For Those Who are Tracking with MFP

Options
beachwoman2006
beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
While the food database for MFP seems MUCH more extensive than the one for WW, I've also found that there are LOTS of entries for the same foods; but with different Nutritional Information. And I mean same brand and same food. Many times I've had the container right in front of me and the calories/fat/sugar/etc. is vastly different from what people have entered in the database.

Does anyone know if there's a way to have MFP search ONLY the foods in the database created by MFP rather than all foods which includes foods entered by members?

What I've been doing is creating a new entry with the information on the package, selecting it, and then adding it to My Foods (or My Favorites -- whichever it is).

Replies

• shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,100 Member
    Options
    I like the MFP tracking better than WW. I'm old school calories in/calories out. My wife thinks that MFP allows too many carbs. She has type II diabetes, so is more concerned with this. I adjusted my daily goals accordingly.

I looked, and items in the food database with the green check mark are supposed to be accurate, and checked out by MFP. The Google search also said that MFP finds these items nutritionally balanced. I struggle with generic items when there is no brand specific in the database. For example, getting a two meat pizza from a local pizzeria. There is a wide variety of choices, and I will just pick the one that seems most reasonable.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I use the barcode scanner a lot for any new product that we make at home. Brings all the info off the package.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,553 Member
    Options
    If there is no green check mark I always do a reasonableness test. Even so, like the WW database, you still have to challenge it at times when it seems too good to be true.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I assumed the ones with the green check mark were put there by MFP. BUT, those are some that have been incorrect. Maybe the NI is different on packages depending on where the package is bought?
  • susan092907
    susan092907 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I assumed the ones with the green check mark were put there by MFP. BUT, those are some that have been incorrect. Maybe the NI is different on packages depending on where the package is bought?

I've found the same thing. I'm thinking that the NI information for any product may change from time to time or place to place, depending on the actual food processor that supplies the brand name.

My general approach is to conclude that my calorie intake as tracked on MFP - or any where else - is an estimate, and sometimes it may be a very broad estimate. I try to take the long view on this, and watch scale trends.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Dittos re: the green checks. When the NI is off but not dramatically so, I usually assume either the serving size or some other aspect of the product has changed since the entry was made.

I also agree with others' observations in general re: MFP tracker is not perfect but is a nice improvement over others I've used. I was using the LoseIt! app for a couple of years and found it much better than WW. MFP leaves them both in the dust.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,553 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I believe the green check mark means it has been validated by x number of users. When you click to see the NI you can verify it if you wish. So as with WW it pays to verify your commonly used items and submit changes if noted.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    I to make the change but I also look for the same nutrition label as on the product that matches. I find the green check mark sometimes differs to.