 g of carbs per 1 g packet, so I think it hasn't and won't make a dent for my purposes, but I guess I'll try to look out for some liquid stevia moving forward.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »
    bowlerae wrote: »

This powdered stevia business seems to be very screwy...

It's not possible to be zero calorie and have carbs! Carbs contain calories, 4 calories for each gram of carb to be exact. And if the manufacturers are blending the stevia with carbs and the majority of the product is a carb and not stevia, then that just seems like a lie... very strange, I just think the online nutrition facts must be rounded wrong or something. My nutrition facts on my Stevia in the Raw say 0 g of carbs per 1 g packet, so I think it hasn't and won't make a dent for my purposes, but I guess I'll try to look out for some liquid stevia moving forward.

If the carbs are from sugar alcohols, they don't contain the standard 4 calories/gram, they contain a fraction of a calorie/gram and can be considered zero calorie while containing carbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Every powdered sweetener has carbs due to being blended with something else. Some things even have different things blended in depending on if you buy the packets or the bag of it. Like Truvia. The "baking blend" which comes in a big bag has sugar as the second ingredient. The packets don't.
    There was some other bag sweetener I saw recently that was xylitol but had maltodextrin and dextrose as the bulking agents.
    Stick with liquid and try to wean off of it if you can. Then you never have to think about it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Found this, which looks very interesting to me.... Homemade Bulletproof Gummies.
    Ingredients

1 cup hot fresh brewed organic coffee
    1 tbsp grass-fed butter
    1 tbsp coconut oil or MCT oil
    1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
    5 tbsp grass-fed gelatin
    sweeten to taste with stevia or equivalent
    Instructions

Blend all in your blender until mixed well and frothy.

Pour into candy molds and put in the fridge until set (20 minutes to 2 hours).

Pop out of molds and store in a container. When you are ready, drop them into your coffee or eat them whole!
    It's on this site: http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-bulletproof-coffee-recipes-intermittent-fasting/
    Bulletproof-Coffee-Gummies.jpg
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Those look like they would either be amazing or horrendous. I must find out which.
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    @drawoc, I hear you about the calories! I just started with BPC this week, so far I like it fine. Mine is Coffee + 2 tbsp of coconut oil, blended. Keeps me full until lunch time. I started because sine going keto I was struggling with the small amount of protein I can have daily, so with just BPC for breakfast I can use my protein for lunch and dinner. Works for me ☕️. I hope you find a good solution or a blend that you like!
  • Ominu
    Ominu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love it. I have 16oz black coffee, and a tablespoon and a half of butter and organic coconut oil in it every morning. It does take the edge off hunger a little for me, but I still have half an avocado mid morning. (that might be just habit though)
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I bought some medium and dark roast kcups this week. I was previously using Green Mountain Breakfast Blend which I didn't realize was a light blend (I thought it was medium) and I wanted something with a little more coffee flavor. I tried a medium blend and it is just the right amount of coffee flavor, I think the dark blend will be TOO much for my tastes.

The good thing though is, with the medium blend, I can add more to my coffee without losing the flavor. Today I mixed 2 Tbsp butter, 2 Tbsp MCT oil, 1 Tbsp almond milk (ran out of HWC), 2 tsp collagen, cinnamon and liquid Vanilla Cream Stevia. It tasted amazing!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Those look like they would either be amazing or horrendous. I must find out which.

I thought the same thing! :lol:
  • Habiteer
    Options
    carom wrote: »
    @drawoc, I hear you about the calories! I just started with BPC this week, so far I like it fine. Mine is Coffee + 2 tbsp of coconut oil, blended. Keeps me full until lunch time. I started because sine going keto I was struggling with the small amount of protein I can have daily, so with just BPC for breakfast I can use my protein for lunch and dinner. Works for me ☕️. I hope you find a good solution or a blend that you like!

I've just been drinking my coffee black since then
  • Habiteer
    Options
    Ugh I hate when MFP deletes most of my post because I was typing on my phone. Oh well, not really interesting, but black coffee suppresses my appetite more than enough for intermittent fasting anyhoo.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do this. I drink my coffee straight up black and woe be to the person that messes with it!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do this. I drink my coffee straight up black and woe be to the person that messes with it!

I tried it for the first time on Saturday. Blending it is KEY. I added a splash of vanilla and 5 drops of liquid stevia to mine. It makes frothy yummy goodness! I was a little sad going to work this AM with regular coffee and powdered creamer.. lol. I didn't want to turn my blender on and wake up my kiddo.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I make bullet proof hot chocolate :smile:

Chocolate peanut butter whey isolate
    heavy cream
    butter
    coconut oil

Mix it all together with a hand immersion blender. You can also add or sub an ingredient with coconut cream.

Okay now THAT I might be able to get behind! It's like a fat bomb drink!

Yeah this might just do the trick, not a fan of BPC usually.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I feel like it's a good idea to note that if you already drink your coffee black or any other way for that matter and it's enough to keep you satisfied until lunch, there is absolutely no fat loss benefit to adding coconut oil or butter. There may be other benefits from the mct's and butyric acid in the butter, but it means you won't be burning body fat as soon as compared to drinking a non fatty coffee as your breakfast.

So, it's really only going to help with fat loss if it helps you be able to continue your overnight fast until at least lunchtime. And preventing you from eating as much overall that day.

Just wanted to clear that up.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    . . .I didn't want to turn my blender on and wake up my kiddo.

I'm with you. My granddaughter's room is next to the kitchen, so I now keep my immersion blender in my bathroom and froth my BPC in there!

• BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just wish there was a very quick way to make it. I usually make it on my days off because I don't want to take the time to do it before work. I took a carton of heavy cream to work with me and use that in my coffee instead on work days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I just wish there was a very quick way to make it. I usually make it on my days off because I don't want to take the time to do it before work. I took a carton of heavy cream to work with me and use that in my coffee instead on work days.

I just use a little battery operated milk frother. It's silent and I don't have to put the coffee in a larger container. Just put it in my cup and froth... it takes about 15 seconds.