Gelatin recommendations

Options
BT_rescuemom
BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
Anyone have a particular brand they like? Or should I just make bone broth?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Bone broth is definitely king when it comes to collagen but I am not good about having some every day.
    I add some hydrolyzed collagen to my coffee to help.
    I buy it on amazon from bulk supplements.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I also just recently (today) used collagen in my coffee. I used Sports Research Premium Collagen Peptides from Amazon.

I hear so much about BB but I have never made it.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Okay, so when I make broth... The collagen/gelatin is the part that gels, am I correct? I mean, it's jelly... Ergo gelatin.
    How much should I eat?
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I like the Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate (Amazon) because it blends in perfectly in hot or cold. I usually add it to a glass of water and add Dasani drops makes it seem like I am having a fruit drink. I also have sugarless gelatine for dessert - I don't know about the quality of the gelatine in that but - hey, it is a no carb dessert.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Okay, so when I make broth... The collagen/gelatin is the part that gels, am I correct? I mean, it's jelly... Ergo gelatin.
    How much should I eat?

I just heat up a cup that includes the gelatin part and drink as much as I want. But I guess the bone broth experts just say to get a cup a day...
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Bone broth it is! I have an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker which can whip up some bone broth in a couple hours vs all day on the stove. That thing is frickin amazing.
  • lauriehikes
    lauriehikes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello - so my first post here after lurking for a few months. I have been wanting to make some of this bone broth but my question is where to get the bones? I remember getting "soup bones" from the butcher as a child that we then boiled and gave to the dogs. I make chicken stock often from chicken or turkey carcasses - but where do I get beef bones?
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Any butcher would do I suppose. Ideally grass fed.

I prefer chicken bone broth myself, I just prefer the taste. Although my taste buds are changing so I'm willing to try anything a second time to see if I like it.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    How much should I eat?

I just heat up a cup that includes the gelatin part and drink as much as I want. But I guess the bone broth experts just say to get a cup a day...

Thank you!
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Any butcher would do I suppose. Ideally grass fed.

I prefer chicken bone broth myself, I just prefer the taste. Although my taste buds are changing so I'm willing to try anything a second time to see if I like it.

I agree. I've done beef bone broth and even tallow... But there's something about the beef broth that turns me off, so I never did really benefit from it.... Chicken though... Or even pork! Yum yum!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Hello - so my first post here after lurking for a few months. I have been wanting to make some of this bone broth but my question is where to get the bones? I remember getting "soup bones" from the butcher as a child that we then boiled and gave to the dogs. I make chicken stock often from chicken or turkey carcasses - but where do I get beef bones?

Most grocery stores with butchers will have them. They are often on the manager's special tray at my local King Soopers. If you don't see them, just ask, if they have a butcher, they have the bones.
    I find beef broth tastes better if I just let it simmer, not boil at all, don't forget to add some apple cider vinager, couple of tablespoons will pull the good stuff out of the bones for you. I often mix them, we go through a lot more chickens than beef stuff. That makes a really nice broth.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

Most grocery stores with butchers will have them. They are often on the manager's special tray at my local King Soopers. If you don't see them, just ask, if they have a butcher, they have the bones.
    I find beef broth tastes better if I just let it simmer, not boil at all, don't forget to add some apple cider vinager, couple of tablespoons will pull the good stuff out of the bones for you. I often mix them, we go through a lot more chickens than beef stuff. That makes a really nice broth.

Hey there's an idea!!! Thanks!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    I like the Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate (Amazon) because it blends in perfectly in hot or cold. I usually add it to a glass of water and add Dasani drops makes it seem like I am having a fruit drink. I also have sugarless gelatin for dessert - I don't know about the quality of the gelatin in that but - hey, it is a no carb dessert.

This is the brand I use as well. I add collagen to my homemade low carb gummy candies and to cottage cheese gelatin fluff, etc. lol
  • lauriehikes
    lauriehikes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll use some of the chicken stock in the freezer while I hunt for some beef bones. My taste buds are changing too - was not eating any red meat for about 20 years but decided to give it a try when I started this new WOE. Cooked (and enjoyed!) my first steak two nights ago!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I really like beef bone broth. Chicken is good too, but I liked beef better. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I would also prefer to eat beef over chicken....
    I just got some pork bones so I don't know how I'm going to like that. Pork is my least favorite meat unless it's smoked. Then it's pretty freakin awesome!
    I can't remember where I found the recipe for the broth I started making. When I first tried it I didn't know about adding apple cider vinegar. I definitely think it made a difference in the broth and how much I got out of the bones/how soft they got.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you want better tasting beef bone broth, roast the bones in a 450F oven for 20 minutes, just watch that they don't char, only brown. ACV helps in the water too like Sunny_Bunny said.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    If you want better tasting beef bone broth, roast the bones in a 450F oven for 20 minutes, just watch that they don't char, only brown. ACV helps in the water too like Sunny_Bunny said.

Great tips! I am going to try it...now to get my hands on some high quality grass fed bones
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunnie and others, for your bone broth, do you have any excess broth left over that you store in the fridge or freezer? I'm wondering about heating it up as I would most likely want to drink it in the morning before work but there's no way I'm cooking it that early in the morning. Do I just store it in glass mason jars and pop it in the microwave?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've made "bone broth" for decades from chicken/turkey carcasses for broth aka soup and freeze it. The glass jar seems it would work for freezing if it doesn't expand and crack. I store mine in a ziplock bag and thaw it in the fridge before using.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunnie and others, for your bone broth, do you have any excess broth left over that you store in the fridge or freezer? I'm wondering about heating it up as I would most likely want to drink it in the morning before work but there's no way I'm cooking it that early in the morning. Do I just store it in glass mason jars and pop it in the microwave?

Freeze it in ice cube trays then put the cubes into a freezer bag.
    Makes adding some to simmering foods really easy and I usually heat some on the stove for drinking, only making what I might use that day.