Do you count calories on keto?

Options
2»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

How did you arrive at 1400 as the the number of calories to eat to lose? 1800-2000 may be a better number for you and may result weight loss. Time will tell and more than 3 days is needed.

When I tried calorie deficit I was doing 1200 cal a day and was able to stay around there but wasn't losing weigh. After I use that keto calculator it said 1400 cal was my new goal so that's what I set it up as. All the high fat stuff I'm eating is what's pushing my calories over but my macros are right on point (% wise I'm good but I go over on grams of fat and protein)

Just a thought and something to try if you're wanting to eat at the lower amount based on what was provided by the keto calculator: serve yourself a portion that keeps you at the number of calories you want, eat it and don't go back for seconds. Wait a good 20 minutes to half hour and see if you are hungry.

You may already be doing this which makes it N/A for you but perhaps it will help someone else. I have always been a fast eater (reads inhales food) and one thing keto has taught me is portion control because every little thing is so calorie dense. The "portions" on my plate are so much smaller on keto than they ever were before cuz calories.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    3 days is not enough time to be considered a stall though. Women do have times in their cycle where they feel more.. ravenous I'd say, where we overeat. Usually just before our TOM, during, and during ovulation. If you are in any of those 3 categories that might be why you are feeling more hungry and it's normal. During these times I overeat too (too many snacks) but try to stick to my 20 carbs

If this turns into a consistent thing where you're still feeling hungry and want to fit in more food try eating lean protein (chicken, ham, turkey, fish, shrimp etc) with a small amount of fat to stay under your calorie goal.

Yes! It's actually my time of the month... I'm not sure how it affects my diet since this is the first time doing this. But I was able to stay away from my big box of chocolates! I always crave chocolates when it's time but I resisted this time.

There ya go, that's it then :) My go to snacks:

Lindt 90% dark chocolate - I don't like dark chocolate so it's impossible for me to eat more than 2 squares at a time, but I still get chocolate so lose/win lol
    Chocolate protein powder - Isopure makes a 0 carb protein powder, I make chocolate mug cakes with it
    Parsnip chips - available at whole foods and trader joes
    Almonds - There's SO many flavors, I like salt and vinegar, habanero BBQ and smokehouse.
    Tea - chocolate or fruity teas, with a tiny bit of heavy cream or sugar free vanilla syrup to sweeten them
    Keto hot chocolate - Chocolate protein powder with hot water and hot heavy whipping cream
    Fat bombs - Low sugar peanut butter mixed with coconut oil, microwaved together then mix them up. Freeze them in silicone molds or an ice cube tray works too. Google fat bombs, there's tons of recipes.

http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/
    https://theproteinchef.co/healthy-low-carb-protein-mug-cake-recipe/
    https://makan.ch/recipe/bulletproof-hot-cocoa/

This is your time to explore new recipes. Keep on keepin on!
  • Xwxjackiexwx
    Xwxjackiexwx Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yes!!! I'm a very fast eater and practically inhale my food. I haven't gone back for seconds since starting keto but I will try getting smaller portions to begin with. I definitely eat with my eyes. I also have a problem with leaving uneaten food. I hate wasting food and always feel like I have to clean the plate even if I'm full. This especially hurts when we go out to eat and there's leftovers but not enough to take home. I practically force myself to eat it because we paid for it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Yes!!! I'm a very fast eater and practically inhale my food. I haven't gone back for seconds since starting keto but I will try getting smaller portions to begin with. I definitely eat with my eyes. I also have a problem with leaving uneaten food. I hate wasting food and always feel like I have to clean the plate even if I'm full. This especially hurts when we go out to eat and there's leftovers but not enough to take home. I practically force myself to eat it because we paid for it.

Use a smaller plate and put half of the portion in tupperware for your lunch tomorrow. I do much better mentally with a loaded up small plate than a sparsely filled large plate. And then I don't have to think about or pack lunch in the morning! :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

What you could do is get an extra plate and share your meal with someone. The US gives ridiculous portions so usually one meal at ihop is enough for both me and my toddler. We all order with the intention of sharing each others plates. So for example I order an omlette with "shell eggs" (no pancake batter) and it comes with a side of hashbrowns (basically a plate of potatoes) AND a pancake. My toddler gets 1/2 of the pancake, 1/2 of the hashbrowns and some eggs and I get most of the omlette (they are huge). My husband will eat whatever is left with what he ordered (usually something carby) or we will pack up all our food in one to go box.

For stuff at home, make lots of meals and split it up across a few lunches/dinners. No need to waste it!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Calories count

Eating more veggies fills my stomach on fewer calories so it seems like limitless eating

It is possible to break any diet and gain weight. It is harder on low carb but it can be done

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

I'm an inhaler too...it's hard to slow down and I have no idea why I do it. That may be the best after effect of my weight loss surgery - I can't eat too much in one setting or the pain is unbearable. However I can graze all day...sigh...

Take the left overs home and any time you can ask for the food without the whatever you won't/don't want to eat, ask. If my burger comes with fries I tell them not to serve them to me or ask for another option when possible. I also go bunless so I don't even see it to want to taste it.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have found that I must count both calories and carbs. I can occasionally go over a bit on calories, but then I'll be under later in the week. Try any one of the options above and see how you progress. Welcome aboard.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I pay very close attention to carbs and keep an eye on calories so I guess I do both to a certain degree.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I count calories and carbs. It helps me keep my portion sizes down.