Very low birth weight, insulin resistant? Curious!

Options
lodro
lodro Posts: 982 Member
Hello all!

My birth weight was extremely low (<1500g) Recently I learned that very low birth weight and insulin resistance have a direct correlation. Just out of curiosity: who among you who is insulin resistant was also (very) low weight at birth? (<2500g)

I realize this is somewhat of a straw poll, but I'm guessing that there must be people here who have the same history I have.

Replies

• MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I was full-term, but just a shade over 5 lbs. at birth. I've struggled with insulin resistance all my adult life.
  • lodro
    Options
    I'm guessing/hoping I'll get a good number of replies. My brother has kind of the same history I have (2000g but premature, while I was full term but lighter). My mother showed a recent photograph he was in: literally the entire typology of insulin resistance. I know he's struggling with his weight. Difficult matter, should I indicate to him what the way out of his health predicament might be? But that's a side thought.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    IR yes.
    full term 7 pounder
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am insulin resistant. All I know is if I have sugar it spirals out of control quickly.

I was, in fact, a very small baby though.
  • lodro
    Options
    I don't know if I am insulin resistant. All I know is if I have sugar it spirals out of control quickly.

I was, in fact, a very small baby though.

there seems to be a direct correlation from a number of possible mechanisms that have to do with protecting vital organs while still in the womb and/or triggers to HGF because the foetus' body needs to reach sufficient length.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was nearly 8 pounds, 7 pounds, 11 ounces (just under 3500 g, from my calcs). I can track my symptoms of insulin resistance back to under age 10. Full term, as far as I know.

My daughter was 8 pounds, 3 ounces, and a little past full term. My blood sugars remained stable during the entire pregnancy, including those lovely disgusting glucose tests. I don't believe any of her weight was related to insulin or sugars out of balance. I wonder if this means she's less likely to inherit my issues? She was considered in the 95th percentile in both height and weight at birth (she was 21.75" long, for reference - 55.25 cm)... She is a very thin teen these days, and I was already heavier than most of my classmates in elementary school.

Also, I wonder how inflated weights due to uncontrolled diabetes (gestational or otherwise) during pregnancies influence these statistics. Interesting discussion. @lodro - do you have a link to the info that started you wondering about all this?
  • lodro
    Options
    Here's one article, but do a google search on "low birth weight insulin resistance" and you'll find lots of literature

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12924461_Low_birthweight_and_adult_insulin_resistance_The_'catch-up_growth'_hypothesis
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Also mentioned on the Ketosummit.com is the likelihood of insulin resistance starting in the womb for babies of mother's who had gestational diabetes. Short story is the baby is 'bathed' in glucose which does cross the placental barrier, but since insulin does not cross this barrier, the baby must battle the high sugars with its own insulin, overworking the newly formed pancreas from the start.
  • lodro
    Options
    I read something similar but with PCOS as a cause of insulin resistance during gestation.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, now if we want to go into what can happen in utero to trigger IR or PCOS in kiddos, that's a whole other ball of wax, and we've had discussions on that in the PCOS group. My daughter seems to have inherited her dad's side of the genetics, so I'm hoping she doesn't end up with PCOS, like me, my mom, my aunt, and my grandmother - though all the other ladies are unconfirmed, but all the symptoms...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Also mentioned on the Ketosummit.com is the likelihood of insulin resistance starting in the womb for babies of mother's who had gestational diabetes. Short story is the baby is 'bathed' in glucose which does cross the placental barrier, but since insulin does not cross this barrier, the baby must battle the high sugars with its own insulin, overworking the newly formed pancreas from the start.

This worries me about my boys. I did not have gestational diabetes but I had my boys just a few years before IR became more obvious. Back then I did have reactive hypoglycemia which is often a sign of IR too. Did I have the beginnings of high BG? Who knows... I do know that I lived on cold powdered ice tea in the first few months since I couldn't keep much down. Ugh. My old ignorance is disturbing. :(

I was a normal weight baby. Seven lbs or thereabouts. In my family that is quite a small baby though. 8-10lbs is more normal. I always attributed being "small" to mom's smoking. My guess is that her BG was normal back then.