recipe for cauliflower popcorn?

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
Does anyone have an idea for what I could replace panko/bread crumbs with to coat cauliflower? Anyone have a tried and true recipe they use?

Replies

• gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    what about pork rinds crushed up? I use pork rinds (crushed) and parmesan cheese to coat chicken and it's awesome
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I use pork rinds and parmesan for any coating like that. You would never know it's pork rinds.
    I even made a "pancake" like pizza crust for my daughter using pork rinds, eggs, parmesan and cream cheese. She loved it!
    When I told her it had pork rinds in it she didn't believe me. Lol
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've never made cauliflower popcorn but have successfully used coconut flour and almond flour to coat other fried or baked foods such as fish and chicken. Each one worked well.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've tried all of the above with success. My kid that hates pork rinds never even knows it's pork rinds. And Cauli popcorn? Do tell!!
  • merflan
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I've tried all of the above with success. My kid that hates pork rinds never even knows it's pork rinds. And Cauli popcorn? Do tell!!

Its really just cauli florets dipped in egg, then coated in panko crumbs and parmesean. I got a craving for it today.

Looks like I'll have to get me some pork rinds! Thanks everyone
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Then what? Deep fried? Baked?
  • merflan
    Options
    I fry

I fry them but you could bake as well
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I couldn't resist trying this last night. I used my rolling pin to crush pork rinds to dust, added salt, pepper and parm until I liked it. I used coconut flour first because for some reason when I deep fry stuff, egg then breading never seems to work out well. Then an egg wash then the pork rind mixture. I deep fried them until crispy. I cut the florets into differing sizes before coating and I personally liked the smaller ones better than the larger pieces. We dipped them into salsa and queso. It was wonderful! What a great deep fried treat!!!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have to admit it took me a while to hop on the pork rind band wagon because they've never been one of my favorites, but maybe it's because my tastes are a changin with my diet, because they are starting to grow on me. Would like to try them as a breading now, because my husband and daughter started doing low carb with me this week and hubby would love a chicken fried steak now and then.....

I did a chicken parmesan a couple weeks ago with egg, parmesan and almond flour and it tasted heavenly, but the breading was fairly soft....Think the pork rinds would add more crunch....
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    At an international grocery store once I found bags of pre-crumbled pork rinds. It was pretty neat, kinda like the first time I saw riced cauliflower in a bag. Some genius at the pork rind factory finally had the bright idea to package up all the crumbs! :smiley: