The Grocery Battle... Meats

Options
collegefbfan
collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
Okay, so this WOE is great. But the wife and I are wondering in relation to groceries. We know that dark meat chicken with skin on is preferred, fatty cuts of red meat also, etc. Is it sort of a waste to buy other meats? Like, we end up buying pork chops. A 7 ounce pork chop's protein is almost triple its fat. We had lamb last night, and it was so good, but the same case arises. Fat and protein is about equal. So, should we just stick to ribeye, dark meat chicken with skin, and what are some other ideas?

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You don't have to only buy fatty meats! Just add fat to your meal. I buy a lot of chicken breasts and grilled chicken patties and I add other fats throughout the day - butter on veggies, full fat dressing on salads, heavy cream in my coffee and tea. Olive oil and bacon grease for cooking with. Continue eating pork chops if you like them :)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yeah I buy lean cuts from time to time and add fats to my meal. Or sometimes I have a day that I load up on fats earlier in the day and my protein seems low, then I don't add as much fat to my lean cuts at dinner.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    We still buy boneless skinless chicken breasts for their ease in cooking, but cook in oil and add fats to the dish. Same with lean fish and pork chops.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I eat all types of meat and raise pigs for the pork. Other white meat or not...love me some pork chops and ribs. Having boneless chops tonight as a matter of fact. Heck, we even eat venison in about every form you can think of to butcher it. Rowdy hunts and I love deer steaks, sausage (though we add pork fat to that), and roast. Anything "too low fat" can have a sauce or butter added to it to bring up your fat intake for satisfaction.
  • Happy2beeeme
    Happy2beeeme Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm lose..........so we need to eat fats too? How much?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

The linked calculator can help you figure out your macros for LCHF = Low Carb High Fat.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

If you are LCHF or Keto fats help keep you satisfied and keep you from having way too much protein. If you are CICO, then you may be in the wrong forum...
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I buy all different types of meat and my protein does tend to be on the high side but I do my best to get my fat in otherwise (BPC and fat bombs work wonders for that). I would go crazy if I limited myself to just certain kinds of meats.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    MMMMM.....pork. Sorry, I do love just about anything pork. I fry pork chops in butter and then pair with some fresh spinach. I pour the butter over the pork chop when I serve it and then I use any left on the plate as part of the "dressing for my spinach salad. Add full-fat blue cheese dressing to that, and I'm in pretty good shape.

Also, if you like pork, I have shared a pic of this on another thread, but bacon crusted ribs on the smoker are awesome. Since the bacon is only partially cooked when I put it on the ribs, the rest of the juices run down into the ribs to keep them super moist.

hqd0efnu49v3.jpg

Here is a link to how to make these. I use Stubbs BBQ sauce which is low carb. Walden Farms makes a no carb BBQ sauce that is also an option.

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/bacon-crusted-spareribs/
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I just fry everything in butter or bacon grease..sometimes both!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I just fry everything in butter or bacon grease..sometimes both!

Just had lunch...cooked it it olive oil and then put butter on top.

Double fat rules!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have fish at least once a week and it usually is not swimming in butter though it is nice to know I don't have to fear adding it. Tonight I'm having lean pork tenderloin and it also will not be swimming in butter/oil/cream sauce.

I do eat 75% of my calories in fat so today will be rather heavy on mascarpone cheese and plain old coconut oil (yes, I sometimes eat it plain, right off the spoon specifically for the fat). You can eat what you like the way you like it but have to make adjustments to have your macros where you want them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Most of the meat I buy is fatty to begin with. Even when it isn't, I don't add extra fat. Although, the most lean cuts of meat (boneless, skinless chicken breast) often also are eaten with other things like bacon or salad with dressing (or both).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I have fish at least once a week and it usually is not swimming in butter though it is nice to know I don't have to fear adding it. Tonight I'm having lean pork tenderloin and it also will not be swimming in butter/oil/cream sauce.

