GBOMBs in October

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,331 Member
    How are you feeling this week, Mihani? Still a bit blah and overwhelmed? I know exercise always helps perk me up, but of course it is the most difficult to get into when you're feeling blah!

I haven't been getting any exercise in. I'm having a lot of migraines and it has been a very wet and blustery week or so. It isn't supposed to let up until this coming Friday, which is the day that my SIL and MIL arrive. They are staying for 9 days. They are arriving in the afternoon and seeing our new place for the first time, so we're hopefully going to have some time to sweep away the debris from the storms we've been having. The lawn is ready to be mowed again, but it is just too wet. They might want to try out our new mower anyway, so that's one thing I won't worry about!

Hopefully my SIL, Liz, will inspire us with some new vegan recipes. She was a vegetarian for many years and became vegan while living in NYC. She said the selection for vegan groceries and also the number of vegan food options for eating out is amazing there. I'm sure it is but I would not be able to deal with the crowds.

Tonight Joe and I are making the good old standby - red lentil cauliflower curry. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might make some African Peanut stew as well.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,878 Member
    edited October 2016
    How'd your curry turn out Carla? This last time I made it I found it a bit bland, and I think I usually use hot curry powder but I used mild this time. I need to make a note of that for future. It was still good, but just not as much kick as I remembered. I need to throw together another batch of the lentil stew from OSG this week. I'm hooked on that stuff. Hope the weather improves and your headaches go away. Migraines are the worst, I feel for you.

I had a pretty good day, but still so far behind and so overwhelmed. I seem to be coping with it a bit better though. At least I'm not dissolving in tears on a daily basis lol.

Today was pretty much a bust eating wise. Started the day off well with a smoothie, but then a subway sub for lunch, 2 slices of peanut butter toast and an apple for dinner. I did stop at the grocery today and got more romaine and baby spinach though, so I will get back to more greens less starchy carbs tomorrow.

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Good morning guys. :smile:

I'm struggling with the blahs still too. I could blame it on the weather, but I'm positive if I ate better it'd resolve itself pretty quickly.

I'm swimming, but only 2x per week, so it's not really having a big impact. I can tell I'm improving (not as winded, better reach and rotation as my shoulders loosen up), but it's a far cry from where I need to be.

I am sad to say that I've gained all my weight back too. It's depressing.

Today I have a banana for breakfast (I need groceries) and I have the OSG Black Bean Quinoa salad (from the website - with shredded carrots and cumin dressing). I think tonight I'll get myself some groceries and get back to smoothie breakfasts and veggie/hummus lunches. Then some kind of stirfry supper. Gotta get off the carbs. Bigtime...

So it kinda sounds like we're all in the same place right now. Must be the weather...

Carla - I hope you have a nice visit with your MIL & SIL - I'd love more vegan options, but I'm with you about crowds too.

Mihani - sounds like you didn't totally go off the deep end yesterday, other than being a bit carb - heavy. I have been enjoying peanut butter toast quite a lot myself lately (and it shows) :wink:
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Hi guys!

Sorry to hear everyone has the fall blahs!! It probably comes with the territory. I feel out of sorts too, I feel like I'm almost actually waiting for Christmas at the moment, lol, which is craziness...

BTW, PB toast for the win!!! It's a staple at the moment, along with vegan butter on toast when my stomach is particularly upset. lol. At the moment, the thought of salad is actually gag-inducing!

Karrie, love that quinoa salad recipe!!! It's a go-to of mine, it's so easy too. I'm heavyyyyy into the carbs right now. Like the vegetable content of my meals is questionable at the moment.... ugh. How's the swimming going through? 2 times a week is still great! You're going :) I haven't tried out my new bathing suit yet... sigh.

Carla I added you to Instagram! So excited to see your artwork. I have more friends on Instagram that are dogs (corgis, mostly) than real people I think lol.

Mihani, finally made the golden stew!!! Mine turned out a lot more like soup than stew though. But still a great flavour. I've been craving lentils like crazy lately. I'm going to make the red lentil and kale spiced soup from the old OSG this week too. "On the mend" I think it's called.

I got some yoga in and a little more walking, but not enough yet. I can feel like back bugging me more so it's a good reminder to be more active. I got some good gardening in yesterday at least!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Hey guys!

Things got switched around and I'm making the curry tonight, Mihani. The curry powder does make a big difference. I also find that if I've been eating off plan a lot that I need to either use regular sodium broth or add more salt to boost the flavor.

Karrie, don't knock your 2 days a week at the pool. I wish I was doing as well! And already improving...nice!! I had coffee for breakfast (also need to get groceries!).

