How do you divide your calories?

Options
sondrawolfe
sondrawolfe Posts: 30 Member
I've only been eating LCHF for a couple of weeks, but looking at doing IF because that is more natural for me. I don't enjoy eating breakfast and usually am not hungry until at least 10am.

My calories are set at 1750 right now. MFP recommended 1950 but I was having trouble eating that many calories on this plan because I wasn't hungry. I have about 100 lbs to lose so dropping 200 calories won't hurt and most days I can't even get to that.

My question regarding IF is how do you divide up your calories? From what I've read you should eat a smaller lunch and a large dinner. I'm not sure I'll be able to eat all my calories in a short window of time because I'm already struggling.

Also, I need my caffeine in the morning if I want to function, so I made a latte with unsweetened almond milk for 44 Calories (1 P, 1 NC, 3F) I don't think it should boost insulin so I think it's ok for IF. Am I right that I don't count that in my feeding window and only count from first meal?

TIA for any information.

Replies

• Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have water and coffee with sugar free creamer in the morning. I usually end up eating a fairly decent size portion for lunch at 12 and then eat a big dinner when I get home around 5:30. Sometimes I have a snack right before my window of eating closes at 8 p.m. Most people choose higher fat things like heavy cream and real butter to help up the calories if need be. Almonds and other nuts are a good source of protein but can help with additional calories if needed.
  • sondrawolfe
    Options
    So would you say 1/3 calories for lunch and the other 2/3 for dinner and a snack? For me, that would be about 570 for lunch, 850 for dinner, and 280 for a snack.
  • sondrawolfe
    Options
    Today went well, I think. I had my first meal at 3:00, had a coffee with butter and cream mid afternoon, and finished dinner at 8:30. I'll see how I feel in the morning, but planning on doing 18:6 tomorrow with an iced latte in the morning.

I looked at my history and the past four days, I've been between 1400 and 1500 every day and I'm losing steadily. I changed my calorie goal to 1500 which seems more manageable.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    As long as you're doing the IF then your metabolism shouldn't slow down if you're reducing your caloric intake too much. Should just stay revved up. :smile:
  • sondrawolfe
    Options
    Thank you. 1500 seems to be just about perfect for me on this. If I have days I'm just not as hungry, I won't stress about it.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How long do you fast? I don't think it is that important how you divide the meals as long as it fit your life style.
    I am like you not a breakfast person, so I do 16:8. I eat a light breakfast(200) after finish with all the morning emails, around 10-11 then coffee and morning snacks(400), I ate lunch late lunch 1-2 pm(300), then dinner around 5pm (400-500) before I go home. If was busy at work, then I would ate more snacks in the morning, then eat lunch and dinner together later in the day like 3pm, so fast for 18-20 hours sometimes.
  • Miss_Missy_Bee
    Miss_Missy_Bee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’ve been practicing IF since early May and I’m now on the Warrior schedule/OMAD. My entire journey from 16:8 to now had been amazing, and I’ve reaped the benefited with losing weight and inches.

It’s hard to count calories as not all calories can be calculated equally and tenor all calories are metabolized the same way.,

Just listen to your body.
  • bentanner25
    bentanner25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience, I would recommend not worrying too much about calories, and mainly just eat to satiety.

However, it may be better to kind of front load your calories a little bit, just so it's easier to finish digesting your food before bedtime.