I do eat 75% of my calories in fat so today will be rather heavy on mascarpone cheese and plain old coconut oil (yes, I sometimes eat it plain, right off the spoon specifically for the fat). You can eat what you like the way you like it but have to make adjustments to have your macros where you want them.

Have you ever tried coconut manna or coconut butter it's sometimes labeled? Not the same as CO of course, it's basically puréed coconut meat but still has a good amount of oil in it too. So freakin good! Ive literally had a couple spoonfuls as a lunch on occasion when I'm in a rush or unprepared and not too hungry. Also load up a spoonful onto a dark chocolate square as a dessert when I want a sweet.
    I love coconut everything though. lol
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Have you ever tried coconut manna or coconut butter it's sometimes labeled? Not the same as CO of course, it's basically puréed coconut meat but still has a good amount of oil in it too. So freakin good! Ive literally had a couple spoonfuls as a lunch on occasion when I'm in a rush or unprepared and not too hungry. Also load up a spoonful onto a dark chocolate square as a dessert when I want a sweet.
    I love coconut everything though. lol

Oooohhhhh...I love coconut too!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this WOE is great. But the wife and I are wondering in relation to groceries. We know that dark meat chicken with skin on is preferred, fatty cuts of red meat also, etc. Is it sort of a waste to buy other meats? Like, we end up buying pork chops. A 7 ounce pork chop's protein is almost triple its fat. We had lamb last night, and it was so good, but the same case arises. Fat and protein is about equal. So, should we just stick to ribeye, dark meat chicken with skin, and what are some other ideas?

Are you sure you're comparing properly? Gram amounts being the same is fine, and will often happen. A gram of fat has more than twice the calories of a gram of protein. That means that lamb you had was about 70% fat by calories (10g fat = 90 calories, 10g protein = 40 calories; 90/130=.69), and the pork chops you had was about 43% fat (30g protein = 120 calories, 10 fat = 90 calories; 90/210=.43), both of which are pretty good. In fact, the pork chop entry was probably on the lean side, as it likely assumes you've trimmed the layer of fat off (and you better not have, that's the best part!).
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    MMMMM.....pork. Sorry, I do love just about anything pork. I fry pork chops in butter and then pair with some fresh spinach. I pour the butter over the pork chop when I serve it and then I use any left on the plate as part of the "dressing for my spinach salad. Add full-fat blue cheese dressing to that, and I'm in pretty good shape.

Also, if you like pork, I have shared a pic of this on another thread, but bacon crusted ribs on the smoker are awesome. Since the bacon is only partially cooked when I put it on the ribs, the rest of the juices run down into the ribs to keep them super moist.

hqd0efnu49v3.jpg

Here is a link to how to make these. I use Stubbs BBQ sauce which is low carb. Walden Farms makes a no carb BBQ sauce that is also an option.

Everything Walden Farms makes is inedible. My opinion. I've wasted every dollar I tried on them.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

hqd0efnu49v3.jpg

Everything Walden Farms makes is inedible. My opinion. I've wasted every dollar I tried on them.

Thanks for the heads up on Walden Farms. I will stick with my Stubbs as it is low enough and it tastes great. Besides, I don't use much. If you cook the meat right, you shouldn't need to add much.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    One new favorite around here: pork chops smothered with mayonnaise. I didn't believe it myself until I tried it; it's as delicious as it is easy. You actually want lean (and thin) pork chops or the fatty taste is just too much. I generally leave off the cheese and double the mayonnaise.

http://avocadopesto.com/2011/03/29/baked-pork-chops
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    One new favorite around here: pork chops smothered with mayonnaise. I didn't believe it myself until I tried it; it's as delicious as it is easy. You actually want lean (and thin) pork chops or the fatty taste is just too much. I generally leave off the cheese and double the mayonnaise.

http://avocadopesto.com/2011/03/29/baked-pork-chops

I made a similar recipe with chicken and parmesan cheese last night! It's so good, I tell everyone to try it lol. I took pictures but the MFP Android app won't let me post any. http://lilluna.com/creamy-swiss-chicken-bake/