Gardening, Lia? Wow! you must be having better weather out your way. I really wish it was at least dry so I could pull some of the larger weeds out of the yard before my MIL arrives. Salad is gag-inducing for me too lately. It just doesn't appeal and I feel like I'd rather have nothing than have salad. But then I just decide to have something else rather than nothing!

Oh yeah, I'm on the PB and toast diet plan, too! Though I add some honey to mine. I use Manuka honey so that I can feel good about my 'healthy' choice!
  • Mihani
    Hi Karrie, the weird thing for me is that this time of year is usually my most energetic and for some reason I am just 24/7 exhausted. Two times a week swimming is twice as often as none, well done! What kind of knitting projects do you have going at the moment?

Lia the lentil stew is more like soup for me too on the cooking time in the directions, but I just keep cooking it down until it is thick like stew. I am betting that my concept of “simmer” is probably a lower heat than what she means in the recipe. This last time I turned the heat back up after the initial simmer and cooked it at a higher heat until it thickened up. Yay for you doing some yoga and walking!

Carla did you get your house and yard all ready for company? Hope you enjoy your visit. I don’t seem to want salad either, although I made stir-fry veggies with brown rice last night and it tasted so good and my body was like oh hey, thanks, veggies! I’ve been eating subway veggie subs for lunch a lot lately, figure at least that way I’m getting some greens and veggies in.

Yesterday and today were the exact same…
    B – PB toast and amazing grass shaken with hemp milk
    L – subway veggie sub, apple
    D – stir-fry veggies and brown rice

Except today I had some triscuits too. I have a bunch of bags of steamer veggies in the freezer at work and I should be eating those at lunch. I throw some nooch and ground black pepper on them and they are actually pretty good. I discovered I just like the ones with broccoli or the mix of broccoli and cauliflower. There’s something about frozen steamed carrots that just grosses me out. The texture and flavor aren’t appealing at all, so I quit buying any that have carrots in them.

Oh, and I’ve been doing yoga more regularly and it really helps to calm and center me, and my body isn’t as achy when I stretch out my muscles.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Made some progress on getting ready for company. We had lunch out while running errands and split a sandwich on a lot of puffy bread. I also had a pumpkin spice latte.

Joe managed to get the front lawn mowed but the blower didn't really pick up the cut grass because it was too wet. It still looks better cut than it did long!

We have more to do tomorrow and then they arrive on Friday.

Nice work with the yoga, Mihani!

Hopefully I'll be able to check in a few times while they are here. I will probably be going a little bonkers after 9 days of company!
  • whats_her_name
    I've had all the things to make green smoothies for the last 2 days, but for some reason I haven't brought myself to actually MAKE them yet. Gotta do that!!

Yesterday's swim was really good. Did 1km in about 40 minutes. I wasn't try to go fast, I was just trying to keep track of my # of laps and I focused on holding my breath longer (I did a lot of it just breathing once every 6 strokes). I also tried to focus on rotating my shoulders to get them nicely stretched out. I'm going to use that approach again today, because my shoulders definitely need the stretch!

I'm still very busy with knitting; I'm obsessed, really... I've just finished up these yellow socks, which I am in love with!

kfvhmnxckt7r.jpg

I'm working on a pair of dark green socks now, and a sweater for my DD - I'll share that one when it's done 'cuz it's lovely. I'm also about to start a sweater for my DS and pretty soon I'm gonna be making lots of hats for the winter...

• Mihani
    Carla, I love having people around and then all of a sudden I’m like wait, I need to be alone now, so I get that lol. I get into all the pumpkin flavored things this time of year too. I was addicted to the pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks and then found out a few years ago even with soy milk they aren’t vegan, apparently the stuff they use in the pumpkin flavor has dairy. That totally bummed me out, but it saves me money and calories in the fall now at least.

OMG Karrie… love the socks! I really don’t know how you can make such intricate things. I feel really proud of myself if I just knit a scarf with no embellishments or fancy stitches. I don’t know that I would have the patience or talent to do the kind of things you do. Sounds like your swimming is going really well. Even if you only do it a couple times a week it’s still building up the habit of going which is more than I’m doing, so I’m impressed.

I feel kind of crappy today, I haven’t felt quite up to par the past couple days and tonight I’m suddenly all stuffy and sneezing… ugh. I really hope it’s just allergies or something and not a full blown cold, but the fact my head is fuzzy and I’m SO tired makes me think it might be that I’m coming down with something. The boy had me up half the night too, there was a storm and he’s so petrified he just pants and trembles uncontrollably, even with the meds the vet gave me.

Anyway I think I still have some of the On the Mend Red Lentil Kale Soup in the freezer so I’m going to eat some of that and get to bed early.

