macronutrients

Options
LastChanceKY
LastChanceKY Posts: 13 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Hi everyone. I'm on my second week and have been trying to stick to my macronutient goals. At the moment I'm not reaching my grams for fat, carbs or protein but my percentages are fine. For instance today my protein and fat are at 36% each and carbs at 28% although I still have 134g of protein, 148g of carbs and 58g of fat left to meet my MFP goals. I still have 800 calories to try and use today but should my focus be on consuming my grams of each macronutient or be happy with my percentages.

Cheers

Kenny

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    At this point you want to just focus on getting the calories in. That is first and foremost. once the calories are where they need to be, THEN you can focus more on the macros and get them in line for the right percentages.. So it really doesnt matter if you are focusing on % or grams.. the calories have to be the first thing to focus on.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • LastChanceKY
    Options
    Thanks Kelly.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes the calories at the right level should be your focus right now.
    Nail one thing consistently before moving on to the next.
    When you have that at the right level, then start honing in your macros with your focus on protein.
    But keep trying to get those calories up for now!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • LastChanceKY
    Options
    Thanks empressichel. I'm guilty of flinging myself into a new challenge all guns blazing wanting to maximise results. I will take on board what you and Kelly have said. Would you recommend that I eat my full calories on the days when I'm not strength training too.
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over a year and I'm still working on getting my calories up where they need to be. But I also started out super, super low. I was under eating by more than 1200 calories a day. I still have days that I can't hit the 2000 mark, but at least I'm much closer now than I was when I started.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thanks empressichel. I'm guilty of flinging myself into a new challenge all guns blazing wanting to maximise results. I will take on board what you and Kelly have said. Would you recommend that I eat my full calories on the days when I'm not strength training too.

Yes it should be worked out as an average so you are eating the same every day.
    When you worked out your TDEE, it is for your weekly activity level.
    Often it's the day after or hours after your workout when your body is hungriest.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator