Fasting timing?

Options
BT_rescuemom
BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
It seems as though most people do their IF in the morning, and then eat in the afternoon/evening. Do you get the same benefit by fasting from, say 2pm to 9am? I enjoy eating in the morning and into the early afternoon, and I find it hard to fast until the afternoon.

Also...the magnesium citrate in my cupboard is looking very temping. I think it's been 5 days since, well, things have "moved" so to speak. Ugh. I am on progesterone as part of my infertility regimen and I'm thinking this is the unfortunate side effect. Pushing the water and coffee.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can set the timing to your liking. I do the morning because I'm just naturally not hungry then. Even before keto I almost never ate breakfast. So that just fits me perfectly.
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any difference when you do your IF. I tend to do morning as well because I just don't enjoy eating right away when I get up...it has always made me nauseous. Just seemed like the best for my schedule. If I worked either a second or third shift, I would definitely adjust it to work with whatever was easiest.

Drink lots of water and coffee...that's the worst. Just another thought -- Do you take prenatal vitamins that have iron? That can cause constipation too...in addition to the progesterone. Sorry you are feeling that, it is miserable.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I change my timing up based on what works best with my schedule that day. Some mornings I am running around like crazy, so not eating until noon or so works for me then. Other evenings when we are busy with after school activities, skipping dinner is easier. On the days I skip dinner, I actually find it easier to do a longer fast. I'll have my last food around 2 pm, and then not eat again until noon the next day. I've done that a few times now, and I always feel so accomplished :lol: .

Do you supplement with magnesium? I spread my magnesium out throughout the day (magnesium citrate powder) and *usually* don't have that sort of problem. Good luck!

• BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses about the fasting. I think I will just keep doing whatever feels right, so it seems that will be skipping dinner sometimes. I will still try to prolong the morning fasting time as long as possible, but it's a fat fast because I've become quite attached to my bulletproof coffee in the morning. Maybe I will eventually get used to delaying my food intake and it will become more comfortable to me.

Regarding supplements, I take magnesium at night, along with CoQ10 and Vit D, I take folate in the morning. I don't take a prenatal, so no iron supplement. I also do inositol twice a day.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    YMMV (and without meaning to sound political), but I personally find daily fiber intake (and plenty of fluids) gives direction and definition to the entire movement.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    The timing on the IF is just personal preference - do what works best for you. I personally don't eat breakfast since I workout first thing and exercise kills my appetite, along with strong black coffee so my window is normally eating from noon to 8pm.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, there's a recent, fascinating podcast on Rhonda Patrick's FoundMyFitness channel about the benefits of "fasting mimicking" diet. https://youtu.be/d6PyyatqJSE