Today was a total bust eating good ETL stuff, no GBOMBS in sight, starchy carbs (PB toast, pretzels, triscuits) and a vegan brownie a client brought me. I’ll eat the soup tonight to redeem myself a bit lol.
  • whats_her_name
    Thanks. :smiley: It takes longer to do cables or colorwork or whatever, but the little extra touches really make them super fancy. Worth it!! I just love the satisfaction that comes with making clothes with my own two hands. :blush:

I've been having an exhausing week. I'm really looking forward to parking my butt on the couch tonight and working on my dark green socks - these ones are lace:
    IMG_3367_medium2.JPG

I'm going back on the wagon on Monday. Gonna prep some food, make some homemade hummus, portion a bunch of veggies for my lunches, make some smoothies for my breakfasts and have everything ready for my week.

Gonna start getting up in the mornings again and get moving on the treadmill. Of course, I'm going to have to start with brisk walks again.

Hubby and I have talked about it and we're going to plan a trip to Vegas in about 10-13 weeks. So that's my dangling carrot...
  • Mihani
    edited October 2016
    The green socks look like they will be beautiful too Karrie. I'm totally with you on getting back to eating right, we can support each other! I've been on a roller coaster, good for a few days then starchy carb overload for a few days, and the end result is my pants are getting tight from all the bread, rice, pasta and pretzels. I stopped and got some more greens and veggies on the way home, and will get some prep work done this weekend too.

I don't appear to have a cold, must just be allergies and sinuses. The change in seasons seems to make them go crazy.

Going to post this picture as a good reminder of the ETL plan... funny they got the GBOMBS all out of whack on this though lol

yfuxilh5dkhw.jpg
    ETL.jpg 563.6K
  • Mihani
    This one is good too...

u2lnt07gpvuw.png
  • whats_her_name
    Good reminders!

I'm with you - let's support each other and get off our carbs!!
  • Mihani
    I sometimes forget Dr. F doesn't dictate vegan or even vegetarian. I think most of us in the group are though.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Hi Guys! My visitors are coming up the driveway, I can hear them! I just wanted to link to this quick in case there's something interesting to try. haven't read for how ETL friendly they are.
    Karrie, LOVE the socks!!!

http://holycowvegan.net/2016/10/belly-warming-vegan-stews.html

• Mihani
    Did a little prep over the weekend, and stocked up on lettuce and other greens. Made a pot of the french lentil stew. All set for a good day!

B - smoothie with hemp milk, chia seeds, loads of spinach, berries, half a banana
    L - steamed veggies with nooch, an apple
    D - french lentil stew, salad

All the GBOMBS accounted for except the mushrooms.
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited October 2016
    I haven't done great on GBOMBS the last few days. My SIL made a nice veggie curry over rice with peanut sauce and that was definitely the healthiest meal we've had. There are some leftovers of that so I think I'll have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Once they leave, I'm going to try a few of those vegan stews I linked. The Goan Feijoda is the only one I've looked at and it looks interesting. We've been having a few days of cold but sunny weather and stews are sounding really good.

Nice job on the prep work this past weekend, Mihani. Did your day go as planned?

• Mihani
    The stews look good, I will definitely be trying some of those Carla, especially with the cold weather coming.

Yesterday went well but still got into the pretzels. Today I am going to be more prepared with some baby carrots and grapes, if I decide I want something to snack on.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Yesterday was a food frenzy. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves though, and we're halfway through the visit. At least we are getting out for more walks while they are here. My SIL is a bird watcher and there are lots of birds in the area that she can't see in OH.

I'm going to take some time today to work on my encaustics. They don't want to stay molten on the hot plate in the cool weather, but with some lids on top I can get them to behave enough to get something done. I attempted some resin work, and although it cured okay, it got too gunky too quickly to get nice flow and patterns.

Keep up the good work Mihani, you are rocking it!
  • Mihani
    Woohoo! Made it through a day without any pretzels or other junky stuff. Sometimes I think it just takes one day and I'll be on a roll, so let's hope this was it.

Glad you are enjoying your visit with family Carla!

B - overnight oats (rolled oats, hemp milk, chia seeds, threw a few walnuts on top this morning)
    S - apple and some grapes
    L - steamer bag of broccoli and cauliflower with nooch
    D - salad (spring mix, chopped tomatoes, avocado dressing), leftover lentil stew

No berries or mushrooms, but the rest of the GBOMBS accounted for.

Recipe for avocado dressing: simplyscratch.com/2014/04/creamy-avocado-salad-dressing.html The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of olive oil, I used 1/2 a tablespoon and it was delicious. I think 3 tablespoons would have been too much.