Grass fed fats sources

Options
BT_rescuemom
BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
Where do you all typically get your grassfed fats? I'm talking beef tallow, lard, duck fat, etc... Do you try to stay local and find a farmer near to you or do you order online? I am feeling very picky lately about the quality of my fats, and want to find some good sources.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    eatwild.com was one site someone linked me to as far as finding local farmers, sustainable and such. I will look and find more links as I come across them. Local butchers can typically direct you, as well.

I have also found tallow, lard, and duck fat on the shelves at my local Sprouts store, just last night, though they weren't on my list, so I didn't inspect them to see if they were grass fed.

That being said, thrive.com is another online place I've been told is decent and sustainable and all that mess.

I think if you google something akin to localharvest.org might have resources, too, as that's COOPs, CSA (community supported agriculture), etc., as well as local farmer's markets...and such.

Also I think eatwellguide.org was another place showing locally available shops...

https://mercola.com/beef/cla.htm is another link I saved in this same "bundle" though why is not 100% clear to me at the moment.

Hopefully something here will help you, @BT_rescuemom ...
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the tips!
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    grasslandbeef.com
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    How about a local butcher or meat processor - a lot of that is just trash parts to them.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    How about a local butcher or meat processor - a lot of that is just trash parts to them.

I asked around in my local friend group and actually found a fantastic local butcher, all their meat is pastured and free range, and they had lard and tallow in containers! This may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Of course I asked about duck and rabbits, because I like varieties of proteins and fats and they carry both seasonally. I picked up some pork belly when I was there to make chicharones. My husband is going to want to marry me all over again I think.

The thing I'm finding out about eating this way is that we are not really consuming the vast quantities of food that we were when eating SAD, so I can afford to choose higher quality meats, fats, and veggies. And, we are not going out to eat much at all (Jimmy John's once a week), so that decreases the food budget as well.

I am definitely going to shop around some of the online places mentioned, but honestly the lard and tallow were way less expensive than I thought. Yay fat!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I wish I could find one that thinks that way.
    So far, I've bought ordinary bones at a nearby butcher and grass fed from a local farmer. I don't know how many pounds I got but it was $21 for 2 bags of bones. One pork and one beef. It can't be more than 3 pounds. I'll only get big pots of broth from that $21!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Looked into this, saw the prices, popped some more fish oil and stopped caring what my food eats. Those vendors have lost their minds.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Whew...I thought I was the only one @Gallowmere1984. I can't bring myself to pay so much extra for that sort of thing, or organic food but always feel bad because I'm doing such an injustice to my family by feeding them regular foods. I keeping thinking one hurdle at a time...and I pay way too much to make sure Anna stays LCHF by buying seven dollar a loaf low carb breads.
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started eating grass fed because I care how animals live their lives; however, I have not had a kidney stone since switching (five years now), and I had really bad episodes (including two surgeries) for years before, so I now also consider it a health expense, whether it was a coincidence or not. Our local source has limited quantities; there are more options in the Triangle for those in NC.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What is beef tallow? Is used like cooking other cooking fats?
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We also get ours from grasslandbeef.com
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    madkcole wrote: »
    What is beef tallow? Is used like cooking other cooking fats?

Rendered beef fat. People use it for frying.
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I find local farmers that may borne registered as organic but use organic practices. My province just this past aug had a meet the provincial farmers day. I was unable to go but am planning on it next year. I have found a chicken farmer who sell chicken backs (with a little bit of meat still!) for $1.25lb where if it was organic it would be closer to $5 with no meat.