Anyone here?

jamesha100
jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
Hi,

I am just returning to MFP after a long break. Last year I lost almost three stone but put all but half a stone back on since January.

I have started again and lost 13 pounds in two weeks. I want to lose at least another three stone by Xmas if possible.

I have started the NHS Couch to 5k this week - the first run was not too bad but felt pretty self conscious.

Would be great to see some fellow STWers on here.

Replies

• cayman07
    cayman07 Posts: 77 Member
    I am in stw too

Nearly done a year of MFP currently injured so being careful
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 301 Member
    well that's 3 of us then.

Am equally on the way back from injury - broke 7 of the 9 bones in my wrist and dislocated it as well!! only just been given the go ahead for a gentle ride so no trails for me for a while :o(

Stick your headphones on, ignore any looks and go for it. If you've got a smartphone then Strava will record your run so you can compare your performance - against yourself mainly as there's not many people using it to run. I find it's better than the likes of Nike+ and MapMyRun.

13lbs in as many days is good going! Well done!
  • jamesha100
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding. My weight loss has slowed right down - just over a pound since Monday. Takes my weight loss up to a stone but it was frustrating seeing the scales not moving for a few days.

I have just done the third run in the NHS Couch to 5k week one. I do have a smartphone but it is a Galaxy Note 2 so a bit too big to take with me so I used my Garmin Edge 200 from my bike (just carried it in my hand) for tracking and an iPod Shuffle to listen to the podcast.

I did find the running pretty tough and it was only 8 x 1 minute jogs interspersed with brisk walking. I have done a couple of 100 mile days on the road bike this year so not exactly unfit cycling wise - I guess running is very different.

I started at 247 pounds and my initial goal is to get under 200 by Xmas. I am 6 feet tall so my ideal weight would be quite a bit less than that but I think it is a good initial goal.

How come both you guys are injured? - biking related?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 301 Member
    You're doing great, have been trying to stay put while injured so my scales haven't moved in weeks!

Very much a bike related injury, not entirely sure what happened but it involved a tabletop on a trail we've been riding for ages, about 25mph of speed with a huge part played by the ground. Handily we ride as a group as the next thing I know I'm sat on the trail with an ambulance on the way. Left hospital 5 days later having had a skin graft to sort out the hole in my face (literally millimetres from my eye) and numerous operations to put my wrist back together after basically turning it into a jigsaw puzzle. Gonna be another 3 months at least before it gets signed off as healed, loads of physio between now and then too.

Main sport is cycling but it's easier to fit in a half hour run here and there so I do a bit of that to maintain fitness really. Sounds like you do plenty on the bike though, have been tempted to give the road a try, especially with the Tour on at the moment, were your big rides organised ones or just a route you picked? - first things first though, need to replace the helmet I mashed in the woods!
  • jamesha100
    Hi,

The longer rides I do tend to be either audaxs or sportives.

Audax rides have a bit of an "old man" image but are great value, friendly, no fuss events. Check out the calendar at the link below:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/

Sportives can be fun but sometimes the people who do them are a bit frustrating - I had to change a tube for a guy in his 50's who punctured on one recently as he did not have a clue how to do it - he normally gets his local bike shop to do it.

I did a two day event in May called the Mitie London Revolution which circled London - 100 miles on the first day and 85 on the second. It was good fun as it went up Box Hill and we rode a few laps of Herne Hill velodrome. On balance I prefer The Cotswolds or Wales though.

Your injury sounds pretty bad. I have a few scars from cycling related injuries but nothing like you describe - I hope that things heal up soon.
  • cayman07
    cayman07 Posts: 77 Member
    Bike related, broken rib due to going one the bars in the alps, started light walking again and will now build back up, not planning on riding till end of August.

My injury seems light in comparison, I dropped my calories back once injured to mitigate piling on pounds, we will see on Thursday if I am weight stable

Hope to back in the gym first week of August for exercise bike and maybe spin week after.

I am more trying to maintain what I've lost.