Fasted Exercise - Energy Boost Needed and Stomach Pain?

Options
bowlerae
bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
Now that I'm interspersing days of IF during my week by skipping breakfast on some days, it's much easier for my to get fasted exercise in. However, the few times I tried it...

1.) I really had no energy to push myself through a circuit that would normally be my warmup!

2.) Certain activities like running, jumping jacks, jump rope. or anything where I'm bouncing or stepping really hard makes my stomach feel uncomfortable, almost painful. It's a huge distraction and I can't focus.

So my questions are

1.) Does anyone else experience that sort of stomach discomfort when working out fasted?

2.) Is there a calorie-free energy booster that I could take beforehand? I've heard some people talk about coffee but I can't do coffee black and if I add HWC and sweetener, doesn't that essentially kick me out of IF? Would I have the same effect of fasted exercise if I drank a BPC beforehand?

3.) I have Cellucor C-4 pre-workout that I haven't taken since eating LCHF. It has only 1g of carbs and contains Sucralose. Has anyone ever taken this on an empty stomach? Do you think this would have any adverse affects?

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You need salt and maybe some magnesium. However...adapting to fasted training is much the same as adapting to keto. About 2-3 weeks of suckup while performance is lower. THEN when you're making your body become even better at fat burning...the more you do it the better you become at it. Frankly my experience is that I can do much more anaerobic work now than ever before. Which contradicts many of the experts on different podcasts :o BUT I have been doing LCHF, not keto. The trick is to balance carbs around workouts...not too much though. Find the balance between staying keto adapted while boosting your training as needed. YMMV. Nutrient density FTW.

Edit: replaced "during" with around workouts. Forgot to post the link to a good discussion we had on lowcarb AND exercise on fat burning benefit:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10338195/want-to-be-a-fat-burner-exercise/p1
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I definitely had to struggle through workouts for the first couple weeks, but after that I find my performance improved by leaps and bounds - which seems crazy, but it is what it is.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I always have BPC in the mornings and still consider it fasting. I don't add sweeteners or cream. Just mct oil and rarely butter.
    I specially buy a C8 mct oil for its fast energy. There's your energy booster. Since it's pretty much gobbled right up by the brain, the calories won't really matter.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    There is definitely an adjustment period just like starting LCHF. I am normally keto, but I knocked myself out of keto on Sunday and my Monday morning workout sucked (low energy, forcing myself thru it, etc). This morning, having gotten back to keto, I had an incredible workout with energy to spare.

Guess I'm just saying - give yourself a break and time to adjust, it will will pick up!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sounds like it's just a matter of pushing myself through it!