This one's for the hoarders

Options
Abm4n
Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
Recently I've been a reading about hoarding behaviour. At what point in our lives did we become a nation of hoarders? I have also just read a book about the link between hoarding behaviour and being over weight. I have also started de-cluttering my house.

There is a definite link between our tendency to hoard things and our need to over-eat. I threw out some things. I am hoping that it will help me to lose weight! I can see the connection. Anyone else lose weight after they threw stuff out?

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm the opposite of a hoarder, I toss everything because I hate clutter, and I've struggled with my weight my whole life. My mom and husband are both hoarders, but neither of them have notable weight issues. So it doesn't apply in my circle. But I can understand how the two could potentially have a correlation.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I watch the show when I slow down on cleaning out the "stashes." I try to make at least one big trip to the goodwill a month. It's also been motivating to do a monthly closet cleaning to get rid of baggy clothes. Started this all a year ago and I have lost weight too!
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love clean clear spaces and I am for ever decluttering and streamlining - what drives me to overeat though is my partner - he is a hoarder because of his many hobbies - the worst one is his wargaming - there are little soldiers in all our rooms.
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @Abm4n What's the book title? I'm always struggling with my spouse's hoarding, especially because he keeps proving his response that the scrap of wire, wood, paper, etc., will solve a problem one day :) I do, though, keep him away from collector-type RPGs. Good luck with your decluttering!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Bubba1922 wrote: »
    I love clean clear spaces and I am for ever decluttering and streamlining - what drives me to overeat though is my partner - he is a hoarder because of his many hobbies - the worst one is his wargaming - there are little soldiers in all our rooms.

Yes!!! I struggle with my husband's hoarding too, though I wouldn't say it contributes to my food problems. When we lived in America, I got him a 10x20 storage unit for his hoarding, to keep it out of the house. I was horrified when we were preparing to move to Scotland when I found it so full of junk you couldn't even safely open the door. We sold, gave away and threw away everything we owned, except for 10 small boxes of stuff and 4 gigantic suitcases of clothes and bits and bobs that came with us on the plane. It was really hard for him. He had a bag of rocks he wanted to keep! Well, he's gathered some new rocks here now, so I think he finally forgives me for throwing his rocks away. This is a man who literally packed a bag of garbage in a box during a previous move because he though that something important might have been in the bag. And by garbage, I had mean things I deemed unworthy to pack.

We have a 3 bedroom house here so that in addition to my office, he gets a junk room so that I can't see his crap. I refuse to even open the door and he's required to keep it closed, otherwise it drives me batty to see all the junk he finds. The junk is simply not allowed to leave his room.

Can your husband not contain his war games to one room or the garage? Maybe it's time your army invaded and captured his soldiers lol :smile: I feel for ya so much!!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    46hg320b1r5t.png

AMEN to that. :wink:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Recently I've been a reading about hoarding behaviour. At what point in our lives did we become a nation of hoarders? I have also just read a book about the link between hoarding behaviour and being over weight. I have also started de-cluttering my house.

There is a definite link between our tendency to hoard things and our need to over-eat. I threw out some things. I am hoping that it will help me to lose weight! I can see the connection. Anyone else lose weight after they threw stuff out?

I agree with your thought....mainly because the clutter made me depressed looking at it....knowing I needed to start somewhere, but feeling overwhelmed and deciding to go eat a snack..... But that was before LCHF journey....now I have no need to snack...but I still find it hard to part with my clutter...Arts & crafts, Books , Magazines, Stuff! A work in progress!
    I am glad you are finding it a bonus to declutter. It gives me hope that I can get there!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jmd543 wrote: »
    @Abm4n What's the book title? I'm always struggling with my spouse's hoarding, especially because he keeps proving his response that the scrap of wire, wood, paper, etc., will solve a problem one day :) I do, though, keep him away from collector-type RPGs. Good luck with your decluttering!

I'd like to know the title too.

I loved Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Great read. I used her ideas on my pantry and freezer. Awesome. It was easier to prepare food without digging past the junk. I didn't lose weight from it, but it was mentally satisfying.

I hoard a bit.... Average? My husband and kids have a lot of stuff though. I could easily move to a smaller house but getting their stuff into something smaller would be a problem.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm the opposite of a hoarder, I toss everything because I hate clutter, and I've struggled with my weight my whole life. My mom and husband are both hoarders, but neither of them have notable weight issues. So it doesn't apply in my circle. But I can understand how the two could potentially have a correlation.

Me. I hate clutter and if I forget I have it or don't use it out it goes. My children pack rat everything
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love to simplify. However my parents are awful hoarders. And both slim energetic ppl (even in their 70s).

My exception: books. I'd love to have a small room to turn into a library. <3

I LOVE that picture, KetoGirl!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was never a hoarder and have always enjoyed lack of clutter. That said, one thing in @elize7's post (just the word "extra") brought to mind is: I always had to have my "back up" regarding food. Open a jar of something I used often, buy another. "1 and a back up" was my mode. I never got too low on anything and I was definitely never without.

Losing weight did not seem to cause the change. I've noticed the behavior change in just the last few months eating keto. I don't think about food as much. No eggs? Eat cheese. No cheese? Eat meat. I do keep coconut oil and mascarpone cheese on hand for fat but don't really consider getting another jar/container until they are close to empty.

• coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am an art supply hoarder. :D One can never have too much!

But, I am not sentimental about stuff. We just moved and I love purging things that have accumulated over time!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @kpk54 , one and a back up was my mum and I have picked it up too. Although, I now only apply it to things like mustard or mayo, not to everything. She was feeding a family of 6; we are a family of 2. I realized some time ago that I could put it on the list when it was getting empty not when I just opened it.

We went to Costco today (rejoined). Things are just too big there and I feel as if I am hoarding TP, PT, kleenex, napkins, dish soap etc. now. You can spend a lot there and then have to go shopping. We went back because it is so much easier to go the basement for more TP, than head out to the store. However, we have to head to the store for food anyway so that doesn't make sense! I think I just fell for it again. Is it really cheaper to by a 2 year supply of garbage bags? Do I really feel better knowing that I won't run out of napkins for a year? There is some ease to it though.