First time Fathead!

Options

Replies

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bininj wrote: »
    What is the base made of? What does fathead mean?

Here's a link to the recipe.
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/
    I think there are some slight variations of it out there too ???
    I've heard of people adapting this basic recipe to make crackers too and it mentions that in this link as well.
    I've never tried it myself. I always make pizza without a crust at all. I've always avoided it because of the fiber, (doesn't digest well for me) but upon looking at the recipe, it's quite low fiber as well. It might actually be something I could eat on occasion.
    If nothing else I should make these for the family and get them off the low carb tortillas I currently use for their crust. They still contain wheat. I hate using them but my son and husband don't care for my crustless version. I really should make a sandwich bread for my sons lunch too. :/

It's absolutely the best. I must be the only person though that has to stop themselves from eating the whole thing. It's just so good!!!
    Here's the link I use for mine.
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/06/30/weekend-bonus-the-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @tri_gal_87 Nope you're not the only one, I usually devour half the pizza at a time and stop myself, lol. That recipe looks great!
  • MindfulMother
    MindfulMother Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I came across this recipe recently and wondered if it was as good as they claimed. I really appreciate you sharing this as I will be having this for dinner tonight!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's the best low carb crust I have ever made!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Bumping this now that I bought the ingredients... just gotta push myself to make it. I am so NOT a rolling-out-dough person. Made a pie once (in 52 yrs) and used a press-in short crust. It looks so good though, and I do miss pizza.

The rolling isn't to perfection, really. A quick roll to thin it out is really all you need. Don't worry about pretty edges or symmetrical, I say. quickest rolling I've ever done and I do make pies and cookies, etc....well I used to make them :smiley:

ETA: roll fast though, it will firm up quickly if off heat too long.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I kinda just spread it out with my fingers and that worked fine
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I stick my hand in a baggie and press down on the oiled cookie sheet. This works great! As for portioning... I make 2 pizzas, one for my husband and one for me, but mine lasts 3 days! So rich and filling,,, yumm yummmmm!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What pizza sauce do you guys use? Or just regular tomato paste ok?
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What pizza sauce do you guys use? Or just regular tomato paste ok?

I use Rao's Marinara usually - just because it has no added sugar (and tastes great, but it's pricey). We are having pizza night on Friday this week, and I'm going to use a cream sauce just to mix it up. Something like this, but without the spinach & artichokes (which I like, just don't feel like this week):

http://www.thetwobiteclub.com/2011/07/spinach-artichoke-alfredo-pizza.html
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    I use Full Circle brand (I think it's specific to Brookshire's and their stores) crushed tomatoes - it's the lowest carb I can find then I add my own garlic, etc to it.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I kinda just spread it out with my fingers and that worked fine

This ... it's what I did and it was just perfect. I can't find low carb pizza sauce though so I just used the lowest regular one I could find and put it on sparingly.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow, hubby and I love pizza. I'm going to have to try this. :)
  • RAC56
    Options
    The recipe says: "To make the base really crispy and sturdy, flip the pizza over (onto baking paper/parchment) once the top has browned."

For those of you who have made this pizza, did you do that step quoted above? Did you flip the pizza over? If so, did it make a major difference or is the pizza sturdy enough to be held without that extra step?

• HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use Rao's as well -- yummy yummy! Now I feel like we need to have this for dinner on Friday!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    The recipe says: "To make the base really crispy and sturdy, flip the pizza over (onto baking paper/parchment) once the top has browned."

For those of you who have made this pizza, did you do that step quoted above? Did you flip the pizza over? If so, did it make a major difference or is the pizza sturdy enough to be held without that extra step?

I've made it both ways, flipped and not flipped. The flipped was a little sturdier, but not necessary in my opinion.

As for the sauce, I love white pizza, so I use garlic puree, garlic butter, or alfredo sauce, and skip the tomato sauce altogether.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I did not flip it, and the crust was sturdy enough to hold like a normal thin crust.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    No flipping here.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    A good Passata sauce is what I've always used for pizza. Fresh flavour (since it starts out uncooked and NOTHING is added except occasionally basil leaves), quite low in carbs. Here's a link to MFP macro counts. *note* 1 dl is a decilitre (1/10th of a litre) 100ml (approx 250 ml in a cup). Passata is easy to find here but may have to be hunted up in a specialty grocery in the States, I'm not sure.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes I flip it to make it extra crispy but would probably depend on your oven. I love this recipe. The toppings you can put on are endless. My favourite is just a classic cheese and pepperoni, perhaps with a bit of bacon. Bacon goes everywhere with me! haha
  • RAC56
    Options
    YUM!!! I made this today for lunch. I only had 2 pieces, out of 6, and I'm STILL full. Guess I'll have one pecan for dinner, lol. Pizza was the only thing I was missing and this recipe is perfect. :)