Exploring LCHF

Options
memickee
memickee Posts: 250 Member
Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread. Apologies if it has.

How many carbs are considered low carb diet? I have seen 20, 50, 100. I am interested in using LCHF to curb hunger. Currently I am intermittent fasting (18/6 or 19/5) and feel the LCHF will enhance the benefits.

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track! Keto level is 20 carbs or less per day, while LCHF is up to about 80-100 for most folks. It depends on your own body's insulin resistance as to how many you can tolerate. To stay in ketosis, it is usually 20 carbs or less, though.
    At the top of the group, there is a structured library of all our collected knowledge here at the LCD group.
    Check out the Launchpad for basic FAQs, recipes and more.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    @camtosh Thank you. Don't know how I missed that as I looked at other pinned items.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    @memickee keto is more like 30g of net carbs or less. Some people can go up to 50g but I think only once in a while before it kicks them out of ketosis if they were to do it regularly. Different people have different tolerances. I feel best at 25-35g net carbs.
  • ellynmae
    ellynmae Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How can I know if I am ketosis?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ellynmae wrote: »

you can buy ketostix pretty cheap at any pharmacy. Personally, I don't think you need to. I think a sure sign is when you notice you are not hungry a couple hours after you eat - you may still crave eating, but not actually be hungry. This indicates your body is using fat for energy (ketones) and is not solely relying on glucose.

For me hunger changed. There are times when I get hungry, but I no longer get hangry. This is something that has made my wife very happy.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ellynmae wrote: »

If you're eating less than 100g total a day, you will be in ketosis at least part of the time. This is usually plenty for most people. It doesn't make you lose weight faster unless maybe you have metabolic issues with insulin resistance.
    There are plenty of reasons to seek full time ketone production status, but they aren't really related to producing weight loss specifically.
    Some find the most appetite control, and just an overall feeling of well being and clarity. But these can often be enjoyed with the past time ketosis also.
    So, the lower you go, the more consistently you will be in ketosis.
  • sh512266
    sh512266 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 50g and under for a month now. I'm thinking of dropping to 20g, or maybe 30g.. so @Sunny_Bunny_ that will not help me lose more weight? I'm down to my last 9 lbs and so close to my goal that I'm too excited.

It has been a challenge to stay under 50g because I love veggies with hummus and fruit in my protein shakes, pickles etc. I have had an overcome the Keto flu by replacing electrolytes daily with Ketoade and magnesium supplements at night but I've never "felt" like I am in Ketosis. I can always eat, it might be in my mind though! My protein daily is always over 100g as well with calories set at 1200.
  • sh512266
    sh512266 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have never done Keto sticks ^^
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My breath always smells terrible when I go into ketosis.

I did keto for ages, I'm now hovering somewhere near "low carb" but not being too strict. I'm breastfeeding and running which I was never doing before so find the extra carbs don't do me any harm. Even hanging around 70-130g I still dropped about 3kg in a few days which is the same as what used to happen when I went keto.