pEDaLing GoAdiEs rainyday Monday!!

Options
podkey
podkey Posts: 5,089 Member
This is your e-paceline, no drops and all are welcome. You bought it so ride it! Newbies, veterans, roadies, mtbers share your adventures, ask your questions and inspire the rest!
From one speed to a gazillion gears. From one mile to mucho more

QOTD: Rides?? or do you hang up your steed for the inclement months?

Replies

• podkey
    Options
    OK Saturday was first day in a long time I have not ridden. I had an early charity walk to aid the AFSP (american foundation of suicide prevention) with some fellow WW meeting members.
    The event was much more upbeat than I imagined and it was a nice sunny walk around the rivers and bridges of downtown Portland for 3.5 miles.

Sunday I rode my hour ride to WW meeting and back in steady rain. My goretex top and rain pants saved the day. It is chilly now and showers creep in some days.
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    only got a 16 mile ride in on Saturday between rain showers. Because of those showers I did not get on the bike yesterday had to mow the lawn, make sure DS knows how to put up a tent for his Webelos/Scout campout this coming weekend, spray said tent with water proofing chemicals (and some of my bike gear (panniers, etc)) and put the winter lube on my hybrid bike chain. I thought about replacing the worn out chain and cassette and decided my riding the old ones a little longer won't hurt anything and I can save the new chain/cassette for next years commute. Had to start wearing the long pants/sleeved gear to work today. Rain is in forecast for middle of the week. Will ride till the ground is white or if I can cross the river without the aid of a bridge as I have seen frostbite and I don't want it on me.
  • podkey
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me I should run some lube through my chain after the rain. I have been using ATB ("absolutely the best" self proclaimed) mostly summer formula in my chains. By doing it often it acts as both a "cleaner" and a lube. I have ridden down to teens a few times but really after my incident last year I probably won't be doing that. I do own studded snow tires which work great for traction. True.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I got misted/rained on a lot this weekend, mostly during my run and hikes. After wiping out in the rain 3 weeks ago, I'm even more cautious about riding in inclement weather. It just takes too long to recover from a spill.

I did get 2 short rides in to support point-to-point hikes. 7+ miles and 4 miles. Something is better than nothing.
  • podkey
    Options
    Yup anything is better than nada. Yea after my slip on the" trex" board (plastic and fiber) bridge over the wetlands last January I am more than super cautious. I was being "pretty cautious that day but sheesh. Than can get a film of "slime" or they "frost up" early too.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I had a very pleasant ride last evening which was my first in about 3 weeks for many reasons. I was thinking while I rode that I'm likely not more than 3 - 4 weeks away from the end of my season. I have a free cleaning / tune up with the shop where I bought my bike. I was laughing to myself because I know it will be hard to take this bike in there for that service without coming out with a new road bike. I'm sure that's just the way they drew it up. LOL.

• gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    podkey wrote: »
    Yea after my slip on the" trex" board (plastic and fiber) bridge over the wetlands last January I am more than super cautious. I was being "pretty cautious that day but sheesh. Than can get a film of "slime" or they "frost up" early too.

Some of the hiking trails I navigated this weekend had boardwalks which were also slippery just being on foot much less a bike.

Those road signs that say "Bridges freeze before roads" are so true!

• Swtdwy
    Swtdwy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I got in just a nice 22 miler on Sunday. Lots of other stuff over the weekend. I had grand plans for the end of the year, but too much going on. Family stuff, taking DS to visit colleges. I'll be happy if I can get 500 more miles for the year to get to 3000.
  • podkey
    Options
    Piece of cake Mark. You can do it. Yeah have fun with DS visiting colleges for sure.
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Mark, Take your bikes on the college visits(provided you are driving) and use the bikes to tour the campus and the town.
  • Swtdwy
    Options
    Mark, Take your bikes on the college visits(provided you are driving) and use the bikes to tour the campus and the town.

Not a bad idea. Don't think it will work logistically, but I like the out of the box thinking! We're flying to Bozeman MT in November. Funny though...one of the things DW and I will be looking for is are there places to ride around there, maybe even guided tours like Trek or Backroads. That way we can piggyback dropping the kid off with a cycling trip. This kinda thing might work for UN Reno (cycle around Lake Tahoe) or Montana St (it's a ways but Grizzly or Yellowstone)

• gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Swtdwy - check in with the local bike shops where you are visiting. They often will rent you a bike for a day. I rented a bike when we went up to northern Wisconsin this summer. It was very reasonable.
  • podkey
    Options
    I have done that too.
  • Swtdwy
    Options
    We're visiting my sister in Atlanta over Christmas. They live just down the street from the Silver Comet trail. silvercometga.com/. We plan on renting bikes out there. Probably bring our SPD pedals and bike shoes too.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Swtdwy - I did bring my pedals and bike shoes. Good thing because there were some killer hills leaving Bayfield!