Okay, So Not Everyone is a Fan of Artificial Sweeteners, But ....

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Heh heh - canasta hand of coupons! Priceless, @mandycat223 ... Thanks for reminding me of my grandparents teaching us kids to play!!!
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Depending on your individual reaction, you might find a mixture of friends and foes in the sugar-free world.

Some of those rascals have turned my merry intestines into a geyser. For example, some sugar alcohols, like sorbitol, or 1 nanogram too much Xylitol..... :s
    (Erythritol, on the other hand, straight or blended with Stevia, doesn't seem to ignite fireworks...so far.)

Some sweeteners are said to increase insulin resistance, stimulate appetite, and/or raise blood glucose levels (like Aspartame...)
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/09/artificial-sweeteners-worse-than-sugar.aspx

Erythritol and stevia are safe choices, and good tasting in small quantities.

Monin's lineup of sugar-free syrups includes hazelnut, vanilla, and almond, all sweetened with Erythritol. Just add good coffee and the highest % heavy cream you can find, and you're all set.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Depending on your individual reaction, you might find a mixture of friends and foes in the sugar-free world.

Some of those rascals have turned my merry intestines into a geyser. For example, some sugar alcohols, like sorbitol, or 1 nanogram too much Xylitol..... :s
    (Erythritol, on the other hand, straight or blended with Stevia, doesn't seem to ignite fireworks...so far.)

Some sweeteners are said to increase insulin resistance, stimulate appetite, and/or raise blood glucose levels (like Aspartame...)
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/09/artificial-sweeteners-worse-than-sugar.aspx

Monin's lineup of sugar-free syrups includes hazelnut, vanilla, and almond, all sweetened with Erythritol. Just add good coffee and the highest % heavy cream you can find, and you're all set.

Bite your tongue, erythritol!!!! Erythritol does the same thing to me that every single alcohol does. Spatter butt. Not cool.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    In my case I try to stay away from man made chemicals/processed foods due to my arthritis. I know that is not the case for most people however.

Now that my leaky gut seems to be resolved for going on two years I do not want to start eating in a way that would start it to leaking again and turn be back into a splatter butt like I was for 40 years.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Bite your tongue, erythritol!!!! Erythritol does the same thing to me that every single alcohol does. Spatter butt. Not cool.
    In my case I try to stay away from man made chemicals/processed foods due to my arthritis. I know that is not the case for most people however.

Now that my leaky gut seems to be resolved for going on two years I do not want to start eating in a way that would start it to leaking again and turn be back into a splatter butt like I was for 40 years.

Uh, let me apologize for failing to grasp the obvious fact that "erythritol" has "toilet" in it (whereas "stevia" sports such lapdogs as "eat" and "save it"). Sheesh, what was I thinking!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    No judgement on the artificial sweeteners, stevia sometimes makes its way into my life in small quantities with no problems.

One of my favourite sweet treats is a chocolate coconut mocha. I heat up a 2 tbsps of coconut cream and 1 tbsp double cream with 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder and pour that into some really strong coffee. It's probably the closest I ever get to a BPC. But the coconut cream really sweetens it, so no extra sweetener is needed.

And especially in the winter, I love to steep my teas and coffee with various mixtures of orange peel, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cacao nibs, peppers, rose petals, cardamom, cloves... I could go on and on lol. But it's really fun to whip up your own chai teas (or coffee) or Christmassy and dessert flavours.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland - you mean a chocococomocha! Nummy!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My tummy is fine with Equal, Splenda, Stevia and a great new "whole earth" blend ....have food allergies that are severe but guess what, the liquid Dark Chocolate Stevia from "Stevia Select" or from "Now" all are fine in my system.

The best part is the choice, can drink diet ginger-ale, sweetener in hot tea, iced tea, decaf or Reg coffee.

When I read here that so many ppl can't tolerate them, it's clearly different body chemistry/physiology ....my NEVERS are Nuts, Coconut, Mushrooms, Onions....also lactose intolerant.

Just started using any of this in 1/2016 and so happy I can have a bit of sweetness in my life and remain KETO.
    1imfgid3a5qc.jpg
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    Thanks for posting list, just ordered the "decaf mocha java" from Amazon, expecting it to be as good as those hot fudge sundaes I ate in a different life.
  • Perry47
    Perry47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use the liquid Aprivia brand (Kroger). Sweeter than the packets and zero carb. Delicious in coffee with heavy whipping cream. I drink this as a sweet treat, when I've had enough black coffee and want a change.