6 days on keto and need advice and new friends!

Hello all!

I just started this keto diet and have gone for 6 days. I've been pushing through and never know when it's okay to have a cheat day. I really want to cheat a little here and there but I'm worried it'll stall me going into ketosis. I'm not even sure if I'm there or not.

Plus I would love to have some friends to give me motivation! I've been doing this on my own, but it would be awesome to see others do what I'm trying to do. :)

I'm also having problems eating enough fat and end up eating too much protein! I usually go over my protein macros and stay under my fat macros by a lot.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2016
    Of course you want to cheat a little. You just started...
    Eat low carb foods that sound good. Make your cheat something that fits the plan. But even overdoing low carb sweets will be counter productive if you do it too often.
    This helped me when I first started
    https://www.ketovangelist.com/winners-never-cheat/

If you find his first few podcasts, they are very motivating. This one is number 5.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi! Welcome! I've only been doing this a couple of weeks so take what I say with a grain of salt. YMMV.

I can attest to the fat problem. I'm actually SCARED of fat because I'm from the generation where it was beat into my head that fat is bad. Once I decided to try this, it has been a constant struggle for me to wrap my head around this. I've come a long way! I still do raise my eyebrows at some things but each week it has been easier and easier for me to either hit or get very close to my fat macro. It's made a huge difference in my wanting carbs or feel the need to cheat. Here's some tips that worked for me.

1) Fry my eggs in butter or if I have bacon I fry them right in the bacon fat.
    2) Avacados are my go to. I love them and put them on nearly everything. Of course they can be pricey if you live in the wrong part of the country.
    3) Full fat cheeses. I love dairy and I could live on cheese! So I get a good amount of fat from there.
    4) Olive Oil. I cook a lot of meats and veggies in this.
    5) Heavy whipping cream. When I scramble eggs, I will often put a couple tablespoon of this in. Cream cheese is good too. Either makes the eggs light, fluffy and tasty!

I am still working on incorporating more for a more varied approach. The longer I do all of this the less and less I even want to cheat. I don't have that bloated "I want to sleep" feeling any more and I love it.

Be warned though - This stuff is high calorie and if you are trying to lose weight along WITH this, you need to track your calories. At least I do. It might be different for someone else. It's very easy to go over on this. But at the same time, I don't have to eat huge meals to feel full. It's a trade off. :)

Hope this helps and welcome!
  • Xwxjackiexwx
    Xwxjackiexwx Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks for the tips! Yes I already cook with butter or olive oil. And I love avocado! So those are easy. It's the bacon that's kind of hard. I've never been a fan of bacon, so for most it's a great. But for me I feel like I have to force myself to eat it. Also I would love to add whipping cream to everything but I'm not sure what you use it for besides coffee and eggs and desserts. Can you give me some examples of what you use it for? Thanks!!
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    Welcome. When I started consistently adding more fat into my diet, the cravings diminished. I do grass-fed butter, MCT oil, avocado, olive oil, lots of cheese, cream cheese, bacon, occasionally almonds, and summer sausage. I mix hwc with cream cheese to make a very high fat snack.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    If you're not hungry, you don't need to add extra fat to meals beyond what's required to cook them.
    Your body will take what you have in storage.
    As you have less body fat available, your hunger will increase and adding more fat will be more required to keep you satisfied between meals.
    If you don't like bacon don't eat it. It's not a requirement.
    Eat fatty cuts of meat or add a cheese or cream based sauce to lean meats.
    I use cream to make a garlic butter sauce that I like on meat and veggies or add cheese to make it a cheese sauce.
    Simmer some cream in pot, add some garlic, salt, or other seasoning and some butter and pour on stuff.
    Other things you can add to simmering cream are
    -cream cheese
    -any cheese
    -any seasoning or herbs
    You can literally make it any flavor you want it to be with whatever spices you like.

You don't need to add as much fat to things as many keto websites would have you believe. And certainly not if you're not hungry between meals. That's the perfect sign that your body is using body fat. Let it. Don't give it extra fat it doesn't need.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Try bullet proof coffee...make sure your trying coconut oil, I personally use MCT oil...but both have wonderful, similar benefits - Friend me if you like..You can do it!! First few days are the hardest, trust me, If I can do it..you can too!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend.

You can do this. Try not to worry too much about the details, especially at the start. The biggest detail to focus on it the carbs. Control those first, and then fine tune.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    You got this!!
    Feel free to add me as well!
  • SharonK224
    SharonK224 Posts: 5 Member
    You can do it - and you'll be glad you did because you'll feel so much better! Feel free to add me.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    I would call that a SUCESS! Wouldn't you?
    Definitely! :smiley:

Feel free to add me as a friend, too.

• hmcarlt
    hmcarlt Posts: 12 Member
    You got this! I just restarted this diet and going through so of the same struggles. Feel free to add me. I would love the friendship and support!