One Step at a Time

Options
HisangelG
HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
Hi, I'm angel.

I'm mobility impaired, using a wheelchair whenever I am out of the apartment, but walking inside the apartment. I started at 375 pounds about 2 years ago, but was too sick to keep trying to lose weight, plus I didn't realize I was eating WAY TOO FEW of calories...I was eating 1,400 calories at my weight! I did a lot of research on TDEE/BMR/Body Fat, plus Fitness for the Mobility Impaired. 63 days ago, I came back to MFP ready to start again. I was encouraged because in the last year of eating everything wrong, being sick, I lost weight anyway. I weighed 350 on July 31. So, I decided when I got to Toronto to be with my husband for the next 5 months, that I wanted to start Eat Better:Move More:Get Healthy.

So starting weight was: 350.
I'm now 340 and know I'm losing weight, even without a scale. I can tell because all the clothes that were horribly tight are now fitting quite loosely. (I probably lost more than 10 pounds, but I'll explain that in a second.)

Since I don't have a scale until I get back to the States, and see my Doctor again, I'm using the TDEE equation as if I've been losing 5 pounds every 2 weeks. My next time to adjust calories will be on October 11. I'll adjust down as if I know I weigh 335. This is how I'll do until I get back in February.

My long term goal is to get to 140. I'm going to be 51 in 2 weeks, so I know this is a realistic goal to maintain. My short term goal is reaching 300 pounds by Dec. 31, 2016. I may even be able to get lower than that, but I want to do it slow and healthy. Rather than eating a specific number of calories a day, I figured out the minimum I can safely eat for my weight/activity and still lose 1.5 pounds a week. Because I started out so heavy, I know I'm losing faster than that, because I went from essentially bed-ridden to walking 500 steps a day now...and slowly increasing that. I don't have an end date for my final goal, only choosing end dates for the short term goals, and making sure they are realistic. When I get back to the Doctor, I'm going to see if she thinks going for 50 pounds in 6 months is reasonable. As I lose weight, I'll actually adjust the amount to lose down so that when I'm 250 I'll work on losing 15 pounds in 3 months (30 in 6 months).

I have resistance bands in the States, and 4lb free weights along with a stability ball to start using when I get back so I can do strength training. My husband will buy me some more weights to use, probably ankle/wrist weights to help with the strength training. I want to do this right. I want it to last.

I am not on a diet, nor do I exercise. I am eating Nutritionally, and engaging in Fitness. (A lifestyle change)
Just changing the words has changed my outlook on how I see it this time. I'm doing it for life, not for a season.

I'm going to do this One Step at a Time...hence the thread name.