I've lost all my clothes

Options
silverfiend
silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
OK, to start, get your minds out of the gutter! LOL Yes, I'm still dressed. Last month I had to buy a new suit because my old one was now WAY too big for me. I knew the rest of the clothes in my closet would be the same but I have been putting off actually trying on everything and tossing what no longer fits. Only a few things (which were probably too tight a year ago) are left now. I have a 33 gallon trash bag full of clothes to take to our local donations drop off. I had previously rid my drawers of all my jeans ans shorts, but the replacements are getting to big for me now. I stubbornly refuse to get rid of all my XL t-shirts. They will just have to get gradually replaced as I travel and buy new ones.

I hate buying clothes, but I have no more dress-shirts (except for the 2 I bought with my suit), only 4 polos (and I'm not 100% happy with them), no dress-pants, no sweaters.

It's a really good reason to replace my clothes, but that is a lot of $$$ in that trash bag. I guess I have no choice but to begin slowly buying proper fitting replacements, t-shirts aint gonna cut it when winter gets here!

srpoc079hdsq.jpg

6vcgl6v9habf.jpg

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are an awesome place to find clothes without spending a fortune!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I also hate clothes shopping (though that may change in a few sizes :) ) and really hate spending money on them. I agree with @tcunbeliever ...thrift stores, consignment, e-bay are awesome! I actually buy most of my families' clothes used because I'm a cheapskate and we're living off one income.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Wtg.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Wtg.

What she said!

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    OK, to start, get your minds out of the gutter! LOL Yes, I'm still dressed. Last month I had to buy a new suit because my old one was now WAY too big for me. I knew the rest of the clothes in my closet would be the same but I have been putting off actually trying on everything and tossing what no longer fits. Only a few things (which were probably too tight a year ago) are left now. I have a 33 gallon trash bag full of clothes to take to our local donations drop off. I had previously rid my drawers of all my jeans ans shorts, but the replacements are getting to big for me now. I stubbornly refuse to get rid of all my XL t-shirts. They will just have to get gradually replaced as I travel and buy new ones.

I hate buying clothes, but I have no more dress-shirts (except for the 2 I bought with my suit), only 4 polos (and I'm not 100% happy with them), no dress-pants, no sweaters.

It's a really good reason to replace my clothes, but that is a lot of $$$ in that trash bag. I guess I have no choice but to begin slowly buying proper fitting replacements, t-shirts aint gonna cut it when winter gets here!

srpoc079hdsq.jpg

6vcgl6v9habf.jpg

That is a wonderful problem to have.

Maybe some of the suits, not so old and worn out jeans & shirts could be taken to a cosignment shop? They are good places to find replacement clothes as well. My husband had good luck with cosignment shopping, he had to wear suits everyday at a few jobs. Luckily he is retired now and doesn't have to wear anything he doesn't want to now.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Look at you in your bold new red shirt! You look fab :smiley: I hate buying new clothes too, especially since I'm still losing. Are you at goal yet? You look like you probably are, if so, take the plunge and treat yourself!! Big tees are fine for around the house, but wear clothes that fit you when you're out and about, it'll help remind you to eat right every day when you don't have any baggy pants/shirts that you can fill out again.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You are looking very svelte.

I second at least trying thrift or consignment shops. Clothes can be so expensive!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Great problem to have! I made the mistake of going out a buying new clothes DURING the process and then had to go shopping yet again (mostly pants). It's so expensive yet a great time to purge the closet. :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    eBay is also great, you can get brand new clothes with the tags on them for the fraction of the price in the stores.
  • silverfiend
    Options
    Look at you in your bold new red shirt! You look fab :smiley: I hate buying new clothes too, especially since I'm still losing. Are you at goal yet? You look like you probably are, if so, take the plunge and treat yourself!! Big tees are fine for around the house, but wear clothes that fit you when you're out and about, it'll help remind you to eat right every day when you don't have any baggy pants/shirts that you can fill out again.

Thanks!
    I have 10 more pounds to go to reach my goal, but I'm close enough that it won't change how clothes fit.
  • silverfiend
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »
    Great problem to have! I made the mistake of going out a buying new clothes DURING the process and then had to go shopping yet again (mostly pants). It's so expensive yet a great time to purge the closet. :)

I had to replace my jeans several months ago. I bought new shorts about a month or so ago (size 33!) my jeans are still 36's so will have to replace them before long.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Think of this as a terrific opportunity to build a small, minimalist wardrobe of things you truly enjoy and are proud of. I've been working over the last year to prune things from my closet that are there because, well, because they're there. And trying to replace them with the minimum number of items I can hold myself to. After I lost two/three clothing sizes I went through the old stuff that I could wear again and found things that still had the price tags hanging on them, for good reason because they were chintzy and/or uncomfortable.

Thrift stores and consignment shops are deadly for me personally. I wind up buying things I either don't really like or don't really need. They're just such a BARGAIN!!!!!

Your "after" photo is Da Bomb. Congratulations.

• CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job! My husband & I had the same problem. He lost over 90lbs and I lost over 60lbs. This took 9 months. During that time we had to 'cycle' through several clothes sizes, so I sold our old clothes on eBay and bought some 'used' ones on there to see us through.
    I have ended up with a super cute wardrobe at a fraction of the price. My husband is fussy and won't wear 2nd hand, but we just bought him less LOL!!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, invest in a few good pieces since you are so close to goal. Use consignment shops for "around the house" and weekend duds! Congratulations on such an awesome journey.