New to strength training.

Options
traceyjj
traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
For the past few weeks I have been seeing a trainer at the gym to show me the ropes with lifiting. The first couple of weeks we were in the smaller weight area of the gym, using the kettlebells for deadlifts, rows and presses, but now he's moved me over to the main weights area... Damn I feel like I am invading the boys room, even tho the trainer makes me work hard, I dont feel comfortable enough to go over there on my non-PT days yet... Anyway, I digress! For my deadlifts he has me using some sort of octagonal bar where i stand in the middle to lift. (I think its a trap bar) Are there any advantages or disadvantages of using this piece of equipment for lifting?
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have only ever used the machines before I started with the trainer!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont know, but why dont you ask your PT?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    It's specially made for deadlifting. It helps provide a more natural movement while doing the lift.... Most gyms don't have these types of bars so most people just use a regular barbell. I wouldn't think that there would be any disadvantages considering that it's designed for deadlifting. You'll just have to "re-learn" how to deadlift correctly if you start going to a gym without that type of bar.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    i dont know, but why dont you ask your PT?
    Thanks for your reply. I only see the trainer once each week... its all I can afford :(
    I will ask him when I see him next.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    It's specially made for deadlifting. It helps provide a more natural movement while doing the lift.... Most gyms don't have these types of bars so most people just use a regular barbell. I wouldn't think that there would be any disadvantages considering that it's designed for deadlifting. You'll just have to "re-learn" how to deadlift correctly if you start going to a gym without that type of bar.
    Thanks for your reply. I wasnt aware that piece of equipment was designed for deadlifts. The only other person I have seen use it is a man who walks with it "loaded" across the width of the gym.
    Again, thanks for your time.

T :)