Don't know if I can do this.............am really starting to worry...............

Options
I have been eating at 1500-1550 (up from my usual 1300-1350) for about five weeks now, and added strength training through core fitness classes 3x a week. I am up THREE pounds in five weeks and weigh the most I have ever weighed in my adult life :(((( I am really wondering if I am cut out for this pyschologically :((( Can someone reassure me with what's happening here? How much more can it go up before it levels out? Did I jump too quickly?

I am in awe of how so many on this board are able to do this and NOT freak out - I'm feeling really inept in that regard :((

Replies

• misskitty0816
    misskitty0816 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say...............my TDEE should be 1700 per the calculator; my ideal weight which I held for 20+ years was 124. I started the changes with a starting weight of 134. My BMI is 21 and BF 25-26%, if that helps anyone in figuring out what is going on. I am so frustrated, I want to curl up in a ball and just sit in my house all day! I am not used to feeling so out of control with my body and its scary :((.1500 calories is NOT that much :((
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You're right 1500 calories is not that much. Try not to panic. 3 pounds could be up for any number of reasons.
    Everything you are going through and feeling is quite normal. That's why so many of us have tried to reset several times before we fully commit. It is a mind game.
    Hopefully reading this will put your mind at ease
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/
    And another thing to consider (which is way scary too) is how much power the scale has over you, and begin to think of the ways to change that in a positive way.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/why-you-need-to-break-up-with-your-scale/
    Apart from that, all I can tell you is to hang in there, stay strong and this process really is worth the end result.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Yes, 3 lbs could just be monthly fluctuation or possibly from sodium. Plus, if weight training is new it could water retention from that. It's temporary.
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    @empressichel thank you! I read everything you shared................it all makes sense logically. Psychologically I just question if I was ready. It all makes perfect sense, just having trouble mentally adjusting. I have never had to worry about weight until the last year, so it's all new territory for me. I meant to say I started this process at 130, not 134. At any rate............@Sumiblue you could be right. It's an adjustment for sure. I'm not giving up yet, but dang..............i have some mental conditioning to do :).
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Mental conditioning--I like that!
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I still can't figure out how to quote or do anything other then reply.
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @misskitty0816 at one point I gained 3 pounds in two days. No way did I eat enough to gain that. I ate cookies to feel better. It didn't help, actually the cookies tasted pretty nasty. Then I lost 4 pounds in 3 days. I was ready to stop and go back to what I was doing before, eating 1300-1400 a day. The up one day and down the next was too much for me to handle.

I had to step back and 'trust the process'. That's what I tell myself everyday. Faith in the unknown is very hard for me. I am a check list person. Do A, B, and C then D will happen. I started taking measurements in Feb of last year. I still have those. Seeing those numbers come down a bit did help me. I have tried to divorce my scale. He is nothing but bad news, and likes to tear down my self esteem. I do check in once in awhile just to prove who's the boss. But nothing more.

I focus on my being able to increase my weights I lift and how I feel over all. I have more energy, less bloating and I can see changes in my upper body and legs. I still have a big belly but I keep telling myself it will come. I just need to 'trust the process'.

I have leveled off and feel that I'm ready to try my first cut. I will give it a week or two and if it doesn't feel right, go back to TDEE. I hope this helps
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    jvezzsb01 wrote: »

Underneath the person you want to quote is a little link that says "quote":)

Please dont let the scale beat you. Three pounds is normal fluctuations for most people in a given day let alone 5 weeks. You have to remember, you are trying to lose fat, but in order to do that your body needs to put on muscle. So its normal to have a scale jump when you add in the calories because your body isnt used to getting the energy it needs. As Ichel said, the mental games are the worst.
    Know that whatever the scale says, it does not dictate how you should feel. You are worth far more than a scale number. If it bothers you, let it go.
    Remember what is more important.... what a scale says, or being able to live your life free of diet mentality and be able to eat FAR MORE than you are now and NOT gain weight and to have that fat loss you are looking for and not have to starve yourself to keep it.

Put the scale away. Honestly.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    @misskitty0816 at one point I gained 3 pounds in two days. No way did I eat enough to gain that. I ate cookies to feel better. It didn't help, actually the cookies tasted pretty nasty. Then I lost 4 pounds in 3 days. I was ready to stop and go back to what I was doing before, eating 1300-1400 a day. The up one day and down the next was too much for me to handle.

I had to step back and 'trust the process'. That's what I tell myself everyday. Faith in the unknown is very hard for me. I am a check list person. Do A, B, and C then D will happen. I started taking measurements in Feb of last year. I still have those. Seeing those numbers come down a bit did help me. I have tried to divorce my scale. He is nothing but bad news, and likes to tear down my self esteem. I do check in once in awhile just to prove who's the boss. But nothing more.

I focus on my being able to increase my weights I lift and how I feel over all. I have more energy, less bloating and I can see changes in my upper body and legs. I still have a big belly but I keep telling myself it will come. I just need to 'trust the process'.

I have leveled off and feel that I'm ready to try my first cut. I will give it a week or two and if it doesn't feel right, go back to TDEE. I hope this helps

Wow, another testament that the process works. Hearing this gives me hope. It really has been so scary. I am also a 'check the box' type of the person and when something LOGICAL yields no results, I am thrown into a state of panic and confusion. Thanks for keeping me sane - and sharing an example that shows I am not the only one going through this :).
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    jvezzsb01 wrote: »

Underneath the person you want to quote is a little link that says "quote":)

Please dont let the scale beat you. Three pounds is normal fluctuations for most people in a given day let alone 5 weeks. You have to remember, you are trying to lose fat, but in order to do that your body needs to put on muscle. So its normal to have a scale jump when you add in the calories because your body isnt used to getting the energy it needs. As Ichel said, the mental games are the worst.
    Know that whatever the scale says, it does not dictate how you should feel. You are worth far more than a scale number. If it bothers you, let it go.
    Remember what is more important.... what a scale says, or being able to live your life free of diet mentality and be able to eat FAR MORE than you are now and NOT gain weight and to have that fat loss you are looking for and not have to starve yourself to keep it.

Put the scale away. Honestly.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator

ALL GREAT WORDS OF WISDOM, I need to let them soak in. I think I am going to save these posts and keep referring back. What has been so hard for me is up until the last 2 years, I never had to worry about my weight. It's just a foreign thing for me :(( Hopefully I will eventually get there mentally. Thanks for your encouragement, Kelly!