Low carb through pregnancy

Options
BT_rescuemom
BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
Anyone have experience with this? I had to follow a diabetic diet the last 8 weeks of my full term pregnancy (11 years ago). I have been pregnant twice since then with losses. With those ones I was diabetic almost immediately. So obviously I want to stay low carb if I get pregnant again to avoid any elevated glucose that could harm the baby.

I have been doing Keto for a little over 2 weeks and I feel great most of the time, I feel I am adapting well and I feel better than I have in years. I am doing it to address my PCOS and insulin resistance. That being said, I anticipate gestational diabetes for any future pregnancy.

My plan is to add a bit of extra Cals and protein, maybe increase my carbs a bit, and call it good. For example, add two or three eggs in the morning and yogurt or kefir with some berries later in the day. Normally I do BPC meal 1, meat and veggie or salad with meat meal 2, and meat and veggie meal 3. No snacking anymore. Any thoughts, experience, or suggestions?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I am not a woman and I am not your doctor, so take this as my own personal opinion on such things. I do know people who have gone through pregnancy on a zero-carb (carnivore) diet without any issues at all. I actually know several women who have. I don't think a less extreme diet--keto--will cause any problems.

I would probably swap out the BPC for another meal of meat and veggies or the eggs like you suggest, just to balance out the nutrient availability during the day. Definitely eat enough calories to sustain the healthy growth of the child developing inside you, this is not the time for extreme weight loss. There shouldn't be a need to snack, although if you feel like another meal, have one.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Yeah, I'm certainly not going for weight loss during pregnancy. Although I am eating quite differently than I have been so I can't imagine that I would gain 50lbs like I did with my daughter. That being said, I am happy with whatever my weight does when I am pregnant as long as my blood glucose stays normal!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I didn't have gestational diabetes or pcos, but I did eat low carb most of both pregnancies because I knew fat was good for their brain development. It was harder at the beginning due to bad morning sickness, and I did more crackers and carbs then. I do attribute minimal weight gain and being at pre pregnancy weight one week post partum both times with low carb eating.

Best of luck to you!!
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wasn't strong enough to do it through mine (the smell of cooked food, especially meat, made me so sick!), but my OBGYN had no issues with me doing it for the two weeks I was able. She said the baby would get what she need before me, so I didn't need to worry about hurting the baby at all. My sister in law has to follow a very strict, doctor ordered low carb diet when she is pregnant. It is pretty much Keto. She is able to do it now, and she likes it.

I would just let your OBGYN know what you are doing in case they have any concerns, and also they may get worried about ketones in your urine (they ALWAYS brought that up! lol).
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Yeah, my OB basically said the same thing, that the baby would be fine because they are resilient. I hope I can keep doing it, I don't tend to have food aversions while pregnant.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - You had GD and went low carb with pregnancies, did you not?
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I tried but failed. I was keto.about 2months of the pregnancy but all the fat and meat made me sick and I failed to keep that woe thru although sometime i suspect the insulin injection messed me up. If it reassures you at the beginning of my pregnancy my endocrinologist, obstetrician and dietician all approved my diet and we're not worried for the baby. I am diabetic and despite staying low carb/keto I still needed insulin injection to keep by bg in check right from the start of the pregnancy while before pregnancy I wasn't taking medication. If you believe in it, your medical team is aware and you are able to do it go for it
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @baconslave - You had GD and went low carb with pregnancies, did you not?

Yup. GD with last. Went low-carb as per the doc's order after 28 weeks. Had a full term healthy baby. Breastfed him while keto for 21 months. (Then I quit low-carb because I was stupid ignoramus addicted to sweets. That's another story.)

Low-carb is fine with pregnancy. Why else would docs make a mother do it for GD? Are they going to make a mother do something unsafe for the baby? No. The baby will take from you what it needs. All the baby needs is for you to get enough micronutrients and calories. And of course for you to stay properly hydrated. Carbs are not a micronutrient. There are no essential carbs like there are fats and proteins.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Yeah, I was on a diabetic diet with my GD full term pregnancy, but I wouldn't necessarily call it low carb. 30gm for breakfast, 15gm snack, 45gm lunch, 15gm snack, and 45-60gm dinner. It did keep my blood sugars in check, but I feel like I am way more insulin resistant and carb sensitive now.