Unsure about surgery?

Options
Mandy_1982
Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
This is month five, out of six, for my required pre-op program.

As my surgery month is getting closer, I am feeling more unsure.

Can you tell me how you felt in the weeks before your surgery? How about the first weeks after? Were you scared and unsure?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is very common and I think most people who have had surgery went through the same thing!

The weeks leading up to the surgery, I was a nervous wreck even though I was sure about my decisions. I think when you are doing something permanent and life changing, it's natural to be nervous or question your choice. It can be scary. Right after surgery, I had a few occasions where I thought, what did I just do??? As time went on and I healed and I adjusted, the doubts left my head and never returned. Yesterday was my 3 year surgiversary. Deciding to have the surgery was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel amazing, I am healthy, I am happy, I am having fun, I have my life back. I have zero regrets. Trust your gut and your heart, and know that nerves are normal.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hey! Right before I was a basket case. I started doubting every decision I was making. I started thinking I could do it without surgery. I couldn't. Deep inside I knew I couldn't. I knew I'd have temporary success followed by regain and then some. I stuck with it. I knew I needed something different, more drastic, something ultimately life-changing. The sleeve was what I needed.

The first few weeks were fine. Only a few times did I waiver and think I made a mistake, and it was linked more to the current food phase I was in and the brain games wanting crunch and having no options. Besides that, I had absolutely no regrets. None. Well, one...why did I wait SO LONG?
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 4/18/16. Prior to surgery I lost 37 lbs by following the medically supervised diet. Figured I had more success that way and wondered if it is worth it. I had one to support group and heard several people say how it was their 3rd and 4th time through the process because they too thought they can do it on their own. I decided I wasted too much time already and was going to go through with it.

After surgery, when I would get sick or. It be able to tolerate much of anything or barely anything I thought I made a mistake. I am now 68 lbs down from where I started and my only regret is not doing this sooner. I feel so much better on so many levels. I still have the occasional day where I eat like crap and I pay the price but I feel horrible so I get back on the "horse" and get back on track..in the long run, my health and well-being is far improved and I don't want to think where I would be if I didn't go through with it.

You will be fine after surgery, and there are a lot of people on these boards who are here to help support you! Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with the decision to have surgery because despite all evidence to the contrary, I thought I could do it on my own. For me, I felt the surgery was "cheating", giving up, and taking the easy way out. My husband had VGS about 6 months before I did. He wanted this to be something that we did together, and really pushed for me to have it at the same time. I asked for 6 months to try on my own, but would go through all the steps that needed done prior to having surgery during that time. I ended up losing 10lbs while following the requirements, and when the time came to set a date, I went ahead and did it, the whole while feeling like I had failed myself. I went in to it with the whole attitude of "whatever, just get it over with".

I have to say, though, that it was literally the best thing I've ever done. I no longer see it as the easy way out for myself, because it's still work. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I'm much happier, healthier, and less satisfied sitting at home watching tv. :D
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also used to think that surgery was the easy way out -- that is until going through the preparation for it. One of the hardest thing I have done was go through the pre-op process, and the post op is also tough. Having to re-learn my body has been tough, but the best decision I ever made and I will reap the benefits for the long term so it is more than worth it!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    For me, the pre-op classes that I took through my surgical center really helped me decide. I had lost 100ish pounds on my own, but that had taken 2 years of constant yo-yoing. I did a lot of research and chose the center closest to me that had the most comprehensive support system. Every week there are different classes for pre-op and post-op. Classes on cooking demos, grocery store field trips, exercise, nutrition, mental health/mindfulness, and more are available for the rest of my life. I realized that the program was going to be instrumental for helping me stay on track.

I also realized that for my issues, having a physical limitation on my intake was going to be a huge help. I was a binger, sometimes a purger. Going to support classes, as well as therapy has helped me address those issues, while the physical restraint of "tiny tummy" kept me from going crazy. I really had hoped for the Dumping Syndrome to keep me from indulging in too much sugar. I didn't develop D.S. so I had to make that change mentally.

15 months out, and I wish I had done it 15 years earlier.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mandy_1982, what you are feeling is perfectly normal. I've tried for years, telling myself I could DO THIS without any surgery. Losses of 30lbs or so always ended with me returning to my bad eating habits and gaining all of the weight back PLUS some.

I was especially nervous when everything was out of the way and I was approved. I've never had a surgery before, never been sedated, etc. But I knew in my heart that getting healthy, being the father my two girls deserved and being able to actually do something beside wallow in self-pity and completely hate myself was more important than anything, especially pre-surgery jitters & nerves.

August 18th was the day that quite literally changed my life forever. Now on October 10th, less two months post surgery (counting 3 days of liquid diet prior), I've lost 40.2lbs. Everyone is different, but I really had no nausea post op. I followed my doctor's diet plan pretty much to a T, introducing foods as directed. The worst part of the whole ordeal was slowly introducing foods back in. GOD I wanted an egg, tuna....ANYTHING substantial for those first couple of weeks. But as time went by, I got to add "new" foods back in. I'm now eating pretty much anything I want with the exception of hard beef like steak. The surgery removed my insatiable appetite. Sugar no longer controls me. I haven't had a soda diet or otherwise since before my liquid diet began. For this infinitely tiny period of time, a bit of anxiety and a surgery that went very well what have my benefits been?

