Bad breath

Options
tjones0411
tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
I was VLC for about 5 months and really found it to be a satisfying way of eating. I had no problem sticking to it, I lost 20 pounds and hit my goal weight. But good God, my breath was awful. I did some reading and most people complained of a rotten fruity smell...mine wasn't that...it was straight up garbage. I increased my water intake significantly and was drinking 1.5-2 gallons per day, trying to flush out or dilute whatever it was and that didn't help. I thought maybe as I got "adapted", that would help, but after 5 months, it was still the same. Oral Hygiene wasn't the issue either. I added more carbs back in and it went away.

I have been off of LCHF (at least not as strict about it) for the past few months and just don't feel as great. I'd love to get back into my preferred way of eating, but hate the thought of the awful breath returning.

Any advice? I guess I could find the fine line where I'm consuming enough carbs to keep the breath in check, but not enough to throw me off track? Yikes...that's a slippery slope.

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! Garbage is exactly how my husband described my breath. I tried everything - tons of water (which did help, but not enough), really low protein (as high protein can cause really stinky bad breath), mints, gum, constant teeth brushing... and the list goes on.

I stuck with it though, thank god my husband really really loves me lol. By month six, it pretty much miraculously went away and 3-4 months later, I'm still good. And I'm not doing anything different, I'm presuming my body has just adapted to my new woe finally.

It sucks. I wanted to hide in my room and not come out. I never wanted to talk to other people without a glass of water in my hand. Ugh... I was so ready to give up!! I wish there was a magical solution :blush:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Besides the possibility of too much protein, I've heard this can be candida die off and that seems to make sense for why it goes away when carbs are increased as well as when people just wait it out. (When it completely died off)
    How long that takes may vary from person to person or how low carb you go.