Low carb

Options
annobrien96
annobrien96 Posts: 21 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Just wondering does anyone do low carb without eating a load of fat I like the idea of low carb but not the cream in coffee or frying everything in butter part

Replies

• ravensdiet15
    ravensdiet15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm not concentrating on the extra fat at the moment. I'm not sure if/when that will change. Kinda doing my own version of Atkins with great success. Down 14lbs in 16 days!!
  • annobrien96
    Options
    Thanks that's way I'm doing it like that
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Just wondering does anyone do low carb without eating a load of fat I like the idea of low carb but not the cream in coffee or frying everything in butter part

Are you trying to lose weight ? That would make a big difference in whether you need to use dietary fat for make-up calories - if you're in weight-loss mode, your body will be just as happy to snack from your pantry (the fat in your belly and elsewhere....) as to go out to dinner!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I do High protein, lower fat and lower carbs:
    ~ 45P / 35F / 20C
    I do leaner meats and eat fat-free or low-fat dairy (Greek yogurt/cottage cheese).
    And veggies.

It's been a month and I'm really liking the results.
    - I've lost almost 9# (I'm pretty much at goal weight, so the weight is not dropping quickly)
    - I have no cravings (I went to Panera yesterday for my free bagel and earned a free dessert: got them for my family and didn't even have a bite)
    - my body fat is reducing
    - I am not bloated

I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if high protein is right for you.
    I'm following the Dukan Diet.

Amanda
  • annobrien96
    Options
    Thank you I'm trying to loose weight will try doing it my own weight
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Basically, in order to lose weight we need to eat less often and control hunger.
    This is where adding fat to meals can help. But, ideally, you'd just be eating foods already high in fat like dark meat poultry or fatty cuts of beef. Since so many people continue eating lean meats, adding fat to prevent the need for between meal snacks becomes necessary. Especially for a diabetic, which very many people are, especially in this group. A T2D will have an increased demand of glucose creation by GNG (gluconeogenesis) due to high insulin levels and will have to keep protein low in order to make progress toward reversing insulin resistance.
    1 in 3 people are insulin resistant, with 90% of them unaware, so odds are often that it's better to eat high fat than high protein. Each meal is a matter of a basic ratio... if you're eating lean meat, there's no option but to add something with fat to adjust the ratio. Unless they eat less protein and let the body use it's own fat and get the ratio right that way.
    But, Dukan is definitely an option. Maybe not for anyone with kidney issues or diabetes though.

I don't have any of those health issues but would get hungry between meals if I didn't cook in butter or add cheese or whatever to lean meats. I even tend to eat a carnivore diet and still don't eat any more meat than most people.
  • annobrien96
    Options
    Thanks looked at dukan but its not for me so going to stick with mfp and cutting carbs
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You need some fat! Or your hormones suffer and you'll be hungrier. You don't have to pile on the fat, but I've seen posted many times here and in other communities that fear of fat makes the LCHF go from "diet" to "way of eating". In other words it's more sustainable longterm.

The amount of fat regulates the energy deficit. So the more agressive fat loss you want, the less fat you eat. You wanna burn STORED fat, within reason. Protein is not an energy the body can store (and the insulin response is half compared to carbs). The balance is to eat enough fat to not be too hungry, but not so much fat that you're in an energy surplus.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My macros are 75% fat 20% protein 5% carbs so I can't really relate, but can offer you some suggestions if you're interested. You don't have to have cream in your coffee if you don't want it. Some people make "fat bombs" which are like candy bars or treats they keep in the freezer to fill in their macros. I see a lot of Reese flavored ones with peanut butter and chocolate, and cheesecake ones. Just google fat bombs and you'll see lots.

Fat is not bad. Your brain runs on fat so you need to make sure you're getting enough in your day or you'll feel slow/groggy/sleepy or you'll be really hungry. Even if you don't have the same macros as me, just make sure you're getting enough that you feel full.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, but 2 things:
    1. Keep in mind that there is a limit to protein. If you are eating low carb and low fat, you may be eating so much protein that your kidneys are strained too much. For example, if you are eating 25g carbs and 50g fat on an 1,800 calorie diet; then you need to eat more than 300g protein to get to 1,800 calories. Doing that every day for a long time will strain your kidneys.
    2. American society has demonized fat for so long that it is tough to get used to the fact that dietary fat is not inherently bad. In fact, for many Americans, the prolonged energy from fat is much more appropriate than the burst of energy from carbs.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Fat is not bad. Your brain runs on fat so you need to make sure you're getting enough in your day or you'll feel slow/groggy/sleepy or you'll be really hungry.

Actually @Sarahb29 ...our brains run on ketones, not fat.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

Black coffee for me thank you.
    When I first started VLC I ate quite a bit
    more fat than I do now.
    My 20g carbs & 90g protein are still the same
    but as my calories came down I reduced my grams of fat.

>:) or o:)

• annobrien96
    Options
    Thank you everyone but don't think low carb is for me going to just watch calories and not carbs
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Everyone does it differently. I seem to need more veggies than some here. I do high fibre, moderate carbs, moderate fats. This is working for me. I also keep my eye on the calories.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Fat is not bad. Your brain runs on fat so you need to make sure you're getting enough in your day or you'll feel slow/groggy/sleepy or you'll be really hungry.

Actually @Sarahb29 ...our brains run on ketones, not fat.

Woops! I should have said, our brain is made up of mostly fat and therefore runs *best* with eating more fat and using ketones vs eating more carbohydrates and running off glucose.

http://greatist.com/eat/healthy-fats-best-foods-for-brain-health