What sort of treats do you give out for Halloween?

Options
bowlerae
bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
I'm not a super festive person. I'll be at home for Halloween but I'm not sure if I'm going to be giving out treats. I'll probably turn off all the lights, pretend no ones home, meanwhile I'm upstairs watching movies or playing games.

Anyways, what sort of treats do you all give out for Halloween? I feel after learning so much about sugar and carbs that I don't know how I could bring myself to give out the traditional candy. But then again, I don't want to be "that house" that gives them apples and protein bars!

Do you all impose your LCHF ways onto unsuspecting kiddies?

Replies

• ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Glow bracelets, pencils or play doh
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I still give out regular candy but I tend to be stingy and only give a couple pieces per kid. Lol
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    We've always been a lights out, hiding in the dark house too lol. Though I live out in the country now, so I don't have to worry about trick or treaters this year, though it doesn't really seem to be a thing in Scotland anyway.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ZRx4 wrote: »
    Glow bracelets, pencils or play doh

This is a really nice idea, think I might stock up on some of this kind of stuff - especially the glow bracelets. If the kids put them straight on it'll make them more visible and theres an awful lot of traffic where we live.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    And you can get bulk trinkets and such from places like oriental trading post online too! My daughter always gets excited about pencils and erasers. She's also the kind of kid who will still have a full bag crap from the previous year in her closet!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    One year I handed out what I thought would be a (relatively) healthy treat that I found at Sam's Club: a low sugar fruit concoction. Apparently none of the little darlings remembered where they got those things or they would have returned one and all to egg our house. I sampled one the next day and it was absolutely vile, more like a Slimy Bear than a Gummi Bear. Bleah!!!

I'll keep in mind the non-candy treats suggested above. If nothing else it will be a good joke to give pencils, erasers and glow bracelets to those trick or treaters who look old enough to have little kids of their own.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Since the year we had to make 4 "back up" trips to Walmart for more candy (we moved to one of the highest traffic areas in town), we've been the folks who were too broke to worry about it, did something for my kiddo and her friends (her birthday is 2 weeks before Halloween), and arranged either not to be home or to hide out with the lights out.

Since they start locally when school is out (3:30 - 4:30 pm), even if it's just a small portion of them, it gets a little silly and harder to hide in daylight...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    In my town everyone drives their kids to one or two of the more upscale neighborhoods so we usually just get a few treat or treaters. Some years I forget to buy candy and don't turn the lights on. Others I give a few snack size candy bars. I took my daughter to the nice neighborhood one year and it was the least candy she ever got. Since all the regular neighborhoods are practically deserted you really get hooked up on candy...IDK why the other parents never figured that out.

I mean not that you should want big bags of candy but kids do...lol
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment complex, most kids go to the richie rich areas for Halloween candy. If they do come by though my hubby has piles of halloween candy he bought for himself which I'll give out. I wouldn't impose a diet on kids for one day a year though, that's on the parents to portion it out sparingly. Some parents give out halloween pencils, hair ties, erasers, glow sticks, toothbrushes, crayons, play doh and balloons. They used to do candy apples when I was growing up but with people finding razors and crap in food it's highly discouraged now.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to give out the candy that I get for free from Superstore for buying over $200 in groceries. ;)

I also re-give out my boys' candy. We are all gluten free, and one son has a tree nut allergy, so we instituted a rule of keeping just 10 safe candies, after eating a bunch on Halloween. They also get a $10-15 small toy/treat - often LEGO or Magic cards. The 10 they keep are usually the biggest and ones that come in bundles/bags. It sounds a bit harsh, but they can't eat 75% of the candy they get so trading it in for a toy makes it easier.

I let them keep any non-foods toys they get.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I tend to give out the candy that I get for free from Superstore for buying over $200 in groceries. ;)

I also re-give out my boys' candy. We are all gluten free, and one son has a tree nut allergy, so we instituted a rule of keeping just 10 safe candies, after eating a bunch on Halloween. They also get a $10-15 small toy/treat - often LEGO or Magic cards. The 10 they keep are usually the biggest and ones that come in bundles/bags. It sounds a bit harsh, but they can't eat 75% of the candy they get so trading it in for a toy makes it easier.

That doesn't sound harsh at all. I would totally had rather had a toy than piles of candy as a kid! :)

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    We usually make treat bags with 2 or 3 pieces of candy in each bag (I am currently the only low-carber in the house). Last year, we gave out 120 of the bags (lots of little goblins in our neighborhood) and the year before, we ran out of the treat bags and started giving out candy from my daughter's candy stash! :D
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think that's a fair trade off! I might do the same actually when my daughter gets old enough, I don't like giving her a lot of candy. We're using marshmallows as a reward for potty training right now and that's bad enough, lol.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We haven't had trick or treaters in years at our house, so we've just turned off the lights. But...we just moved and there are a ton of kids in our new hood and an elementary school nearby.

I'm going to Costco to get a giant bag of candy - it's going to be a huge temptation. I'm also gluten free so I try to choose candy that I can't eat otherwise I'll really be sorry.

In the long ago past, when I've had enough of trick or treaters, I've left the whole bowl outside with a note and some lucky kids get to grab it all. If we have a lot of left overs this year, I plan on bringing them to an potluck event I have to attend the following weekend.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We have never had anyone here on the island but when I lived on the mainland I used to give out Reese's Peanut Butter Cups so that after Halloween was over I could eat something I liked. (That particular avenue of pleasure is now closed) One year I gave out Halloween Pencils. I am still using them 30 years later. If anyone would ever wander up our hill and up our driveway here they would probably get a can of Diet Coke or one of the Atkins Bars that I don't like.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    In our area, there's a lot of space between the houses and parents get tired of driving their kids to each home, lol. That means the trailer parks in town get hit hard with trick or treaters. Both the big malls and the downtown businesses do a treat trail and each business designates a dressed up staff member to dish out treats for kids in costume. The actual streets are closed off to traffic as hundreds of children (plus their parents - also in costume) roam from store to store between 3 pm and 5:30 pm. They range from babies who can barely walk to teenagers almost old enough to drive. I tend to avoid any shopping or banking, etc at that time :#
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Ha that reminds me of the year a neighbor unexpectedly brought his grandson over trick or treating. I told them they had their choice of an apple or a pork chop. True story.

That happened to us and the kid got an ice cream sandwich lol