I have 100% clearer skin. I was never "pimply" but those little "chocolate zits" or whatever you want to call them that you get from eating greasy and sweet foods have all but disappeared. I have bursts of energy that started quite surprisingly about a week post op. I have a desire to not only walk, but to run! I haven't done that in ages! I've already been clothes shopping. How many times have you looked at something only to sigh to yourself when you realize they don't make it for plus-size people? Not to mention clothes that you may have held onto for years because you will fit into them again "some day." Some day has come! My mind is sharp as a razor now! I've lived for years in a "fat fog" from all the crap I used to eat on a daily basis. Feeling like I'm about to fall asleep at any moment? Gone! I'm wide awake now. I'm up before my alarm goes off at 5AM and hit the sack by 9-10 every night. Speaking of hitting the sack, I sleep so much better now because I don't ache as much from my excess weight! I also snore a lot less according to my wife! I used to take 200mg of Zoloft a day, now I take 50mg! And my libido has risen drastically. Before, my wife and I were intimate about once a week. We've spent more "together time" in one week now than we did in nearly a year before!
  • Mandy_1982
    Options
    Thank you all for your insightful replies!

I'm feeling nervous about being able to care for my little children right after surgery. I have a 3 and 5 year old that require a lot of attention and supervision.

How long did it take you all to heal?

I've never had a surgery before, never been sedated, etc.

Me either. I think this is what scares me the most. I've never even had a broken bone. To go from nothing at all to a major surgery is scary.

• KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Totally normal to feel some fear or worry. I actually halted my process for 6 months before finally getting over my fear and diving back in. Its a tough process and it can be scary. But the results are SOOOOO worth it.
    Mandy_1982 wrote: »

I'm feeling nervous about being able to care for my little children right after surgery. I have a 3 and 5 year old that require a lot of attention and supervision.

[

My son is almost two. And I'm not going to lie, caring for him afterwards was challenging. If you have family or friends who can stay with you for a few days after the surgery at least until you feel well enough to get around ok would be a good idea.

Everyone's experience is different, but for me I started feeling better by the end of the first week. Some people it takes longer. But it is a big surgery, so take it easy afterwards.

Good luck! Can't wait to see where you go on this journey. And if you ever want to get some more insight on what to expect, feel free to watch some of my video blogs on the subject. I have a youtube channel dedicated to weight loss surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBO8BrKBKwkG2yL_BHHrvbg
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Me either. I think this is what scares me the most. I've never even had a broken bone. To go from nothing at all to a major surgery is scary.

You didn't say what surgery you are having, but as far as Gastric Bypass (laproscopic)- I think you will definitely need some help with the kids - especially lifting and bending the first week or so. If you'll have a drain tube when you are discharged, you'll need to be careful with that too. Thinking of kids tugging on you, etc. It took a couple days before I could push myself out of bed or out of a recliner without assistance, and about a week before I could do it without significant pain. The pain and discomfort was mostly to do with the stitches and drain. The first day I came home (I was in hospital for 2 days - released on the 3rd) I was knocked out on painkillers most of the day. You also may have a hard time driving (again, bending/bumps/etc) and cannot drive while on painkillers. After that first few days though, the discomfort did seems to go away really quickly and every day I was amazed at how much better I felt. All these things subsided for me within about a week. I do have a pretty high pain tolerance, and I don't have little kids - but I would have definitely looked into help with them if I had. Better to prepare for that and not need it.
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options

I stayed in the hospital for one day. For the most part, I was just tired for the first two weeks. Not a lot of pain and I was able to walk around, up and down stairs and everything else. I just had a weight lifting restriction. They sent me home with pain pills, but they upset my new stomach. After two days, I stopped taking them and began taking a Tylenol twice a day, 500mg each time. After the first five days, I didn't take any pain medication. I took care of myself, followed the doctor's orders and when I returned for my follow-up 10 days after surgery, I was released to return to work with no restrictions. I had my surgery on August 18th and was back to work at my corrections officer job on September 6th (I'm off weekends and took Labor Day on the 5th just because I wanted to). The first week back at work, I was just kinda tired.

I understand your reluctance, believe me! I've never (knock on wood) had a broken bone and the thought of major surgery was intimidating to put it mildly! But in my own personal experience, if I could change anything it would be that I would have had this surgery four years ago when my wife did and coincidentally, when our insurance started approving it. It has completely changed my life for the better in so many ways, already in such a short period of time.

I hope this helps assuage your fears and reluctance.

• Mandy_1982
    Options
    Thank you for all of the positive comments. I'm so ready for this. Scared, but ready!
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    Thank you for all of the positive comments. I'm so ready for this. Scared, but ready!

That's the spirit! A bit over eight weeks out, just ate a nice piece of homemade meatloaf with scalloped potatoes for dinner last night with no issues! As I listed my positives above, things just continue to improve. I'm so happy to have finally done this after years of fretting and putting it off. I have GOT to update my profile pic though as I was about 50lbs heavier than I am now! :#