LTL Monday

Options
podkey
podkey Posts: 5,089 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- Podkey / Bob
Tuesday -- misterhub / Greg
Wednesday -- beachwoman2006 / Cindy
Thursday -- Calvin2008Brian / Brian
Friday -- Al_Howard / Al

Today's topic: How do you keep Living the Lifestyle simple?

Alternative topic: or do you prefer to track all the possible macro and micronutrients and more?

Replies

• podkey
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OK for me I started out with the WW point system in the days before apps on phones smarter than me etc. 1 oz of xyz was 1 pt. After a year at goal I transitioned to doing mostly simply filling and stopped formal journaling except when new programs rolled out . I would then track them for a couple of weeks to see changes if any. I do spend a lot of time keeping an exercise journal on line (bikejournaldotcom) which a fellow WW turned me on to. I put in my notes about walking in there too.

I guess eating a fair number of same or similar meals makes it easier for me too.

What say you????

Oh I am a westcoaster so don't usually post that early or might do this night before sometimes as early edition.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    One of the things I've always liked about WW is the stuff it allows me to ignore. I decided early on that I was going to get my information about WL from two places, WW and my Dr.

I found that my head was loaded with misinformation. A lot of that was internalized marketing. "20 minutes a day, 3 times per week."
    The press loves to play jerk around on diet and exercise. On Monday a 20 min walk is good. By Friday it's a marathon a month or you're wasting your time. Like I said, I tried to turn it all off.

Last thing, a lot of people would show up on GOAD declaring they were there to "eat healthy." Generally that meant a bunch of additional requirements. I didn't do that. WW doesn't really require eating "healthy" as most folks would define it. WW success only requires fewer calories. And all that gets you is a lower number at the scale. That's all that I've aimed at here. Sorta Occam's razor WW.
  • podkey
    Options
    I agree with ya. Do this no, do that. Eat this no, eat that. I found it very interesting that Dr Ken Cooper who coined or at least popularized the word aerobics found that when he measured some housewives they were indeed aerobically fit to a decent level without ever doing formal aerobics at all. My take home is that I do get out and move but don't worry my head off about doing formal brazilian butt jiggling in a stuffy gym for 60 head spinning minutes.
    Combining moving with things I have to do has helped me a lot in a simpler way too.
    Hey if I loved my peeps in a class I might do it for fun but no pressure really.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,964 Member
    Options
    For me I've tried to keep to keep it simple but since I have been in the loss mode since I started and still am there really is no way of keeping it simple. When I try to make a short cut out of the plan I find my self as I am now. Up many lbs. So back to the basics for me tracking everything as usual.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,229 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on the basics: 1) Proper nutrition; 2) Portion Control; 3) Movement. If I can drop something into each of those buckets, I am doing okay.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I keep it "simple" by eating a boring few items over and over. I see all the great looking meals/recipes on Connect or the weekly WW handout but I don't branch out. I was eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast for MONTHS. Finally got sick of them and will try oatmeal for next few months.
    My four year WW Anniversary is in Jan and I'm still trying to get to Onederland. It's "only" 37# away, I know what it takes so I will continue with my K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple Stupid!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple by teaching myself how to estimate proper portions instead of being trapped pulling out the food scale for my meals. If I develop that skill early while losing, then it will be easier to keep in my range later in life (or when the scale isn't available).
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I understand the basics of the program (current program) less fat, less sugar, lean protein, move throughout the day...and use that to guide my behavior.

I've been on program long enough now that I know the foods/portions etc. and probably am somewhat intuitive about it, but I track because it removes the doubt around what I am doing and thus keeps it simple for me that I am doing it right.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I do track my macronutrients via MFP but don't worry about the micronutrients.

I eat a lot of the same things every day which makes it much easier to track. I do weigh/measure my portions as I can easily deceive myself about how much I've really doled out onto my plate.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I try to follow three simple (but not easy) rules every day - stay within my points allowance, track and move. If I do these three things, I make forward progress. If I don't, forward progress is certainly limited if not eliminated entirely.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    After thinking it through, I really struggle to identify anything unique that I do that makes living the lifestyle more simple. I find the tracking app on MSP to be pretty simple, and I enjoy using it. I guess if I was to say anything it would be that I don't sweat the details. Weight loss is one of those things where a sincere best effort to get close enough, over an extended period of time, will usually be good enough.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I keep it as simple as possible. I've always hated tracking so when Core was introduced, I jumped right into it. Fast forward many years and I signed up for MFP. I *do* track on MFP, but I keep it as simple as possible One thing I *do* like about the way that MFP tracks is that does keep up my total "macronutrients" a little bit. It's just another piece of data.

One thing that has become abundantly clear to me since I started tracking with MFP is that I'm a creature of habit. Almost all the foods I track can be found in my "Recent" list. LOL
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Simple for me is just tracking my daily intake and recording it here on MFP. If I don't find the exact food in the database, I just pick something that I think is close. For me, the most important thing right now is to have a calorie deficit most days. I allow for some weekend spiking but I am trying diligently to keep an accurate record even when I blow it. I can look back at my history and compare calorie intake to weight loss.

And simple for me is saying to myself every day that this lifestyle is not an option. It is necessary for me to live this way in order to have a good quality of life. And saying to myself that there is no finish line and no race. Just day by day doing more thing as an adult and less as a whining child.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I try to keep LTL simple by limiting the number of food decisions I need to make each day through advance planning.

Over the weekend, I decide what I am going to have for my week day breakfasts and lunches, and then I have that same thing each work day. I prep for the work week and have my breakfasts and lunches in the fridge/freezer ready to grab in the morning. Then I make a list of 5 or 6 dinners to choose from and make sure I have ingredients on hand for those options. I'm working on planning my snacks and evening eating choices.

Planning for the work week lets me be more flexible over the weekend.

If I don't have to think about food choices too much during the work week, life is better.

Alternative topic: or do you prefer to track all the possible macro and micronutrients and more? Nope - If my doctor is happy with my lab work, I'm happy.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple by not obsessing on it. It's an important part of my life but it's not fun for me nor is it something that I choose to invest a ton of time and energy in. Honestly, as important as it is to me, there are other things that I want or choose to use those resources for.

I accept the tradeoff--that I can't eat and drink like I used to and meet or maintain my weight loss goals. Dare I say it's as simple as that?? I track consistently but don't look up my foods to the 'knat's *kitten*'. I won't spend 30 minutes finding the exact food but instead use the conservative average point value. I can do that relatively quickly at home even with our lousy internet connection so rarely do I have the excuse that I couldn't track.

I also keep it simple by minimizing my focus on the scale. It's a daily number that is used to calculate the 7-day moving average. Most days I accept it for what it is and keep moving. It's useful information but I try not to let it set my mood for the day or week.

I'm not one to go to the gym (it would be a hassle from where I live) but I do realize I can walk or hike--things that I like to do to move and burn calories. Doing chores around our property (often involving hauling rock, clearing brush, etc.) helps too. This kind of activity is more to my liking and saves me money while helping to keep the lifestyle simple.

Altogether, even though the weight loss is very important to me, I'm glad I've found ways to allow it to operate largely in the background for me. I'm very lucky my partner enjoys shopping and food prep/cooking or the whole thing would be much more work, time and energy for me, thus not as simple. The way we're doing it now (she's working at losing weight too), it is relatively simple and effective. Win-win (and I rarely use that phrase).