Supplementing Zinc Question

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, has anyone here added zinc for thyroid or other cellular support? Maria Emmerich and Chris Masterjohn have both sparked me lately.

So far I'm finding it's really helping me with unrealistic hunger, and even mood... I don't remember if it is supposed to help with those things, but so far it is...or seems to be.

Working on a more nutrient dense diet atm, still staying lower carbs, but trying to find my way and heal my body (seems I need antioxidants and more nutrients to do that, atm)...

Not advocating this for anyone without testing, but... sure is interesting. Would love to have a discussion with anyone adding zinc with any intention.

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for you. I'm interested as well.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Zinc MUST be taken with copper, which LC people don't get as much of since it is mainly in whole grains although it is also in grass fed beef & lamb. Zinc is essential to get Vit D into bone cells. LC foods that do contain copper in decent amounts are mushrooms and walnuts. The ideal ratio (in the blood, not dietary intake) for Copper:Zinc (Copper to Zinc) is 0.7 to 1.0. Copper and zinc have an interesting relationship where the intake of one of these elements causes the other element to decrease in your body.
    Here's a simple and helpful link on figuring out your supplement ratios: http://www.livestrong.com/article/511087-how-to-take-copper-with-zinc/

@ KnitOrMiss hope this helps, I take both zinc and copper (and selenium for thyroid).
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the nutritional info @canadjineh.

I take zinc 30 mg a day in a soft gel. The tablets upset my stomach so I avoid any tablet or pill form supplement.

I use it for hair loss. I used to have a glorious thick head of hair but kept losing, losing, losing it. My grandmother was nearly bald by my age and I had accepted my genetic fate and figured I would be wearing a wig. I had added every "hair" supplement except zinc so I started that without any hope. My hair loss has virtually stopped. Whereas I had a hairbrush full of hair when I washed it (every other day), now I have hardly a strand. I clean my brush weekly for cleanliness and I just about do handsprings each time since there are only a few strands in it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Zinc MUST be taken with copper, which LC people don't get as much of since it is mainly in whole grains although it is also in grass fed beef & lamb. Zinc is essential to get Vit D into bone cells. LC foods that do contain copper in decent amounts are mushrooms and walnuts. The ideal ratio (in the blood, not dietary intake) for Copper:Zinc (Copper to Zinc) is 0.7 to 1.0. Copper and zinc have an interesting relationship where the intake of one of these elements causes the other element to decrease in your body.
    Here's a simple and helpful link on figuring out your supplement ratios: http://www.livestrong.com/article/511087-how-to-take-copper-with-zinc/

@ KnitOrMiss hope this helps, I take both zinc and copper (and selenium for thyroid).

@canadjineh - Everything I have read said that you need both zinc and copper but CANNOT take them together or they won't absorb...because they compete... In food is one thing, but supplements always misbehave more than food nutrients. I need to thaw out the organ meat I have in the freezer. Walnuts and pecans and I are not friends. They make my throat and mouth itchy. :(

I'm off to go read more now...

This is part of what I've been struggling with. When I went LC, then keto, I didn't add back in the right combo of foods to supplement for what I was missing, particularly for thyroid and other support... So losing my mind down another rabbit hole...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Whoa, who'd'a thunk it?

Thanks, @canadjineh, great info.
    Suppose you could toss a few pennies in your morning coffee and be set for the day?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @RalfLott New saying, for use on those that 'seem deficient.' "Go suck a penny!" :p Unfortunately it would have to be old pennies because the newer ones were all made with a large proportion of aluminum - it's cheaper. The copper in a penny is worth more money than the cent itself, that's why Canada discontinued the use of the penny in Feb 2013. We just round up or down to the nearest nickel when purchasing with cash, but it is still exact when using Cheque, and Debit or Credit Card.
    Brings a whole new meaning tot hat metallic taste in your mouth when you are first getting finto ketosis, lol.

@KnitOrMiss Ewww, organ meat! And yes, it's a whole juggling thing with what supplements to take when, no zinc & copper together, no calcium and magnesium together, etc... A PITA, but we gotta do what it takes, eh? I counted them... I take 22 pills a day :o but it keeps me functional.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I just started the zinc too, but no copper. Good grief...I can't keep up with the pill "buddy system" - it's maddening.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I get that some combinations work against each other, BUT if we were to get our nutrients from food, the combinations would be higgeldy-piggeldy anyway. In other words, you'd be eating competing nutrients together some or even much of the time.

When I mentioned to my ND how difficult it was to supplement calcium, given that you need 4 hours on either side for anything else, her response was that OPTIMAL nutrient absorption happens if you take things well apart, but that doesn't mean you won't get benefit if you take things together or closer together than the ideal.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda/sorta have this thing, when situations get too complicated, I exit the scene, which is what happened with my relationship with supplements. We broke up.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @SuperCarLori - as bad as some foods make people feel (and I'm totally jealous of feeling like utter crappola with off plan eating - just from a motivational standpoint) - the compliment of supplements I've wrapped around to has really been helping my baseline to feel "less psycho than normal" so for me, that's a win. Getting bloodwork tomorrow, and appointment to discuss on Friday, so will report back...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @SuperCarLori - as bad as some foods make people feel (and I'm totally jealous of feeling like utter crappola with off plan eating - just from a motivational standpoint) - the compliment of supplements I've wrapped around to has really been helping my baseline to feel "less psycho than normal" so for me, that's a win. Getting bloodwork tomorrow, and appointment to discuss on Friday, so will report back...

@KnitOrMiss - Yes, please keep us posted!

@SuperCarLori - Look at it this way.... The mere fact that there are too many fats to choose from doesn't mean you should dump the whole squad of them at once. Eh?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott New saying, for use on those that 'seem deficient.' "Go suck a penny!" :p Unfortunately it would have to be old pennies because the newer ones were all made with a large proportion of aluminum - it's cheaper. The copper in a penny is worth more money than the cent itself, that's why Canada discontinued the use of the penny in Feb 2013. We just round up or down to the nearest nickel when purchasing with cash, but it is still exact when using Cheque, and Debit or Credit Card.
    Brings a whole new meaning tot hat metallic taste in your mouth when you are first getting finto ketosis, lol.

Dang... getting complicated.... so for us south of the border, we'd have to say, "Go such an old Abe." Ouch!